+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR approved but withheld for further proof.

Rosela

Sep 18, 2019
Hello,

My husband and my children are Canadian citiziens, i am not. We live abroad and applied for sponsorship 5 months ago. A few days ago i received confirmation that my PR residency has been approved (we applied for PR card as well together with the sponsorship) but that the officer will not release it until he is satisfied that my husband is indeed returning to Canada. He has asked for the following doc:
1. Plane tickets
2. Job resignation for my husband
3. Job offer and job search for my husband
4. A home leasing contract in Canada.

Anyone else had this experience?
Isnt it a bit weird that both my sponsorship and PR residency has been approved but the immigration officer is withholding them?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

My husband and my children are Canadian citiziens, i am not. We live abroad and applied for sponsorship 5 months ago. A few days ago i received confirmation that my PR residency has been approved (we applied for PR card as well together with the sponsorship) but that the officer will not release it until he is satisfied that my husband is indeed returning to Canada. He has asked for the following doc:
1. Plane tickets

Isnt it a bit weird that both my sponsorship and PR residency has been approved but the immigration officer is withholding them?
This is normal and expected. When the sponsor is outside of Canada there is a requirement to prove that you plan to relocate to Canada once the PR visa is approved.

You should respond as soon as you can and provide the evidence requested.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Sounds like great news to me. They are telling you that you are approved, so book up your tickets and set all the wheels in motion on you dream of moving back to Canada (like you said you would) and we will give you your papers.

Happy days surely?

Reactions: Rosela

Rosela

Sep 18, 2019
Thank you all for your feedback. We are very happy because i thought that the application would take 12 months so this came to us as a wonderful surprise.

I am afraid though that if we fulfill 3 criterias and dont fulfill the job offer criteria, what will happen then? Will the officer release my visa? Because then we would be left with no visa and my husband would be unemployed.
I think the job offer request i find a bit dificult to get since we are here and not in Canada. What are your thoughts on this?

james00794

May 24, 2019
Austria
I don't think the officer is specifically asking for ALL of those documents - they are just examples of things that would be accepted as proof of intent to return to Canada. If you submit flight receipts, your husband's resignation letter, and a general plan of how you are going to settle in Canada, I don't see any foreseeable problems.

Did you already get the request for your passport (PPR)? I ask because I am in the same situation with my wife where we live abroad but I have not been asked for further proof of intent to return and we got her passport request last Friday.

Congrats!!!

Rosela

Sep 18, 2019
Well he has sent us a letter asking specifically for those documents. The letter says that the application on my residency has been approved but that they shall not release the visa until the 4 mentioned criterias have been fulfilled. I have not received the request to send my passport.
Best of luck to you and your wife.

james00794

May 24, 2019
Austria
In that case, I would just send what you have and include an explanation of why you can't show an actual job offer yet, but that you've done research on potential opportunities, what is available based on your husband's qualifications, etc. The visa officers know that this kind of stuff can't always be done prior to landing - they just want to be sure your husband is actually going back and see that he is making efforts to re-establish himself there. I am sure someone else will chime in with some more actionable advice though.

Reactions: Rosela

Domikys

Star Member
Jun 29, 2019
Hello,

1. Plane tickets

While filling the form didnt you declare your intent and time frame to move to Canada after getting PR approved..How long have you been married...same maybe will be applicable to us...my self and kids are Canadians and am in the process of submitting my husband spouse sponsorship application been married for 10yrs and I have lived outside Canada even before I got married though I visit Canada from time to time we run a successful business here but the kids will be leaving next month October to begin school in Canada while we wait out the sponsorship application to be approved ...maybe they will ask us to prove same.

Rosela

Sep 18, 2019
Yes we wrote a cover letter with a very detailed plan. We have been married for 10 years!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
While filling the form didnt you declare your intent and time frame to move to Canada after getting PR approved..How long have you been married...same maybe will be applicable to us...my self and kids are Canadians and am in the process of submitting my husband spouse sponsorship application been married for 10yrs and I have lived outside Canada even before I got married though I visit Canada from time to time we run a successful business here but the kids will be leaving next month October to begin school in Canada while we wait out the sponsorship application to be approved ...maybe they will ask us to prove same.
Yes they will ask for proof that your husband will be relocating to Canada especially if you run a business. Does your husband actually plan on relocating? Why would you send your children in October? August or the first week of September would be logical if they are starting school.

Domikys

Star Member
Jun 29, 2019
Yes they will ask for proof that your husband will be relocating to Canada especially if you run a business. Does your husband actually plan on relocating? Why would you send your children in October? August or the first week of September would be logical if they are starting school.
Yes we have ran the bizness for 10yrs and is still counting he intends to visit every 3months till he eventually opens a functional branch in Toronto.
We could not get a ticket for the kids in September...what other proof will be more than relocating the kids?

Domikys

Star Member
Jun 29, 2019
Yes we wrote a cover letter with a very detailed plan. We have been married for 10 years!
Well I advise you respond to there concerns and that will do.....maybe they have changed the requirement process of outland application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes we have ran the bizness for 10yrs and is still counting he intends to visit every 3months till he eventually opens a functional branch in Toronto.
We could not get a ticket for the kids in September...what other proof will be more than relocating the kids?
The issue is that your husband is not actually relocating to Canada so this may pose a problem.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
The issue is that your husband is not actually relocating to Canada so this may pose a problem.
Agree. Visiting every 3 months isn't the same as relocating.
He should have started to do the visits and setting up his business few months before. So that he is ready to move when the application is approved.