+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR but staying in PH for college

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
Is there anything I could do for them to allow me to study outside Canada for 4 years while not losing my residency status?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are planning on living in Canada longterm it doesn’t make a lot of sense to go to school in the PH. Your degree won’t be recognized by many employers. Would really be best for you future to study in Canada if you plan on settling in Canada.

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
If you are planning on living in Canada longterm it doesn’t make a lot of sense to go to school in the PH. Your degree won’t be recognized by many employers. Would really be best for you future to study in Canada if you plan on settling in Canada.
Yeah but like, I will be coming back and forth to fulfill my missing days. So if I work it that way, do you think it wil be okay?

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
Yeah but like, I will be coming back and forth to fulfill my missing days. So if I work it that way, do you think it wil be okay?
And I've stayed here in the Philippines for about 1 yr and 3 months now but i am still good in the 5 years rolling period of permanent residency, so If i will go back this month, I dont have to worry anything right?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
You will no meet the RO if you stay in the Philippines for 4 years and just come back to Canada every now and again. As Canuck said it would be better to get an education here as the qualifications will be recognized.

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
You will no meet the RO if you stay in the Philippines for 4 years and just come back to Canada every now and again. As Canuck said it would be better to get an education here as the qualifications will be recognized.
I called them, IRCC, last year before I left but they told me it is okay for me to stay more than a year even if I am only a PR for as long as I go back and forth and maintain the 4 rolling years, they said there's no problem about it. Now, I am confused.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I called them, IRCC, last year before I left but they told me it is okay for me to stay more than a year even if I am only a PR for as long as I go back and forth and maintain the 4 rolling years, they said there's no problem about it. Now, I am confused.
You said in your first post you were going to be out of Canada for 4 years. You need to be in Canada for 730 days in the 5 years.If you can do that with coming back and forth, then you are fine, but based on your first post you will not meet RO. Are you planning to come back 3 months a year in your study break?

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
You said in your first post you were going to be out of Canada for 4 years. You need to be in Canada for 730 days in the 5 years.If you can do that with coming back and forth, then you are fine, but based on your first post you will not meet RO. Are you planning to come back 3 months a year in your study break?
Yes that's actually what I'm gonna do. I will be coming back forth for 3 months every year, so... will i still get in trouble if I'd do that?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
3 months a year x 5 = is only 450 days. You have to get to 730 days, so if you only do that you will fail RO

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
3 months a year x 5 = is only 450 days. You have to get to 730 days, so if you only do that you will fail RO
I stayed in canada since June 2014 and I just left March of 2018. So, I am planning to submit a citizenship application this June or next year June.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
You really should have said that in your opening post then. Yes ok if you have been here for 4 years you are ok right now.