+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR and TRV immediate help please- 7 months pregnant!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Not that the processing times are entirely accurate, but you may have left this a bit too late. IRCC is currently showing TRV processing for Thailand at 110 days! That puts it around mid March for a result.Might want to start looking at plan B now....

Visitor visa (from outside Canada)

Thailand

110 days ?

Does not include transit time between the VAC and IRCC office.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/information/times/index.asp

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016 - SA:25/10/2016 - AOR2: 22/12/16
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
Not that the processing times are entirely accurate, but you may have left this a bit too late. IRCC is currently showing TRV processing for Thailand at 110 days! That puts it around mid March for a result.Might want to start looking at plan B now....

Thailand

110 days ?

Ouch, that’s a long time.. I’m surprised there is such a big difference in processing time for TRVs depending on ones country of origin. My husband got his within a week a couple of years ago from Guatemala.

Nov 1, 2016
Thailand
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
10-01-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1 - 24-01-2017, AOR2 20-02-2017
File Transfer...
01-02-2017
Med's Request
24-07-2017, further tests requested 13-08-2017
Med's Done....
08-08-2017
LANDED..........
22-12-2017

Thailand

110 days ?

Wow! That's insane! If it is a very slim chance, it might not even be worth applying for TRV since that will cause a 3 month delay for applying for PR. It's like half the time of the most recent times it took for Singapore to process a spousal sponsorship application if no issues!

Dec 7, 2017
I assume you are going to BC? Their rules are as you mentioned, with coverage starting remainder of month you arrive + 2 more months.

However you will NOT get a waiver if you need medical help or deliver baby earlier. They specifically state pregnancy does not qualify: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/how-to-enrol/coverage-wait-period
Appealing the Wait Period
The wait period protects the province’s health care plans by reducing the likelihood of individuals coming to British Columbia for the purpose of receiving health care services at public expense.

While a process is in place to review appeals from persons who have received, or will require, health care services during the wait period, waivers are only approved in the most extenuating circumstances. Please note that this waiver process is intended for persons who have already established residence in B.C.

When an appeal for a waiver of the wait period is received, consideration is given to a number of factors such as whether a verifiable error was made by Health Insurance BC in assigning the effective date of MSP coverage, whether the person’s medical condition meets a requirement of having been diagnosed in the wait period, the seriousness of the condition, whether the person was able to access required health care services during the wait period and whether private insurance was obtained/obtainable for the wait period. In addition, the costs of health care received during the wait period must meet the requirement of being financially devastating. Routine pre-natal care and the routine birth of a baby do not generally qualify a person for a waiver.

So to continue with your plan, you need to consider a likely scenario you deliver early, or have other costs come up during pregnancy that will require out of pocket payments. I would budget around $10,000 or so to be safe, and of course best case scenario your baby can hold off coming out until just past March 1. Note though you may still require check-ups, ultrasounds, blood work etc during last 3 months of pregnancy which you will all need to pay out of pocket. If you can find a midwife to use, then your costs may be reduced.

Ive been looking for JUST that for ages..... my parents called and were convinced it would be an option to appeal since i didnt come back by choice... but thats too much of a risk for me......... thank you so much for finding that.... and no i would NOT even consider looking at another province..thts seems just silly, ill stay in SE asia either under radar or in a close by country with good health care.

Dec 7, 2017
So the big question that Ashley is asking and is confused about... If she applies for TRV ASAP and tries to prove that her Thai husband will return to Thailand (property, assets, business, etc.) since that is what she needs to prove - will it be used against her when they apply for spousal sponsorship and then need to prove the exact opposite - that they are planning to move to Canada? Will they then say that they were either lying on the TRV app or lying on the spousal sponsorship app since they will give contradicting stories? Will they be shooting themselves in the foot if they apply for spousal sponsorship immediately after TRV? If TRV is such a slim chance of getting approved (since already rejected before marriage and now has strong ties being married to Canadian), is it even worth it to try if it puts PR in jeopardy? Or is there a way to use dual intent so that the applications match up and aren't contradicting each other? Such a tricky situation...
yes! thank you for clearing tthat up... exactly my words in clarity i couldnt even get out. so looks like based on processing time.. this option is out... if husband cant be there for my delivery.. Canada is a later option. i wil not let my husband miss out on his childs birth.... even if it means im in a hostel in china hahaha

Dec 7, 2017
There's absolutely no requirement for him to return to Thailand or be in Thailand to receive his PR if he applies outland. It's entirely possible to apply outland while "living" in Canada as a visitor. So applying outland is not in any way proof he will return home. Many of us here (my own husband included) applied outland from within Canada.

Provincial health care goes by month for only certain provinces. Other provinces have different rules. Which province are you returning to? For Ontario, it's by the day. So if you were to return December 31st you won't qualify for coverage until March 31st.

