+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Background check question

sarah0315

Feb 26, 2009
I got the "ok" for my extension to stay in Canada. Now I'm filling out my PR forms. I'm finshed but when I was reading through the Medical/ Background check information page, it says my family members have to go through a background check as well, even if they don't plan to join me in Canada. I don' really understand that. My parents are in their 50's and have no intention on living in Canada ever. Do I really have to get my parents to do a background check? And if so, how will I be able to get the information on that to send off with my forms.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sarah0315 said:
I got the "ok" for my extension to stay in Canada. Now I'm filling out my PR forms. I'm finshed but when I was reading through the Medical/ Background check information page, it says my family members have to go through a background check as well, even if they don't plan to join me in Canada. I don' really understand that. My parents are in their 50's and have no intention on living in Canada ever. Do I really have to get my parents to do a background check? And if so, how will I be able to get the information on that to send off with my forms.
No, they only do the background on the applicant and the family members who are in the application and emigrating.

PMM

sarah0315

Feb 26, 2009
Yes thank you, I realized that once I read it over again. So sorry. Kind of skimmed past and saw that part and panicked a little. I have 1 more question. I was looking through my paperwork, and noticed on the CiC website that they do not provide the fingerprint or police certificate papers, but I have those papers from old paperwork. Then I browsed around a little and found this.

"If you want to immigrate to Canada, you and your dependants may have to provide police certificates when you submit your application for permanent residence. Visa offices may also request certificates from students and temporary foreign workers."

"How to obtain a police certificate
Canada

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Only in certain cases. The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian police clearance once your application is being processed."

I'm pretty confused. Do I not need to include this?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sarah0315 said:
Yes thank you, I realized that once I read it over again. So sorry. Kind of skimmed past and saw that part and panicked a little. I have 1 more question. I was looking through my paperwork, and noticed on the CiC website that they do not provide the fingerprint or police certificate papers, but I have those papers from old paperwork. Then I browsed around a little and found this.

"If you want to immigrate to Canada, you and your dependants may have to provide police certificates when you submit your application for permanent residence. Visa offices may also request certificates from students and temporary foreign workers."

"How to obtain a police certificate
Canada

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Only in certain cases. The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian police clearance once your application is being processed."

I'm pretty confused. Do I not need to include this?
You don't require a Canadian Police Cert. unless CHC/CIC asks for it.

PMM

abamn

Aug 24, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

sarah0315 said:
No, they only do the background on the applicant and the family members who are in the application and emigrating.

PMM

What do you need to qualify for an extension??

Abamn