+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR as administrative assistant?

stella.mi

Oct 21, 2017
Hi everyone. Would appreciate any help I can get!

Like everyone else the applying for any kind of visa/residency is very confusing.

I live in Toronto since August and work on a work and holiday visa (valid for a year) and I live with my boyfriend (Canadian) here. I don't like my current job, so I'm looking for another one. Since I have a lot of work experience with administration/reception back home in Sweden Im thinking of applying to jobs as an administrative assistant here.

Now to the question, The NOC code for administrative assistant is 1241, skilltype B. Would I be able to apply for a PR with this job title? According to the governments noc code list it should be all right? However I saw in another thread that someone said it probably wouldn't work but I can't seem to understand why that would be.

So does anyone have a straight answer if I can apply for a PR working as an administrative assistant?

Thank you!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can apply for PR - however there are a number of different requirements you need to meet. Simply having an administrative assistant job in Canada isn't enough to qualify to apply.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Back in 2013 certain occupations were no longer accepted under the CEC program (which included administrate assistants) this no longer applies since the implementation of express entry in 2015.

You are free to apply with such NOC.

stella.mi

Oct 21, 2017
You can apply for PR - however there are a number of different requirements you need to meet. Simply having an administrative assistant job in Canada isn't enough to qualify to apply.
I understand it's not easy. What are you thinking specifically?

stella.mi

Oct 21, 2017
O
Back in 2013 certain occupations were no longer accepted under the CEC program (which included administrate assistants) this no longer applies since the implementation of express entry in 2015.

Oh thank you! So I'm free to apply to these types of jobs?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Education, language skills, age, etc.

Most importantly if you want to apply as a CEC applicant you need a year of full-time skilled work experience. Since your work permit is only valid for a year this would be extremely hard to achieve.

stella.mi

Oct 21, 2017
Education, language skills, age, etc.

Most importantly if you want to apply as a CEC applicant you need a year of full-time skilled work experience. Since your work permit is only valid for a year this would be extremely hard to achieve.
Yes I know it's not easy. I'm going to apply for another IEC (young professional visa) so that will add another year of experience.

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Yes I know it's not easy. I'm going to apply for another IEC (young professional visa) so that will add another year of experience.
Hi Stella,
Use the following to determine that you're eligible, now that you know the 'Administrative Assistant' position qualifies for consideration:

Determining Your Eligibility for Express Entry
The first thing you need to do is check your eligibility for Express Entry (EE). Unless you have 1-year of full-time Canadian work experience, you would most likely be trying to apply under the FSW programme.
If you are NOT eligible under any of these three programmes, you are unfortunately not eligible to apply for permanent residency through Express Entry (but there may be other ways for you to pursue permanent residency – these additional ways will not be covered here).

If you ARE eligible under one or more of these three programmes, please note that this does NOT guarantee you will receive an Invitation to Apply for permanent residency. Read on to learn more about your likelihood of receiving an invitation.

Determining Your Likelihood for being Invited to Apply for Permanent Residency (if you’re eligible for Express Entry)

If you're eligible for EE, you need to calculate your projected Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Score.

The CRS Score is what IRCC uses to determine which candidates will get an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency. The general consensus is that, at least at the time of writing this, you need a CRS score of at least 435 to have a chance at getting an ITA; but please note that this could easily change in the future.

jayne20475

Dec 6, 2017

Hi! A friend of mine is trying to apply to CEC as NOC 1221 (Administrative Officers) and she believes she is not eligible due to that NOC code not being accepted.

I've been looking to try and find something which states that since express entry was implemented in 2015 she can now apply. Do you know where on the government website I could find this? I've been looking but can't find anything.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi! A friend of mine is trying to apply to CEC as NOC 1221 (Administrative Officers) and she believes she is not eligible due to that NOC code not being accepted.

I've been looking to try and find something which states that since express entry was implemented in 2015 she can now apply. Do you know where on the government website I could find this? I've been looking but can't find anything.
Yes, there is information stating that there are no NOC restrictions, I simply do not have it bookmarked.

Also, I have friends who are now permanent residents and who used their administrative assistant NOC as their primary NOC.

jayne20475

Dec 6, 2017
Yes, there is information stating that there are no NOC restrictions, I simply do not have it bookmarked.

Also, I have friends who are now permanent residents and who used their administrative assistant NOC as their primary NOC.
Thank you so much for your help!

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
I have a question regarding admin assistant, how many duties we have to meet?

I am working in a large corporate (Like Johnson&Johnson, Microsoft or KPMG) and there is more than 1 person to perform 1 person job. . I just afraid if I only get 6-7 matches and I won't be qualify to apply. Could you please take a look for me?

Blue mean i did that , red mean i didn't , I do have 1-2 more duties that isn't list on the NOC 1241 website becassue it is too specificed.

NOC 1241 Administrative Assistant:
  • Prepare, key in, edit and proofread correspondence, invoices, presentations, brochures, publications, reports and related material from machine dictation and handwritten copy (Not all of the above)
  • Open and distribute incoming regular and electronic mail and other material and co-ordinate the flow of information internally and with other departments and organizations
  • Schedule and confirm appointments and meetings of employer (Not my role, Secretary does that)
  • Order office supplies and maintain inventory (Our company has other department to take care of this)
  • Answer telephone and electronic enquiries and relay telephone calls and messages
  • Set up and maintain manual and computerized information filing systems
  • Determine and establish office procedures (We have HR to do it)
  • Greet visitors, ascertain nature of business and direct visitors to employer or appropriate person (Reception and secretary do it)
  • Record and prepare minutes of meetings (Secretary does it)
  • Arrange travel schedules and make reservations (Secretary job)
  • May compile data, statistics and other information to support research activities (Not really research but i did compile data, gather stats for manager)
  • May supervise and train office staff in procedures and in use of current software.
  • May organize conferences (Not conferences but many customer events etc)
Please take a look for me, there is a lot of duties in this NOC and it is not possible to do it all. Is it going to affect my chance to apply? Thanks

amancingh

Jan 11, 2018

I am working in a large corporate (Like Johnson&Johnson, Microsoft or KPMG) and there is more than 1 person to perform 1 person job. . I just afraid if I only get 6-7 matches and I won't be qualify to apply. Could you please take a look for me?

Blue mean i did that , red mean i didn't , I do have 1-2 more duties that isn't list on the NOC 1241 website becassue it is too specificed.

• Prepare, key in, edit and proofread correspondence, invoices, presentations, brochures, publications, reports and related material from machine dictation and handwritten copy (Not all of the above)
  • Open and distribute incoming regular and electronic mail and other material and co-ordinate the flow of information internally and with other departments and organizations
  • Schedule and confirm appointments and meetings of employer (Not my role, Secretary does that)
  • Order office supplies and maintain inventory (Our company has other department to take care of this)
  • Answer telephone and electronic enquiries and relay telephone calls and messages
  • Greet visitors, ascertain nature of business and direct visitors to employer or appropriate person (Reception and secretary do it)
  • May compile data, statistics and other information to support research activities (Not really research but i did compile data, gather stats for manager)
  • May supervise and train office staff in procedures and in use of current software.
Please take a look for me, there is a lot of duties in this NOC and it is not possible to do it all. Is it going to affect my chance to apply? Thanks
Anyone has answer to this? I too do the blue duties not the red ones

Ksavier

Star Member
Apr 30, 2018

I'm on the same boat. How did you go about your application? any news?