+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Application is rejected for being incomplete (incompetence of IRCC)

nellerama

Apr 17, 2018
Hi all. This post is not for asking any help or advice, but rather to show how sloppy and superficially IRCC works.

Introduction:
I've got a BC PNP certificate and quickly received and invitation to apply. In my EE profile I stated that my wife and I both have Master's degrees with corresponding WES certificates. I used these certificates for BC PNP, so they are perfectly valid. But for some reason my profile for PR didn't have any placeholders for WES copies, so I didn't attach them.

Main Events:
In approximately 2 weeks I received a request letter with the next content:

"This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada. In order for us to continue the review of your application, we require the following documents for you and your spouse:
Education diplomas/degrees: Please provide a copy of your World Education Services (WES) Education Credential Assessment (ECA).
The above information/documents must be received within 7 days from the date of this correspondence. If this deadline is not met, your application will be assessed based on the information that was provided with your application and your application could be rejected for being incomplete."

I've attached both WES copies in my profile in 20 minutes after receiving the letter and submitted the form. I have a screenshots which prove that WES copies were successfully submitted to IRCC.

On the next day I received another letter:

"Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has reviewed your application for permanent residence. We have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of a complete application as described in sections 10 and 12.01 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. Your application is rejected for being incomplete.
Specifically, your application does not include the following elements: - Education Credentials:
A completed Education Credential Assessment (ECA) issued for immigration purposes was not included with your electronic application. This document is required based on the education details you provided in your Express Entry profile. Please consult our website in order to determine the required document."

Right after that I've filled out a web form with case-specific inquiry with detailed explanation of my situation and attached corresponding screenshots and both WES copies. The answer was really puzzling. It seems like they didn't read my letter at all:

"Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If you completed your education outside Canada, you need an educational credential assessment (ECA) for immigration purposes. To earn points, your ECA report must show that your completed foreign credential (degree, diploma or certificate) is equal to a completed Canadian secondary school (high school) or post-secondary credential.

For more information on how to obtain an ECA for immigration purposes please visit this website and follow the instructions for Evaluations for Immigration (ECA).

For further information regarding your enquiry, please consult the correspondences sent to you on February 20, 2020, via your online account.
If you are still experiencing difficulties, we invite you to fill out the IRCC Web form and include:

- Screen shots of your account showing the complete Application status page including the Messages section.
"

Of course, I did exactly what they asked - repeated my inquiry and attached those additional screenshots too. After that I received more adequate response:
"We verified the information you provided regarding your cancelled permanent resident application and have forwarded them to the responsible office. If you do not receive more information or a decision by March 25, 2020, we invite you to contact us again by using the IRCC Web form.
"

And I waited till March, 30. No answer. I've repeated my request with additional explanation about my previous inquiry and response to it. Today I received an answer that looks like a 1st April joke:

"Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information on file and we are sorry to inform you that your application has been cancelled on February 20, 2020.

When you submit an application to IRCC, verifications are made to ensure that the application is complete and ready for review, which means that you have:

• Answered all the questions on the form, and
  • Submitted all the necessary documents.
Furthermore, a message was sent to your online account with more details about the decision on February 20, 2020. In order to view your messages, we invite you to:

• On the home page, under the View the applications you submitted section, click on the Check full application statusbutton of the application you want to consult,
    • your messages will be available under the Messages section,
    • in order to read a message, please click on the link of the message you wish to consult.
If you have new information (or additional documents) that was not included with your original application and that could support your eligibility, we invite you to submit a new profile if you wish to return to the pool of candidates.

If needed, please consult our website for more details on the Express Entry requirements.

Furthermore, we verified the information on file and can confirm that your ECA document not received by the responsible office.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry."

No, IRCC, I'm sorry but the information you provided isn't helpful.

Conclusion:
A lot of time and work were spent for nothing. I'm really disappointed because of this situation. And all that because of an enormous amount of mistakes from IRCC and absence of desire to fix that mistakes. Here is a short list of them:
1. If it is required to attach WES copies to my application, there should be placeholders for them in the profile as for all other documents, but there are no such placeholders.
2. I've attached requested WES copies in 20 minutes time after I receive the request letter. But that actions were ignored for some reason and my application was cancelled in approximately 12 hours after that, despite of the fact that I had 7 days to provide WES copies according to the request letter.
3. It seems like 2 of 3 inquiries sent through web form in order to fix this situation wasn't read at all.

Also, I've done some investigation on this forum and found out that I'm not the only who had similar problems with IRCC incompetence. Even if you do everything they want you to do and have all the required documents, your profile can be easily cancelled just because of stupid mistakes of IRCC. And if your profile is cancelled because of their mistakes, there is no guarantee at all that they will fix it.
This is quite a sad situation.
I think because the webforms are delayed by a month or so, they may not have gotten your document in time. There's a chance they will still reconsider. My reconsideration has not had a decision made yet, and it's been a month and two weeks since I requested it.

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Hi there,
I had my application rejected because i did not have an eca for my education . I did not claim any points on eca . My diploma is a trade one and on the question did you obtain this qualification in Canadia i marked NO, and the next question was do you have have an ECA issued from a qualified supplier and i marked NO.

