+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR came back with PRTD but need to leave for emergency.

Caba10

Jan 16, 2020
Hello,

I became a PR in early 2010's when I was a minor but didn't stay in Canada due to my parents job so had to go back with them. But by the time I became a major my PR Card expired by than, however I applied for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), and it got approved and I was able to return back to Canada and currently studying in University.

I'm leaving here now for almost 6 months. My PRTD also expired. So I was told I have to meet my Residency Obligation and I can renew my PR Card.

Currently I need to leave Canada since one of my family member has gotten really really sick. I currently don't know what to do in this situation since both my PR Card and PRTD are expired but I need to leave for an emergency reason.

Please let me know what I can do to leave for few days to see them and come back.

Caba10

Jan 16, 2020
There's not much. You'll need to apply for a new PRTD on humanitarian grounds.
So should I do this before I leave or after I leave since I also have to come back and since I can't miss to many days for my classes as well.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there. So when you mean by qualify for PR card does that mean for renewal of the card or for an new application of PR?
For a new card. No need for a new PR application. You got approved to keep your PR status based on H&C reasons.

Caba10

Jan 16, 2020
For a new card. No need for a new PR application. You got approved to keep your PR status based on H&C reasons.
Oh that is really good to know since I'm the only one here and was told by many that I have to stay here for 2 years than I'm eligible for a renewal so I can travel again without applying for a PRTD.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok if you got H&C PRTD you could have applied back then for PR card no problems there. That 2 years advise was for people that went through USA border without being reported. However attention, leaving without PR and applying for PRTD can lead to a new investigation, that will check all your days spent in Canada since then and if your H&C grounds are still valid for new PRTD. So it would have been easier for you to get PR and then negotiate when crossing the borders.

sbeth

Sep 24, 2018
ok if you got H&C PRTD you could have applied back then for PR card no problems there. That 2 years advise was for people that went through USA border without being reported. However attention, leaving without PR and applying for PRTD can lead to a new investigation, that will check all your days spent in Canada since then and if your H&C grounds are still valid for new PRTD. So it would have been easier for you to get PR and then negotiate when crossing the borders.
Hello, I'm also in the same situation. I have stayed here about little over half a year. I also got a PRTD on H&C. So what is the best thing to do since I already finished the border/immigration what's the best situation now to renew PR? Just apply for a renewal since I came under the category of H&C?