+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR Stage: How do you send your passport to Canada from USA?

cindyu

Mar 21, 2016
Hello,

Can anyone please share your experience sending your passport to Canada from the US? What courier did you use? UPS, FedEx, DHL, USPS (post office)?? Did you have to provide the IRCC's phone number to send the documents? How did you get the prepaid self-addressed envelope? Did you get a tracking number?

I've recently gotten a request for my passport. I currently reside in the US, so I went to a local UPS store yesterday to send my passport to Ottawa as instructed by IRCC. However, UPS refused to send my documents to Canada unless I provide them with a phone number of the addressee. They told me to use the US Postal Service (USPS) instead because they don't require the addresses's phone number. I don't think I can use USPS because I also need a prepaid self-addressed envelope. IRCC would not be able to use a prepaid USPS envelope because you cannot use USPS service from within Canada. USPS only operates in the US. IRCC only gave me an address to send my passport to, and no phone number, so I cannot use UPS. I'm yet to try FedEx or DHL, but they might ask for a phone number too. I'm very confused now as to what to do to send my passport to Canada and back to the US.

It would be great to know what others have done to successfully their passport to Canada and back. Thanks!

cindyu

Mar 21, 2016
YES! Problem solved.

I went to two different UPS store and they both refused to sell me prepaid self-addressed envelopes to Canada, but I got around it by buying all the shipping labels online. Even better, UPS online was offering 40% discount for express shipping to Canada last week. Just go to UPS.com and choose Ship and create your labels -- one for sending your passport to Ottawa and another one for IRCC to mail it back to you. Pay for the labels with your credit card, print them out, put the prepaid return label on an envelope, put everything in another envelope labeled, drop it off at the nearest UPS store, and done. They will not refuse it. The online forms will still ask you for a phone number for the addressee. I just put IRCC's phone number. The 1-877 one.

It worked. IRCC got my passport about 2 days after I dropped off my package to UPS and it is now on its way back to me.

Good luck and God bless!

ss0592

Star Member
Dec 22, 2017
Thanks so much for the detailed reply! I will try asap and let you know how it goes. In the event of no discounts, would you say UPS was the cheaper option? Or did you not look into FedEx at all?

ss0592

Star Member
Dec 22, 2017
I'm sorry I'm so confused. Would you recommend creating labels in the store? I just cannot understand how to create a "return" label online. Is the same as creating an original one but putting your address? :(

hegdvin

Jul 22, 2017
YES! Problem solved.

I went to two different UPS store and they both refused to sell me prepaid self-addressed envelopes to Canada, but I got around it by buying all the shipping labels online. Even better, UPS online was offering 40% discount for express shipping to Canada last week. Just go to UPS.com and choose Ship and create your labels -- one for sending your passport to Ottawa and another one for IRCC to mail it back to you. Pay for the labels with your credit card, print them out, put the prepaid return label on an envelope, put everything in another envelope labeled, drop it off at the nearest UPS store, and done. They will not refuse it. The online forms will still ask you for a phone number for the addressee. I just put IRCC's phone number. The 1-877 one.

It worked. IRCC got my passport about 2 days after I dropped off my package to UPS and it is now on its way back to me.

Good luck and God bless!
Hi,

Did you put two labels in two different envelopes or two labels in single envelope ?

hegdvin

Jul 22, 2017
Hey, so we need to create 2 separate labels then? Sorry I have literally never done anything related to shipping before!
What I understand from Cindyu's post is that, yes you have to create two shipping labels. One to send your passport to IRCC and second one is a return shipping label so that IRCC can send the passport back to you. The question what I had is whether both the labels were sent through one envelope to IRCC ?

ziszee

Oct 18, 2018
Hi I am in USA and instructed to send my passport to Ottawa as well . But they specifically mentioned not to give ircc phone no or email address. On shipping label . What no. Should I put then?

ziszee

Oct 18, 2018
YES! Problem solved.

Good luck and God bless!
Hi i am also instructed to send passport to Ottawa. But the email specifically said not to put ircc phone no or email address on shipping label . What phone no should I use then ?

ShreeS

Star Member
Nov 17, 2018
Hi i am also instructed to send passport to Ottawa. But the email specifically said not to put ircc phone no or email address on shipping label . What phone no should I use then ?
@ziszee What you did finally then? how could you send you passport?

FeelTheBern

Star Member
Nov 15, 2020
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-12-2020
Med's Request
22-03-2022
Med's Done....
01-04-2022
Passport Req..
14-04-2022
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2022
Hi All,

I've recently received PPR on April 14th (AOR: Dec 2020) and I need to send the passports to CPC Ottawa within a month.

I have a few queries regarding the passport submission process as listed below:

1. I was trying to create onward and return shipping labels through FedEx online account. It's not allowing me to write the entire second line of CPCO address: "US Permanent /Temporary Residence VISA/Passports" due to size constraint. Could anyone please confirm what should be done here?
2. Should we put the required documents for all my family members in one single package? Also, should we mention all the names in Annex A or just my name (principal applicant)?
3. Should I paste the return label on the return envelope or keep the label inside the return envelope? What about the commercial invoice for return label?
4. I saw some US based people sending their passports to NY / LA VAC instead of CPC Ottawa. Is there a way to change it to a location within the US?

Appreciate your inputs and guidance!