+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR application during Joblessness

SURVIVAL

Star Member
Apr 9, 2017
Hi,

I have received the decision/status of Protected Person and currently I am Jobless. Does it prevent me from submitting my PR application with family members included?

Please guide...

Medoxtar

Star Member
Aug 20, 2018
How about someone who hasn’t go for his/her hearing. Will the person be able to get a open work permit till decision time?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How about someone who hasn’t go for his/her hearing. Will the person be able to get a open work permit till decision time?
Getting a work permit is dependent on your need for funds. If you require welfare you will be given a work permit while you wait for your hearing so hopefully you can get off welfare. I takes around 3-4 months I believe to get a work permit at the moment if you both qualify to apply for asylum and you meet the requirement for not having any savings.

Medoxtar

Star Member
Aug 20, 2018

Medoxtar

Star Member
Aug 20, 2018
Getting a work permit is dependent on your need for funds. If you require welfare you will be given a work permit while you wait for your hearing so hopefully you can get off welfare. I takes around 3-4 months I believe to get a work permit at the moment if you both qualify to apply for asylum and you meet the requirement for not having any savings.
Thanks. But, I’m sure you can’t live for that long with their welfare. We need to get apartment of our own and do some many. It’s more better to work and make some more than the welfare given to us by the government. Before the hearing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks. But, I’m sure you can’t live for that long with their welfare. We need to get apartment of our own and do some many. It’s more better to work and make some more than the welfare given to us by the government. Before the hearing.
No living on welfare is definitely challenging especially in bigger cities but some are not able to join the job market after claiming asylum.

Reactions: SURVIVAL

Medoxtar

Star Member
Aug 20, 2018
No living on welfare is definitely challenging especially in bigger cities but some are not able to join the job market after claiming asylum.
I thought if you claim asylum at the POE. After everything other certifications you’ll be granted a open work permit so one will be able to live on his or her own. If not it’s going to be worrisome.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I thought if you claim asylum at the POE. After everything other certifications you’ll be granted a open work permit so one will be able to live on his or her own. If not it’s going to be worrisome.
You're not granted a work permit at the POE. Some asylum seeker have to live in homeless shelters until they are able to sort things out.

Medoxtar

Star Member
Aug 20, 2018
You're not granted a work permit at the POE. Some asylum seeker have to live in homeless shelters until they are able to sort things out.
Sort things out. Pls kindly tell me the kind of things they need to sort out before they’ll be able to start working so make their living worthwhile

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sort things out. Pls kindly tell me the kind of things they need to sort out before they’ll be able to start working so make their living worthwhile
Very confused. Asylum is about safety not about making the best living. You will need to pass the 1st stage hearing where you are either considered eligible to apply for asylum or not, you have to figure out your lawyer from legal aid if you qualify or private if you don't, apply for welfare if you qualify, apply for a work permit if you qualify, find an apartment if you have your own money or stay in a homeless shelter if you have to wait until you get your welfare and work permit. Due to the volume of applicants things take time and processes change. There are some new homeless shelters for refugees starting soon to distribute applicants to smaller cities. No real details have been announced. Do you have a TRV to enter Canada? That is a big obstacle if you don't have one.