+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law sponsorship Proof of living together, help appreciated!

risteigs

Mar 21, 2018
Hi! I was hoping to get any advice/feedback on our in land common-law app proof of living together:) Some background to our situation, trying to keep a long story short...

We became common-law March 1st 2018. We've been dating for 2 years now, met when we were both living in Ontario, He moved to BC and eventually I ended up following him there in March 2017 which is the date we moved in together. We've lived together continuously in 2 addresses: March17-September17 we lived in a house with our landlord living upstairs ( we had no utility bills since rent was all inclusive, so pretty much only thing I have from that address is a lease with both our names on it) September we moved in to an apartment where we pay all our utilities so I have a ton of bills with both our names on it from September onward.

A L S O ... I was not aware of this application process, or that common law sponsorship exists until about November 2017.. So I haven't really been collecting proof accordingly... This is what we do have, I would really appreciate any feedback and advice if there's anything I can do to make the proof stronger. Thank you so much in advance:)
  • 2 leases with our names on them, first one starting march 2017, second one starting september 2017
  • joint electricity bill, internet bill, individual bills with the same address BUT we only have these starting September since the first house we lived in March-September was all inclusive and we didn't have any bills, is that gonna be a big problem?:oops: also should I add a written explanation?
  • pictures of us all through our relationship, we've been together for 2 years but only lived together a year
  • 4 pages of text messages between us from the time prior to us living together, i know it's not necessary but i wanted to add them just to support our relationship before living together
  • screenshots of facebook relationship status, and instagram posts of both of us
  • notarized statutory declaration of common law
  • a signed letter from my mother vouching for our relationship (includes dates when she first met him ,heard about him etc)
  • I have a ton of receipts with split payment on groceries, furniture, and other household items, I only started collecting around November 2017 though due to reasons I mentioned earlier....
  • A few cards my mom included in packages she sent to us
Thank you so much for any feedback!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi! I was hoping to get any advice/feedback on our in land common-law app proof of living together:) Some background to our situation, trying to keep a long story short...

We became common-law March 1st 2018. We've been dating for 2 years now, met when we were both living in Ontario, He moved to BC and eventually I ended up following him there in March 2017 which is the date we moved in together. We've lived together continuously in 2 addresses: March17-September17 we lived in a house with our landlord living upstairs ( we had no utility bills since rent was all inclusive, so pretty much only thing I have from that address is a lease with both our names on it) September we moved in to an apartment where we pay all our utilities so I have a ton of bills with both our names on it from September onward.

A L S O ... I was not aware of this application process, or that common law sponsorship exists until about November 2017.. So I haven't really been collecting proof accordingly... This is what we do have, I would really appreciate any feedback and advice if there's anything I can do to make the proof stronger. Thank you so much in advance:)
  • 2 leases with our names on them, first one starting march 2017, second one starting september 2017
  • joint electricity bill, internet bill, individual bills with the same address BUT we only have these starting September since the first house we lived in March-September was all inclusive and we didn't have any bills, is that gonna be a big problem?:oops: also should I add a written explanation?
  • pictures of us all through our relationship, we've been together for 2 years but only lived together a year
  • 4 pages of text messages between us from the time prior to us living together, i know it's not necessary but i wanted to add them just to support our relationship before living together
  • screenshots of facebook relationship status, and instagram posts of both of us
  • notarized statutory declaration of common law
  • a signed letter from my mother vouching for our relationship (includes dates when she first met him ,heard about him etc)
  • I have a ton of receipts with split payment on groceries, furniture, and other household items, I only started collecting around November 2017 though due to reasons I mentioned earlier....
  • A few cards my mom included in packages she sent to us
Thank you so much for any feedback!
Hi

The lack of common-law proofs from March to November is a big problem. You don't have any mail from that address in either both or individual names? No bank/credit card statements? Payslips? Tax documents?

risteigs

Mar 21, 2018
Hi

The lack of common-law proofs from March to November is a big problem. You don't have any mail from that address in either both or individual names? No bank/credit card statements? Payslips? Tax documents?
Thank you so much for the response!
unfortunately not... both my partner and I get e-statements from our banks and none of them show the address, and I changed my phone plan provider in December (which I had e-bills for as well) and don't have access to my old bills from that time. My partner has phone bills with that address from that time, but that wouldn't really help if I have nothing with my name on it right?
Would it be any help if I asked my former landlord to write a statement confirming we lived there? I do have the lease with both our names on it but would that be extra help?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much for the response!
unfortunately not... both my partner and I get e-statements from our banks and none of them show the address, and I changed my phone plan provider in December (which I had e-bills for as well) and don't have access to my old bills from that time. My partner has phone bills with that address from that time, but that wouldn't really help if I have nothing with my name on it right?
Would it be any help if I asked my former landlord to write a statement confirming we lived there? I do have the lease with both our names on it but would that be extra help?
Yes, his bills would help. Anything that confirms that either of you lived there at that time helps. What about tax documents? Amazon receipts? Letters from employers/doctors/dentist/etc.? You have to really think outside the box.

The letter from the former landlord would be good.