+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR and Visitor Visa Extension

AB40645

Apr 11, 2018
Hello all,
My boyfriend and I are going for a common law sponsorship for PR, and already were accepted for our 1st renewal of my visitors visa. We both know we have to be living together for at least a year before we can even apply for PR. Our issue is we can apply the exact day that my visitor visas extension is over. Do we have to reapply for another extension or can we wait and just straight apply for a PR? We're thinking the former, but wanted someone else's opinion on the matter as we're unable to find any real information on it, and making sure we're doing everything by the book so we don't run into any problems.
Also I dont know if it matters but Im a United States citizen.
Thanks to anyone who is willing to give us some advice!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,
My boyfriend and I are going for a common law sponsorship for PR, and already were accepted for our 1st renewal of my visitors visa. We both know we have to be living together for at least a year before we can even apply for PR. Our issue is we can apply the exact day that my visitor visas extension is over. Do we have to reapply for another extension or can we wait and just straight apply for a PR? We're thinking the former, but wanted someone else's opinion on the matter as we're unable to find any real information on it, and making sure we're doing everything by the book so we don't run into any problems.
Also I dont know if it matters but Im a United States citizen.
Thanks to anyone who is willing to give us some advice!
Hi

I suggest you give yourself at least a few weeks of buffer time before applying. Even if you are applying inland with an OWP, you should definitely be applying for a visitor extension to cover yourself. Do you have concrete common-law proofs from day 1?

AB40645

Apr 11, 2018
We won't be common law until Sept, but I do have proof that we've been living together(Christmas cards addressed to both of us, and my luggage got lost and I believe I still have the official receipt of them bringing it to the house address,and my visa extension approval letter came to our house, and I stated in an explanation letter for the visa extension that I have been staying with him and planning to continue staying with him), what else could we use for concrete proof?
We we're going to apply for a visitor visa extension one month before it expires(like the previous one)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We won't be common law until Sept, but I do have proof that we've been living together(Christmas cards addressed to both of us, and my luggage got lost and I believe I still have the official receipt of them bringing it to the house address,and my visa extension approval letter came to our house, and I stated in an explanation letter for the visa extension that I have been staying with him and planning to continue staying with him), what else could we use for concrete proof?
We we're going to apply for a visitor visa extension one month before it expires(like the previous one)
The Christmas cards and luggage receipt don't really show anything. The extension doesn't show you started living together in Sept 2017, so also not a common-law proof. You need things like a rental agreement/lease, mail in both and/or individual names covering a full one year, utility bills, cell bills, tax documents, payslips, IDs with the same address etc.

AB40645

Apr 11, 2018
We do have a joint bank account and a rent agreement between us and his parents(renting their downstairs condo its just a signed document between the 4 of us) could we use that?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We do have a joint bank account and a rent agreement between us and his parents(renting their downstairs condo its just a signed document between the 4 of us) could we use that?
When do the bank statements start? What else?

Understand that common-law is an actual legal status. It's not like you can just say you are common-law and show a rental agreement. Applying as common-law without proper proofs is like applying as married without the marriage certificate.

AB40645

Apr 11, 2018
In February so now we're thinking we'll reapply for the visa extension and hold off till we have more concrete proof of me actually living here...

And I know, I'm sorry this is all just really new for us I really appreciate all your help

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
In February so now we're thinking we'll reapply for the visa extension and hold off till we have more concrete proof of me actually living here...

And I know, I'm sorry this is all just really new for us I really appreciate all your help
No need to apologize. I just want to make sure you understand what you guys need to have so you can submit a successful app. Even if the visa officer can clearly see that you have a totally genuine relationship, if you don't have that proof of common-law, they still have to refuse you.

Here are a bunch of threads about common-law proofs. Maybe you will already have some of it.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/common-law-proof.530924/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/proof-of-relationship-for-common-law-lack-of-evidence.528042/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/common-law-sponsorship-proof-of-living-together-help-appreciated.553361/

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/common-law-pr-checklist.517717/

AB40645

Apr 11, 2018
We've discussed it since youve given us all this information and I beleive we're going to wait and just apply for our visa extension and just start getting as much together as we possibly can, on my initial arrival we didn't know I was staying and didnt start like we should have.Would much rather be comfortable sending in all the proper documents as we can than hesitant and it be all wrong and denied. Thank you so much for all the help and info, Ive got all those links bookmarked to keep on hand!