+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR - Visa needed for applicant, eTA for spouse

softmallowgum

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Hey guys,

For the passport request, I am a bit confused on what to send since my spouse and I are citizens of different countries.

I am the principal applicant and I am from a country that needs a visa, but my spouse is from a place that only needs an ETA.

Do we:
1. Send both of our original passports;
2. Send my original passport and a photocopy of my spouse's passport

Also, do we need to send our marriage certificate again or is it just for those newly married? For ours, we already submitted it with our PR application.

Thank you!

EDIT: We are both in Canada

Last edited:

spth38

Jan 11, 2014
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2017
Doc's Request.
19-06-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
08-06-2017
Passport Req..
30-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2017
LANDED..........
19-10-2017
Hi there, I have personally dealt with two different visa offices (Singapore and Hong Kong) and realized that they do things differently. Singapore VO asked for all passports regardless of country of citizenship. HK VO asked only for ones required a visa to enter Canada. So the answer is it depends on your Visa Office. What I suggest you do is follow exactly what your PPR email asked you to do to avoid any delays.

I don't believe marriage cert is required.

Reactions: softmallowgum

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
1. Send your original passport and a photocopy of your spouse's passport.
2. No marriage certificate is required.
Just follow instructions in the PPR email and you will be fine.
Good luck!

softmallowgum

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Hi there, I have personally dealt with two different visa offices (Singapore and Hong Kong) and realized that they do things differently. Singapore VO asked for all passports regardless of country of citizenship. HK VO asked only for ones required a visa to enter Canada. So the answer is it depends on your Visa Office. What I suggest you do is follow exactly what your PPR email asked you to do to avoid any delays.

I don't believe marriage cert is required.
Thank you so much for your reply.

We are both in Canada so I guess we are dealing with the Ottawa office. The confusion is the accompanying members part. I'll sleep on it tonight and just see how it goes. The email says this for reference;

P 2: DETERMINE IF YOU NEED TO SUBMIT YOUR PASSPORT(S)

· Determine if you are holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada, by checking this website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp.

· If you are holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada, you will need to submit the passport for you and for each accompanying family member. To avoid complications with international travel, it is recommended that your passport(s) be valid for at least 6 months. Your passport must have at least two blank pages. If a child is included on your passport, you must have one blank page per accompanying child. Please note that you STILL need to submit the passport even if:

o You have a valid Canadian temporary residence visa.

o You are a permanent resident of the U.S.A AND holder of passport from countries whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada.

· If you are holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need an eTA to travel to Canada or a holder of passport(s) from the United States, you will need to submit one photocopy of the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the passport for you and for each accompanying family member. Please do not send your original passport(s). Your passport(s) should be valid for at least 6 months.

If you are currently residing in Canada and you intend to travel by air to another country prior to becoming a permanent resident, you will be required to apply and obtain an eTA prior to boarding.

***Please note that Confirmation of Permanent Residence and permanent residence visas cannot be issued to holders of Diplomatic, Official or Military passports. You must have an ordinary passport.***

spth38

Jan 11, 2014
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-04-2017
Doc's Request.
19-06-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
08-06-2017
Passport Req..
30-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2017
LANDED..........
19-10-2017
Thank you so much for your reply.

We are both in Canada so I guess we are dealing with the Ottawa office. The confusion is the accompanying members part. I'll sleep on it tonight and just see how it goes. The email says this for reference;

P 2: DETERMINE IF YOU NEED TO SUBMIT YOUR PASSPORT(S)

· Determine if you are holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada, by checking this website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp.

· If you are holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada, you will need to submit the passport for you and for each accompanying family member. To avoid complications with international travel, it is recommended that your passport(s) be valid for at least 6 months. Your passport must have at least two blank pages. If a child is included on your passport, you must have one blank page per accompanying child. Please note that you STILL need to submit the passport even if:

o You have a valid Canadian temporary residence visa.

o You are a permanent resident of the U.S.A AND holder of passport from countries whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada.

· If you are holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need an eTA to travel to Canada or a holder of passport(s) from the United States, you will need to submit one photocopy of the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the passport for you and for each accompanying family member. Please do not send your original passport(s). Your passport(s) should be valid for at least 6 months.

If you are currently residing in Canada and you intend to travel by air to another country prior to becoming a permanent resident, you will be required to apply and obtain an eTA prior to boarding.

***Please note that Confirmation of Permanent Residence and permanent residence visas cannot be issued to holders of Diplomatic, Official or Military passports. You must have an ordinary passport.***
Judging for the PPR, I would say ...2 is the right choice. Send your original passport and a photocopy of your spouse's passport

Oct 1, 2017
Hey @softmallowgum !

I was in the same exact situation with my common law partner (I did not need visa, just eTA, and he was from a visa required country)
So we sent the photocopy of my passport and his original passport.

We received the coPR back without any trouble!

softmallowgum

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Hey @softmallowgum !

I was in the same exact situation with my common law partner (I did not need visa, just eTA, and he was from a visa required country)
So we sent the photocopy of my passport and his original passport.

We received the coPR back without any trouble!
Thank you!! We submitted his photocopy only and my original passport. We confirmed with a CIC agent and they said it won't be an issue as well. Thank you so much! Hope we get ours soon <3