+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR after recent cancer

forestj

Feb 5, 2019
Hello

I was just about to start my Express Entry profile last year, qualifying for Canadian Experience Class and Federal Skilled Worker streams, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Currently undergoing treatment and PR plans have been on the back burner. Treatment is going well and I've started to get my head around PR again. If all goes well I should be cancer free by summer 2019. By my count I will only have about a year and a half to apply before my CRS score will be too low due to getting older (my score isn't huge right now so every birthday that goes by will take off crucial points). This means that all going well cancer-wise I will only have the chance to be in remission for a year and a half at the most before applying. Are there any stories of anyone out there who has managed to complete their PR while being in remission for such a short time? I certainly won't be able to wait the 5 years that would comfortably class me as cancer free. I have read up on medical inadmissibility a fair amount now and think it is perfectly valid and understandably that people who could potentially require a large amount of healthcare can't be approved for PR. I also know it will all be assessed on an individual basis and there is no blanket rule. Just wondering if there are any stories of anyone with such recent cancer being approved? It is a lot of hassle, stress and expense to go to to be denied on medical grounds so would love to know my chances before I even start on anything else.

Thank you

KIRAN_87

Aug 22, 2019
Hello

I was just about to start my Express Entry profile last year, qualifying for Canadian Experience Class and Federal Skilled Worker streams, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Currently undergoing treatment and PR plans have been on the back burner. Treatment is going well and I've started to get my head around PR again. If all goes well I should be cancer free by summer 2019. By my count I will only have about a year and a half to apply before my CRS score will be too low due to getting older (my score isn't huge right now so every birthday that goes by will take off crucial points). This means that all going well cancer-wise I will only have the chance to be in remission for a year and a half at the most before applying. Are there any stories of anyone out there who has managed to complete their PR while being in remission for such a short time? I certainly won't be able to wait the 5 years that would comfortably class me as cancer free. I have read up on medical inadmissibility a fair amount now and think it is perfectly valid and understandably that people who could potentially require a large amount of healthcare can't be approved for PR. I also know it will all be assessed on an individual basis and there is no blanket rule. Just wondering if there are any stories of anyone with such recent cancer being approved? It is a lot of hassle, stress and expense to go to to be denied on medical grounds so would love to know my chances before I even start on anything else.

Thank you

forestj

Feb 5, 2019
I've just started looking into again having now finished treatment. Still looking for success stories of others and can't figure out if it's worth the risk for me or not...

Mahil

Sep 23, 2020
I am on the same page. We finally received our invitation in September 2020 and went to do our medicals. But unfortunately, my x-ray came back abnormal and IRCC came back to provide a report of treatment plan and prognosis etc. before even me submitting my documents. I submitted my documents with all my updated doctor's letter to let them know what is happening with the treatment plan. I had to undergo a surgery and I uploaded my documents including my discharge summary etc. I have now been diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma , a rare type of cancer, and waiting for my treatment plan. I am planning to submit all my documents once I am informed of my treatment plan etc. I don't have any hope for our application being approved but I have not heard back from IRCC at all but there was an update right after my panel physician sent my reports to IRCC stating that they are reviewing my medicals and my BRP enrollment is updated and is valid until 2027. I am looking for answer whether anyone has similar stories as mine?

Mahil

Sep 23, 2020
I've just started looking into again having now finished treatment. Still looking for success stories of others and can't figure out if it's worth the risk for me or not...
Hi, Did you apply? I am going through treatment as my cancer is found when I went for my Canadian medical and waiting for a decision.

Sruthi2592

Jul 30, 2021
Hello

Thank you
Did you get the pr?

Sruthi2592

Jul 30, 2021
I am on the same page. We finally received our invitation in September 2020 and went to do our medicals. But unfortunately, my x-ray came back abnormal and IRCC came back to provide a report of treatment plan and prognosis etc. before even me submitting my documents. I submitted my documents with all my updated doctor's letter to let them know what is happening with the treatment plan. I had to undergo a surgery and I uploaded my documents including my discharge summary etc. I have now been diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma , a rare type of cancer, and waiting for my treatment plan. I am planning to submit all my documents once I am informed of my treatment plan etc. I don't have any hope for our application being approved but I have not heard back from IRCC at all but there was an update right after my panel physician sent my reports to IRCC stating that they are reviewing my medicals and my BRP enrollment is updated and is valid until 2027. I am looking for answer whether anyone has similar stories as mine?
Did you get pr?

Mahil

Sep 23, 2020
Did you get pr?
Hi there,

Hope you are well. May I know what type of cancer you have or had if you dont mind telling me. Just to give you some hope, IRCC asked me to provide end of treatment report which I have done and I have passed my medicals the next day. Mine was at early stage so this maybhave played a part. I am still waiting for the final decision. I hope my answer put your mind at ease. Any questions, pls feel free to mesaage me.

rskyadams

May 10, 2020
Hi, thank you for your reply.

I'm happy you have passed your medical exam.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer, Estrogen Receptor-Positive. Fortunately, I'm at early stage and my tumors have been removed in August 2020.
I'm under Hormone therapy. (No Chemotherapy and radiation).

I've submitted my application for PR under TR to PR, International Student Steam in May 2021, which is a New Immigration Policy.
I had the IME was in June 2021. I submitted all the support documents from my health care team, include an Oncological report and results of a genetic testing, and doctor's notes. The doctor's notes say that my current status is completely stable. I'm eligible for the New Immigration Policy, but my only concern is the IME.

Mahil

Sep 23, 2020
I am glad to hear that you are in remission and the tumour is removed. I have gone through surgery, chemo and radiation. But mine is Hodgkins Lymphoma. Since yours as well at early stage, you should not worry. How long do you have to go through hormone theraphy? They may have to check the threshold of medical expenses may be? But, dont stress yourself too much and I really hope all works out in your favour. Good luck x