+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR application and university / student visa

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't know whether to ask here or in the foreign student section, but I think this is more about PR application (spousal with kids). Note that I may be thinking of this far too early but don't know.

The short form of my question is: how to handle visa requirements for a student with pending PR file?

Background: applied in October and PR application in process (sponsor approval, bio and meds done). The only question really is how long the approval might take (i.e. I'm fully confident no issues with eligibility or genuineness of our relationship). I'm Cdn cit, spouse obviously not. Kids are not (and cannot get through me as I was born abroad).

In parallel my stepson is finishing high school and applying to universities. I'm confident he'll get into an acceptable program (good grades and English testing etc), with admission for fall 2020. (Separate note that this is not a money issue, or at least we can handle that if it comes to it, I mean the difference between international and resident tuition).

Obviously if we get PR approved early I don't anticipate issues - once PR approved and documents in hand, land and get some paperwork done, and he's off. I suppose in worst case scenario we could delay his entry to university by a semester, but would prefer not to.

But what to do if the application process starts dragging out? He has a tourist visa now, long validity. The complication I see is that to get the study permission, part of the decision process is whether the IRCC officers are confident the student will leave. We honestly couldn't and wouldn't attest to that at this point with PR application in process.

Thoughts welcome. I know definitive answers probably impossible, but perhaps someone else has been in this situation before. (And I apologise if this seems dumb or I've missed something obvious - I don't know the student process well and our timetables have shifted over time, too, had been assuming we would not be at this in-between stage at this point).

andrew3081

Apr 6, 2018
The boy in question is not biologically mine, nor legally. Other child is mine but younger. I have always been cdn citizen.
the younger kid is Canadian citizen?
If you obtained your Canadian citizenship by immigrating to Canada or you were born in Canada, your younger kid is considered a Canadian citizen even if born outside Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
the younger kid is Canadian citizen?
If you obtained your Canadian citizenship by immigrating to Canada or you were born in Canada, your younger kid is considered a Canadian citizen even if born outside Canada.
As I noted above, none can get cdn citizenship through me as I was born abroad (even though my parents were only abroad one year). This would not change if I adopted the stepson either.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As I noted above, none can get cdn citizenship through me as I was born abroad (even though my parents were only abroad one year). This would not change if I adopted the stepson either.
I suppose to be precise should make it clear is I am a cdn-citizen-born-abroad, not immigrant.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The only slight issue is that entrance requirements are different for international and domestic students. Domestic students tend to need higher marks. Would really encourage you to save the money and apply for domestic and defer if your stepson hasn’t received his PR yet. When did you apply for sponsorship? Some countries take longer than others but if your spouse is from the US or Europe processing is usually faster.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The only slight issue is that entrance requirements are different for international and domestic students. Domestic students tend to need higher marks. Would really encourage you to save the money and apply for domestic and defer if your stepson hasn’t received his PR yet. When did you apply for sponsorship? Some countries take longer than others but if your spouse is from the US or Europe processing is usually faster.
To date, the application process has mostly differed on basis of the school system, not international vs domestic status. But I'll keep that in mind.

For what reason do you suggest deferring? Primarily money?

We applied in early October. I suspect we are in for a longer rather than shorter haul (one of those countries where security clearances are longer). We had intended to apply a few months before that but there were some paperwork complications.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To date, the application process has mostly differed on basis of the school system, not international vs domestic status. But I'll keep that in mind.

For what reason do you suggest deferring? Primarily money?

We applied in early October. I suspect we are in for a longer rather than shorter haul (one of those countries where security clearances are longer). We had intended to apply a few months before that but there were some paperwork complications.
Up to you but I would make my child wait for a semester or two if I could potentially save as much as a +10k. Actually a fan of GAP year. Nothing wrong with a child working for a while or travelling to motivate them to study, mature a bit and give them a bit of a chance to figure out what they are good at and should study.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Up to you but I would make my child wait for a semester or two if I could potentially save as much as a +10k. Actually a fan of GAP year. Nothing wrong with a child working for a while or travelling to motivate them to study, mature a bit and give them a bit of a chance to figure out what they are good at and should study.
Thanks, I'm aware of the advantages (monetary and other) - did a gap year myself.

But to put it simply, our circumstances are different - and if we decide to defer for a semester or a year, there are no immigration related issues of importance, we'd just defer and wait and figure it out after landing. Or he could do some university-level work elsewhere if that's what is best for him.

My question is conditioned upon: should we decide that what is best is to start right away, how best to approach the PR/tourist visa/student visa issue.

So to restate: if we're waiting on a PR and there is a valid visitor's visa, is it crazy or problematic to apply for student status (or possibly not necessary at all)? I'm perhaps mistaken in assuming that acquiring the student status will not be difficult, but don't know.

Note that apart from this son, we may visit Canada to see my family and I'm not overly concerned about convincing CBSA agents that this would only be a visit (we have strong ties to current country of residence and other children, so when we do move, it will basically be all at once). If/when he arrives at border to attend university before receiving PR, well, he could return and would have a return ticket etc, but that would be low priority. If he left after coming as a student would mainly be to do landing.