I would personally apply for the TRV as soon as possible (i.e. today). That's the only option that may get him here in time.

are you sure about this?? this is confusing to me... i am under the impression if he applys for PR outland, he must return back to Thailand to get the visa in his passport or for any interviews he may need. where is this information that says other wise? cause in that case since TRV is our of the processing range to even risk my husband not being there anywys.. thats kinda nulled and void anyway...
we could apply for PR then trv..dual intent... with TRV arrival to be later in the year after baby is born...then ideally his Pr will come in while in Canada and him not have to fly out and back again... wouldnt be a major issue if he did but would sure save on flights.. is that correct thats a possibility or completely wrong

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
are you sure about this?? this is confusing to me... i am under the impression if he applys for PR outland, he must return back to Thailand to get the visa in his passport or for any interviews he may need. where is this information that says other wise? cause in that case since TRV is our of the processing range to even risk my husband not being there anywys.. thats kinda nulled and void anyway...
we could apply for PR then trv..dual intent... with TRV arrival to be later in the year after baby is born...then ideally his Pr will come in while in Canada and him not have to fly out and back again... wouldnt be a major issue if he did but would sure save on flights.. is that correct thats a possibility or completely wrong
Yes, even if you apply Outland, he does not need to return to Thailand to get his visa. The visa office will request for his passport to be sent there only. My husband just did this; he’s been in Canada for a few months and just got his PR a month ago.

I’m not sure for interview though.. I think they are done in country of origin. Someone would have to confirm this.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
An outland applicant can be anywhere in the world during processing, so either outside or inside Canada.

When PR is approved and passport is requested for visa stamping, if in Canada at the time he may be able to submit it to CPC-Ottawa just for that, or may be able to courier the passport to home visa office if they demand it must get sent there.

You are right though for interviews, if one is requested then he would need to return to home country for that. I'm not sure the rate of interview requests for Thailand applicants these days. With a strong application may be a good chance no interview would even be required.

Last edited:

msb

Jan 7, 2011
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
07-12-2016
Doc's Request.
16-12-2016
AOR Received.
16-12-2016, AOR2 (RPRF req) 04/04/2017
File Transfer...
and SA on 21-12-2016
Med's Request
Was sent upfront
Med's Done....
22-10-2016 and passed, redone 16-11-2017
Interview........
26-10-2017 and approved for PR
Passport Req..
28-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
December 2017
LANDED..........
16-01-2018
The bad news is that you're not going to get any kind of guarantee.

Unfortunately the chances are relatively high a TRV will be refused given he had a previous refusal and is now married to a Canadian. However you should certainly try. Processing can take anywhere from a few days to several months (no guarantee you'll have a response by Dec 31st). To have the highest chance of approval, he needs to demonstrate very strong ties to his home country (job, property, assets, etc.) and prove that he has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. Make sure he lists all previous refusals in his application. A PR application will not be processed in three months - however you absolutely should file one immediately. If you come to Canada to have your baby, there is definitely no guarantee your husband will be able to arrive in time for the birth of your child. Dual intent will not guarantee approval.

Please also keep in mind that some provinces have waiting periods when you return before you will qualify for provincial health care coverage. For example, if you plan to return to Ontario, you won't qualify for provincial health care coverage for the first three months and will have to pay for any care out of your own pocket during this time (this would include the delivery of the child).

Good luck.

I know for NB and most provinces the 3 months wait only applies to canadians moving between provinces. I verified for my husband who has PR and medicare starts the day you apply, not 3 months later. That rule does not apply to him.

Dec 7, 2017
thanks everyone, so based on the application alone waiting time going to canada for babys birth is no longer an option. thank you all for your help. we are still going to go ahead with the PR visa outland and wait for acceptance.... if we can ever figure out half the questions... i will make aother post as i desperately need help trying to fill it out if anyone has any clues. THANKS

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
thanks everyone, so based on the application alone waiting time going to canada for babys birth is no longer an option. thank you all for your help. we are still going to go ahead with the PR visa outland and wait for acceptance.... if we can ever figure out half the questions... i will make aother post as i desperately need help trying to fill it out if anyone has any clues. THANKS
Feel free to send me a private message if you want. My husband and I went through pregnancy and immigration at the same time if you have questions :)

nourabed

Aug 30, 2017
Feel free to send me a private message if you want. My husband and I went through pregnancy and immigration at the same time if you have questions :)
Hi did you go through being pregnant and applyig for a Trv did it work? I’m also pregnant and I am going to apply a trv for my husband so he is there for his child’s delivery

Aw2018

Jan 6, 2018
I sent you a message regarding immigration and pregnancy , could you please help me out