+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR application and Canadian citizen spouse

OksanaYYC

Jan 22, 2024
Hello!

I'm in the process of applying for permanent residency under Provincial Nominee Program from Alberta. I got my Nomination certificate and preparing document for PR application. Besides I’m dating a Canadian citizen, we’ve been living together for over 1 year what makes us common-law partners. Therefore I have a few questions regarding this matter:
Does he need to fill out any form in my application (eg. IMM5406)?

Do I need to provide proofs of living together, like signed lease, or Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union even though I’m applying as Provincial Nominee?

The way I read at first Document checklist and separate forms (eg. IMM5669) in the list I need to put his info whether he’s accompanying or not (some documents state that). This got me confused. And now the more I read the more questions I have whether he actually needs to fill out any of these forms since he’s a Canadian citizen, he doesn’t need it at all. I start thinking that I just put his basic information in forms IMM0008, IMM5406 to let the government know who is my common-law spouse and that will be it.

Please advise if I understand it right. Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello!

I'm in the process of applying for permanent residency under Provincial Nominee Program from Alberta. I got my Nomination certificate and preparing document for PR application. Besides I’m dating a Canadian citizen, we’ve been living together for over 1 year what makes us common-law partners. Therefore I have a few questions regarding this matter:
Does he need to fill out any form in my application (eg. IMM5406)?

Do I need to provide proofs of living together, like signed lease, or Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union even though I’m applying as Provincial Nominee?

The way I read at first Document checklist and separate forms (eg. IMM5669) in the list I need to put his info whether he’s accompanying or not (some documents state that). This got me confused. And now the more I read the more questions I have whether he actually needs to fill out any of these forms since he’s a Canadian citizen, he doesn’t need it at all. I start thinking that I just put his basic information in forms IMM0008, IMM5406 to let the government know who is my common-law spouse and that will be it.

Please advise if I understand it right. Thank you!
Your spouse needs to be on your family information / personal background forms (imm5669 I think) and most others where it shows up. Disclose as common law.

On IMM0008: this is for APPLICANTS to become PRs, and your citizen-spouse should not go here - citizens are not eligible to apply to become PRs. (there is some confusion about how this works with online forms - I can't help with that).

I'd suggest including a letter of explanation that your common-law spouse is a citizen and therefore NOT included in the application, but shown on all information forms.

Reactions: OksanaYYC

OksanaYYC

Jan 22, 2024
Your spouse needs to be on your family information / personal background forms (imm5669 I think) and most others where it shows up. Disclose as common law.

On IMM0008: this is for APPLICANTS to become PRs, and your citizen-spouse should not go here - citizens are not eligible to apply to become PRs. (there is some confusion about how this works with online forms - I can't help with that).

I'd suggest including a letter of explanation that your common-law spouse is a citizen and therefore NOT included in the application, but shown on all information forms.
Thank you for clarification!
Would they request a proof of living together in this case? I'm hesitant if I actually need to prepare a copy of lease or Statutory Declaration.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Would they request a proof of living together in this case? I'm hesitant if I actually need to prepare a copy of lease or Statutory Declaration.
If you're applying on your own (not spousal), then I see no reason why they should require or even request. But follow the instructions and see. (Let us know if it seems to ask for it but if they do, I'd be inclined to say irrelevant anyway)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can also include proof that you have changed your status to common law with CRA