+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR approved but never received COPR/PR

Apr 23, 2022
Hi all, my Canadian PR application approved in 2020 but never received COPR or PR card (counterfoil is valid until 2030). Currently, I live in US. I have Canadian visitor visa. Can I go to Canada on visitor visa and start the process of getting PR?

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hi all, my Canadian PR application approved in 2020 but never received COPR or PR card (counterfoil is valid until 2030). Currently, I live in US. I have Canadian visitor visa. Can I go to Canada on visitor visa and start the process of getting PR?
2020 ? Did you not send your passport for visa stamping and issuance of CoPR ?

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay
Apr 23, 2022
I did but that time I had already moved to USA. PP was sent back to me without issuance of COPR stating that "borders are currently closed due to COVID, we will let you know when they are open and send you the new PPR request". However, that email or update in myCIC account never happened.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
I did but that time I had already moved to USA. PP was sent back to me without issuance of COPR stating that "borders are currently closed due to COVID, we will let you know when they are open and send you the new PPR request". However, that email or update in myCIC account never happened.
1. Did you not try to contact IRCC in 2020, 2021, 2022 .....? 2020 seems to be too long.
2. Also, somewhere in Feb/Mar 2021 IRCC did send out email to those who could not travel to Canada in 2020 owing to Covid. The email subject read - "Do you still want to immigrate to Canada? Application# xxxxxx" - Did you miss this email from IRCC? This was the chance for receiving new PPR and CoPR.

perseus_r

Star Member
Oct 19, 2022
Category........
FSW
What counterfoil you have is valid until 2030? If no PR visa is issued on your passport, I assume that counterfoil is the visitor visa cuz I don't think IM-1 visa is good for 10 years. You might submit a webform to explain your situation and wait them to get back to you?

Apr 23, 2022
1. Did you not try to contact IRCC in 2020, 2021, 2022 .....? 2020 seems to be too long.
2. Also, somewhere in Feb/Mar 2021 IRCC did send out email to those who could not travel to Canada in 2020 owing to Covid. The email subject read - "Do you still want to immigrate to Canada? Application# xxxxxx" - Did you miss this email from IRCC? This was the chance for receiving new PPR and CoPR.
Last email I received from IRCC was in Nov 2020- stating "we are still working on your application".. and nothing afterwards. I emailed them in mid-2021 but did not receive any answer. Then I got busy at work.. I did not pursue it further. I restarted contacting IRCC last year because I wanted to visit Canada.. but couldnt since there was no visa stamp in my passport.

Now, I applied for visitor visa, got visa stamp. I am thinking to visit Canada on visitor visa and apply for PR card when I am in Canada. Can I do that?

Apr 23, 2022
What counterfoil you have is valid until 2030? If no PR visa is issued on your passport, I assume that counterfoil is the visitor visa cuz I don't think IM-1 visa is good for 10 years. You might submit a webform to explain your situation and wait them to get back to you?
First my application in myCIC got updated in mid 2020 - COPR document (the number which starts from T) valid until 2030. When I told IRCC, I was in USA and not in Canada, it changed to "COPR" "invalid", "counterfoil" "valid" until 2030.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Last email I received from IRCC was in Nov 2020- stating "we are still working on your application".. and nothing afterwards. I emailed them in mid-2021 but did not receive any answer. Then I got busy at work.. I did not pursue it further. I restarted contacting IRCC last year because I wanted to visit Canada.. but couldnt since there was no visa stamp in my passport.

Now, I applied for visitor visa, got visa stamp. I am thinking to visit Canada on visitor visa and apply for PR card when I am in Canada. Can I do that?
I dont think you can apply for PR card, unless you are a PR. Since you never landed in Canada, you are not a PR yet.

Also, this is confusing. You are saying, your myCIC account had CoPR details - how is this possible if you never received CoPR as per your subject.

Plus CoPR would never have 10 years validity. As pointed by other member, that must be your visit visa details.

One more point., never seen a case where visit visa is approved for PR approved application. Seems your PR was cancelled in Nov 2020 and you were granted visit visa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

No, you can't do that. You never landed and became a PR so you don't qualify for a PR card.

You need to get a valid COPR and land in Canada and officially become a PR.

Apr 23, 2022
No, you can't do that. You never landed and became a PR so you don't qualify for a PR card.

You need to get a valid COPR and land in Canada and officially become a PR.
In myCIC I have two applications approved -
1. PR application (starts from E): I dont have a valid COPR but my PR application via Express Entry in myCIC still shows - "Final Decision - you application was approved". The valid "counterfoil" in the same application has the same document number as invalid COPR which starts from "T"
2. Visitor visa application (Starts from V): "Final Decision - you application was approved".

I dont think you can apply for PR card, unless you are a PR. Since you never landed in Canada, you are not a PR yet.

Also, this is confusing. You are saying, your myCIC account had CoPR details - how is this possible if you never received CoPR as per your subject.

Plus CoPR would never have 10 years validity. As pointed by other member, that must be your visit visa details.

One more point., never seen a case where visit visa is approved for PR approved application. Seems your PR was cancelled in Nov 2020 and you were granted visit visa.

Apr 23, 2022
1. PR application (starts from E): I dont have a valid COPR but my PR application via Express Entry in myCIC still shows - "Final Decision - you application was approved". The valid "counterfoil" in the same application has the same document number as invalid COPR which starts from "T"
2. Visitor visa application (Starts from V): "Final Decision - you application was approved".
I agree that it is very confusing -
Right now - In myCIC I have two applications approved -
1. PR application (starts from E): I don't have a valid COPR but my PR application via Express Entry in myCIC still shows - "Final Decision - you application was approved". The "valid" "counterfoil" in this application has the same document number as "invalid" "COPR" which starts from "T"

Do you think I should contact IRCC when I land in Canada re how to proceed - e.g. if I need to restart the process of PR?

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Would it be possible to share screenshot for point #1 ?

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm still confused about the counterfoil. When did you get the counterfoil?

A COPR is valid for a max of 1 year. It would never have a validity to 2030.