So I raised a webform and waiting for reply if they can reopen my application.
Some of my friends applied on the same trade diploma and did not have this issue.

Need an advice if my application would reopen again?
any education put in 'education' section needs to have an ECA unless its canadian education, even if you dont claim points for it. you should have put it in 'personal history' section.

Ade3032

Dec 22, 2018
any education put in 'education' section needs to have an ECA unless its canadian education, even if you dont claim points for it. you should have put it in 'personal history' section.
What if its dependant (spouse) education and not the principal applicant you put in education section and does not have ECA and you already selected NO for the question 'do you have ECA'

maricelpba

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
My application was reopened on wednesday.
Hello, @nellerama !.. Can you please tell me how many days it took after your file was reopened to get the final decision on your reconsideration request? Also, did you receive an acknowledgment letter before the file was reopened? Thank you in advance for your response. I’m anxiously waiting for the result of my reconsideration request on a refused Spouse Open Work Permit.

nellerama

Apr 17, 2018
Hello, @nellerama !.. Can you please tell me how many days it took after your file was reopened to get the final decision on your reconsideration request? Also, did you receive an acknowledgment letter before the file was reopened? Thank you in advance for your response. I’m anxiously waiting for the result of my reconsideration request on a refused Spouse Open Work Permit.

Hi it took two months from when it got cancelled to when it got reopened. Cancelled Feb 17 and reopened on April 12. One month for them to acknowledge that they received my webform request to reconsiderbthe cancellation, and another month for them to actually reopen it.

I didn't get a letter telling me they would reopen it. I got an email saying my application status had changed. Followed by a letter requesting I repay my fees.

Reactions: maricelpba

maricelpba

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
Hi it took two months from when it got cancelled to when it got reopened. Cancelled Feb 17 and reopened on April 12. One month for them to acknowledge that they received my webform request to reconsiderbthe cancellation, and another month for them to actually reopen it.

I didn't get a letter telling me they would reopen it. I got an email saying my application status had changed. Followed by a letter requesting I repay my fees.
I appreciate all the information. Is your application approved already? If so, did the approval come right after you paid the fee/s?

Last edited:

nellerama

Apr 17, 2018
I appreciate all the information. Is your application approved already? If so, did the approval came right after you paid the fee/s?
Happy to help.

No it has not been approved yet. I had to get a police certificate from Hong Kong which adds about two months to the process. Also, I applied as a FSW and I believe they're only approving CEC applications at this time, due to border restrictions.

maricelpba

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
Happy to help.

No it has not been approved yet. I had to get a police certificate from Hong Kong which adds about two months to the process. Also, I applied as a FSW and I believe they're only approving CEC applications at this time, due to border restrictions.
I see. I wish all the best on your application and your Canadian dream.

farshad171

Jan 5, 2016
Hi, what happened finally? After 8 years living in Canada, doing a PhD and waiting for the nonsense EE to resume, I was finally able to submit my PR application on July 11. However, on Sep 8, the whoever that heatless robot officer was working on my application, canceled my application stating it was incomplete. The reason was my police certificate from Iran. I had a police certificate that I got my study permit with, but I guess they want a new one and getting that is incredibly difficult because Iran has no embassy in Canada. The officer did not even give me a chance to start the process for getting a new police certificate. Straight cancelation! If we did not have to deal with nonsense EE draws, the expiry of docs and now not having my BC PNP points linked to the new EE profile, I would have just made a new profile but now I have to wait until BC PNP link that to the new profile and god knows when all this would happen so I can be selected in the draws! I can’t believe!!

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi, what happened finally? After 8 years living in Canada, doing a PhD and waiting for the nonsense EE to resume, I was finally able to submit my PR application on July 11. However, on Sep 8, the whoever that heatless robot officer was working on my application, canceled my application stating it was incomplete. The reason was my police certificate from Iran. I had a police certificate that I got my study permit with, but I guess they want a new one and getting that is incredibly difficult because Iran has no embassy in Canada. The officer did not even give me a chance to start the process for getting a new police certificate. Straight cancelation! If we did not have to deal with nonsense EE draws, the expiry of docs and now not having my BC PNP points linked to the new EE profile, I would have just made a new profile but now I have to wait until BC PNP link that to the new profile and god knows when all this would happen so I can be selected in the draws! I can’t believe!!
Even though no embassy is there, there should be a way to get police certificate as these days everything is online. Moreover as you mentioned you got it while getting study permit so its obvious it would be 8 years old, you would have got a new one while submitting your application.

Sydneyaccountant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2020
have you lived in Iran for more than 6 months in last 8 years?

D

Deleted member 1083629

Even though no embassy is there, there should be a way to get police certificate as these days everything is online. Moreover as you mentioned you got it while getting study permit so its obvious it would be 8 years old, you would have got a new one while submitting your application.
A lot of assumptions and incorrect information in your reply. Getting PCC online might be impossible in Iran. I know it’s impossible to do in Russia, Azerbaijan, Turkey. You have to physically apply: either at the embassy, or at the local branch of Ministry of internal affairs or police station.
His PCC being 8 years old doesn’t make it invalid. It’s clearly stated on the website. The question is whether he has been back to Iran since applying for a student permit. He would still need a new PCC because he needs to have all his days covered but the age of the PCC has nothing to do with it.