+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR to COPR query

immigrant_kane

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
Hi All,

I have a question regarding a unique situation.
I am work permit holder and my work permit is valid till March 2023. I have been working in Canada for more than 2 years and I am traveling to India currently for some personal work.

Now suppose I will only be back to Canada on 25th Dec 2022.

Meanwhile suppose my EE application gets approved and I get a PPR request, let's say on 10th Dec 2022.

Now based on what I have read online, there are few options:
1. Online virtual landing/approval of PPR to E-COPR for people inside Canada, but you need to submit a webform within 5 days of receipt of PPR.
2. Physically submit passport and photos to an office in India to get the physical copy/visa stamp of COPR
3. Flagpoling by entering Canada from outside and getting it processed at the port of entry (let's say U.S/in my case India).

I don't know how legitimate the 3rd option is, first two options are as stated on some email PPR requests I have seen.
However, PPR email states, if you're inside Canada you need to submit webform within 5 days of receipt of PPR email/letter. However, 30 days are allowed for physically submitting your passport and photos if you're outside of Canada.

Now my question is, suppose I receive the PPR on 10th DEC 2022, but I can't travel before 25th DEC 2022 back to Canada. Its neither possible to submit the online acceptance within the 5 day period nor can I submit my passport to the passport office in India (home country) as I have to travel on 25th Jan and COPR stamping would take more than 15-20 days, so where does that leave me? I am in that gray area where there doesn't seem to be clear instructions for.

Can someone advice what I should do?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi All,

I am work permit holder and my work permit is valid till March 2023. I have been working in Canada for more than 2 years and I am traveling to India currently for some personal work.

Meanwhile suppose my EE application gets approved and I get a PPR request, let's say on 10th Dec 2022.

1. Online virtual landing/approval of PPR to E-COPR for people inside Canada, but you need to submit a webform within 5 days of receipt of PPR.
2. Physically submit passport and photos to an office in India to get the physical copy/visa stamp of COPR
3. Flagpoling by entering Canada from outside and getting it processed at the port of entry (let's say U.S/in my case India).

I don't know how legitimate the 3rd option is, first two options are as stated on some email PPR requests I have seen.
However, PPR email states, if you're inside Canada you need to submit webform within 5 days of receipt of PPR email/letter. However, 30 days are allowed for physically submitting your passport and photos if you're outside of Canada.

Now my question is, suppose I receive the PPR on 10th DEC 2022, but I can't travel before 25th DEC 2022 back to Canada. Its neither possible to submit the online acceptance within the 5 day period nor can I submit my passport to the passport office in India (home country) as I have to travel on 25th Jan and COPR stamping would take more than 15-20 days, so where does that leave me? I am in that gray area where there doesn't seem to be clear instructions for.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous. Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days. See what time abroad counts towards your permanent resident status.

Your question has nothing to do with RO.

Don't know that you mean by "Flagpoling" but entering from "outside" flagpoling is for ppl who are INSIDE Canada.

immigrant_kane

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
@YVR123 Thanks for the response. I think Flagpoling is not an option for me.
I don't know what you mean by RO? Can you elaborate?

My question is slightly nuanced. I am not technically talking about PR card. I am asking what I should do to save myself unnecessary trouble at the airport/port of entry. Do you understand my situation I have described ? I am unsure if I should submit my passport in India to get COPR or return back to Canada as soon as I get PPR request, so that I can do it online when I am in Canada.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
@YVR123 Thanks for the response. I think Flagpoling is not an option for me.
I don't know what you mean by RO? Can you elaborate?

My question is slightly nuanced. I am not technically talking about PR card. I am asking what I should do to save myself unnecessary trouble at the airport/port of entry. Do you understand my situation I have described ? I am unsure if I should submit my passport in India to get COPR or return back to Canada as soon as I get PPR request, so that I can do it online when I am in Canada.
Read the link I posted above. That's RO.

And you posted in the wrong section of the forum. This section is about RO (Permanent Residency Obligations)

You are NOT even a PR yet, there is nothing you need to do with RO until then.

Lovepunjab93

Nov 19, 2022
Hi All,

Hi , did you get your copr?

Snape09

Star Member
Jul 21, 2022
Has anyone recently sent their passport from USA to Ottawa by Fedex? How long did it take you to receive your visa and COPR?

My timeline (FSW-Outland):

AOR: 10/30/2022.

Passport request and photos request: 3/21/2023.

Passport and photos delivered to Ottawa: 4/5/2023

MD1990FSW

Nov 10, 2021
Has anyone recently sent their passport from USA to Ottawa by Fedex? How long did it take you to receive your visa and COPR?

My timeline (FSW-Outland):

AOR: 10/30/2022.

Passport request and photos request: 3/21/2023.

Passport and photos delivered to Ottawa: 4/5/2023
I am in the same position, any luck knowing the processing time?