+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR application fee refunded if sponsor application is refused?

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The subject says it all :) Do you get the $475 or whatever it is refunded if your sponsor application fails?
Kind of curious since I'm going for the common-law partner sponsorship and I don't know for sure how much proof I need that our relationship is genuine..

Sorry if this has been asked before but I wasn't able to find anything using the search function.

EDIT:
Just figured it out, check question 1 on form IMM1344 (Application to sponsor, sponsorship agreement and undertaking)
Why would you choose to proceed with the PR application if your sponsorship application has been refused? The notes in the guide don't make me understand this either..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

greenish said:
The subject says it all :) Do you get the $475 or whatever it is refunded if your sponsor application fails?
Kind of curious since I'm going for the common-law partner sponsorship and I don't know for sure how much proof I need that our relationship is genuine..

Sorry if this has been asked before but I wasn't able to find anything using the search function.

EDIT:
Just figured it out, check question 1 on form IMM1344 (Application to sponsor, sponsorship agreement and undertaking)
Why would you choose to proceed with the PR application if your sponsorship application has been refused? The notes in the guide don't make me understand this either..
It gives you appeal rights if the application/sponsorship is refused.

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If my sponsorship application doesn't go through, how probable is it that her PR application will be approved?
Is it possible to appeal the sponsorship application? If so, do we do that before they proceed with the PR app how does that work?
Do you have a link to official information about appealing decisions? I seem not to be able to find anything :(

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

greenish said:
If my sponsorship application doesn't go through, how probable is it that her PR application will be approved?
Is it possible to appeal the sponsorship application? If so, do we do that before they proceed with the PR app how does that work?
Do you have a link to official information about appealing decisions? I seem not to be able to find anything :(
1. If you are not eligible as a sponsor, then it is the visa office processing the application that refuses the application, not Mississauga. http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/eng/tribunal/iadsai/Pages/index.aspx

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think I'm confused about how the sponsor application and the PR application are connected.
In my understanding, Mississauga will process my sponsor application first. Basically, once they are done with that, the visa processing office (in my case Seoul) will process the PR application.
How does the outcome of the sponsor application affect the PR application?
If it's approved, I'm guessing that will substantially increase the chances that the PR application will be successful, right?
If the sponsor app is not approved, depending on what box I checked, the visa processing office will start processing the PR app or not. So if I checked the box to withdraw the application, that's the end of it. But if I checked that the PR application shall proceed, what are the chances for it to be approved? And if it gets refused, what are the chances to appeal successfully?
A little light on this subject would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You have to be approved as a sponsor (Mississauga processing) in order for the entire application to be approved. In other words, if you are NOT approved as a sponsor - then even if the application is given the OK by the visa processing office, PR will still be denied. You would then have to appeal to overturn the refusal of the sponsor.

You asked:

"If the sponsor app is not approved, depending on what box I checked, the visa processing office will start processing the PR app or not. So if I checked the box to withdraw the application, that's the end of it. But if I checked that the PR application shall proceed, what are the chances for it to be approved?"

Answer: The chances are zero that the application will be approved and 100% that it will be refused.

You asked:

"And if it gets refused, what are the chances to appeal successfully?"

Answer: Impossible to say since this will depend on how effectively you can address and resolve the reasons why the sponsor was refused in the first place.

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a bunch scylla, I think i'm starting to get it hehe
I'd give you some positive rating if I knew how xD

On the same note, supposing sponsorship is denied, is it way quicker to proceed with the PR application (and appealing afterwards) than withdrawing the application and reapplying once the reasons for sponsorship denial have been resolved? If not, why (or under what circumstances) would it be a good idea to proceed with the application after sponsorship has been denied?

And one more question: After sponsorship has been approved, for what reasons can the PR application not be approved? Aren't all the major issues already covered once the sponsorship application has gone through (i.e. finances, genuinity of relationship, etc.)?

Thanks to PMM too btw, very helpful link :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
greenish said:
Thanks a bunch scylla, I think i'm starting to get it hehe
I'd give you some positive rating if I knew how xD

On the same note, supposing sponsorship is denied, is it way quicker to proceed with the PR application (and appealing afterwards) than withdrawing the application and reapplying once the reasons for sponsorship denial have been resolved? If not, why (or under what circumstances) would it be a good idea to proceed with the application after sponsorship has been denied?

And one more question: After sponsorship has been approved, for what reasons can the PR application not be approved? Aren't all the major issues already covered once the sponsorship application has gone through (i.e. finances, genuinity of relationship, etc.)?

Thanks to PMM too btw, very helpful link :)
I don't have any experience with the appeals process and can't comment on time lines.

To answer your other question, assuming you apply outland, the sponsorship phase (Mississauga processing) only verifies that the sponsor is qualfied to sponsor someone. It does not evaluate the legitimacy of the relationship. This is done by the processing visa office in phase 2.