+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR application and errors on past documents

toussaint

Jul 17, 2014
Hello,

I am a US citizen currently living with my common law partner in Vancouver, BC. I first entered Canada in January on an open work permit acquired at the border which is set to expire in a few weeks, but I also have a study permit which is valid until February of 2016. We will be submitting the application for sponsorship and permanent residence as soon as I have acquire my FBI certificate and medical exam, which should be in February (if FBI processing times are accurate)

In gathering all of my documentation, however, I have noticed a minor error on both my work and study permits- my middle name is missing a letter (which does not change the pronunciation of the name... however, it does have an unusual spelling, and thus the middle name on these documents does NOT match my passport/birth certificate). I need a advice on how to proceed.

Here are the scenarios I've thought of:
1) I fill out form 1436 and request new documents with the proper spelling. Ideally, I get the documents back before the FBI certificate, and have the amended documents in hand when we send in the PR application.

2) I fill out the form, send in the documentation, and do not receive the amended documents by the time I file for PR. In that case, must I wait? Or, can I proceed, and send in a copy of the permits with the incorrect spellings, along with a photocopy of the completed 1436 form, along with a letter explaining the situation and noting that it's pending?

3) I do neither of these, and hold on to the permits, and write a letter with the PR application explaining the situation?

An underlying concern is that we frequently go to Seattle. Since I have to send in original copies of my immigration documents along with the form 1436, is it advised not to leave Canada at all? Or can I leave, provided I bring the most recent photocopies of the documents and a copy of the completed form 1436, along with postage receipts that show that it is pending?

Would any of this be grounds for CIC denying a PR application? These permits were issued at the border, so the (minor) mistake was made by CBSA officers. What is the best way to proceed?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
CIC is not going to deny a pr application because your middle name happens to be mispelled on your work permit. if you want to get it fixed, then do. i don't see how it's even necessary to bring it up. let cic decide if it's important. more likely than not, they aren't going to even notice, because they are processing your PR application, not scrutinizing your work/study permits you already have been approved for. i highly doubt the immigration officer is going to look so closely at already approved documents and say "oooo... her middle name is spelled differently here, she must be trying to pull one over on us." Did YOU mispell your name and misrepresent yourself in your previous applications? probably not. you can't be accused of misrepresentation based on a clerical error on a document you did not even create. for all you know, it's spelled like that so they can fit your entire name on the document. they do it with other information as well, so stop assuming something is "wrong" or "bad" when it's probably not that big of a deal.