+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR and health card info needed for an infant born outside Canada

tarikadeepak

Nov 7, 2020
Hi! My spouse and I are planning to move to Canada on PR, but our baby was born outside Canada after we received our PR card.
Do we have to apply for baby’s PR after we land in Canada?
Is the processing time for infants different than adults(I heard there are no security checks etc)?
Do we get health card for Baby after she gets the PR(Ontario)?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi! My spouse and I are planning to move to Canada on PR, but our baby was born outside Canada after we received our PR card.
Do we have to apply for baby’s PR after we land in Canada?
Is the processing time for infants different than adults(I heard there are no security checks etc)?
Do we get health card for Baby after she gets the PR(Ontario)?
So have you landed? Does baby have approved TRV? One parent must be in Canada to apply for child’s PR. Child is elgibile for OHIP once PR. Make sure you have private health insurance until then. Plan on 10-12 months if child is in Canada.

tarikadeepak

Nov 7, 2020
my bad, I thought you were asking about the landing of the permanent move. We did the landing last year and we have the PR card with us now.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
my bad, I thought you were asking about the landing of the permanent move. We did the landing last year and we have the PR card with us now.
Ok. So one parent must be in Canada to sponsor your infant. Does your child have a TRV? If not, need to apply for one. If refused then apply for TRP. If refused, one of you must move to Canada to start sponsorship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would actually recommend that one parent travel to find employment and housing before coming with a 6 month old especially if you don’t already have a job in Canada. It is much easier to live your life without a permanent place to live or job when you don’t have a 6 month old with you. The rental market is very competitive so securing housing depending on your budget can be very difficult. Many are offering to pay upfront for many months to a year of rent in advance in some cases.

Feb 28, 2024
Guys I need your advise, I am PR holders my wife's Outland sponsorship in progress(It's been 5 months already). Her TRV is approved, she's 4 months pregnant now . Planning to bring her to canada apply for work permit once landed in Canada and using an offer letter get her OHIP and deliver the baby in Canada. My wife want to stay in India and deliver the baby. If baby is delivered in India. I have to go through baby's PR process which is taking 10-11 months of processing time on IRCC portal. Please advise, Which option is best delivery in India or Canada?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Guys I need your advise, I am PR holders my wife's Outland sponsorship in progress(It's been 5 months already). Her TRV is approved, she's 4 months pregnant now . Planning to bring her to canada apply for work permit once landed in Canada and using an offer letter get her OHIP and deliver the baby in Canada. My wife want to stay in India and deliver the baby. If baby is delivered in India. I have to go through baby's PR process which is taking 10-11 months of processing time on IRCC portal. Please advise, Which option is best delivery in India or Canada?
Wait, have you wife passed medical exam? Unless she is willing to get X-ray while she is pregnant, she needs to wait for baby to be delivered before she can pass medical anyway.
If she has already passed medical, unless you want to pay for delivery out of pocket (unlikely to be covered by OHIP), it's going to cost less to deliever baby in India.
After baby is born, just add him/her to the sponsorship application as dependent. (She can't land as PR even if the application is approved and finish after baby is born)
The updated application shouldn't take 10 to 11 months in addition to your wife's application.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
So have you landed? Does baby have approved TRV? One parent must be in Canada to apply for child’s PR. Child is elgibile for OHIP once PR. Make sure you have private health insurance until then. Plan on 10-12 months if child is in Canada.
Will the baby be elligible for immunization program if she is daughter of PR ? Will private insurance cover for immunization costs?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Will the baby be elligible for immunization program if she is daughter of PR ? Will private insurance cover for immunization costs?
First depends on province, second depends on the private insurance you have. In some provinces getting immunization on private insurance / without public insurance is difficult, but may be different for children.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
First depends on province, second depends on the private insurance you have. In some provinces getting immunization on private insurance / without public insurance is difficult, but may be different for children.
I am in Ontario.