+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR request & Passport expiry date

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
Guys, I really need some insights here.

My passport usually takes ages to get renewed and I have an upcoming exam by end of this year which I will need the passport for, to be allowed to take it. So I need good information to be able to plan everything out.

Given the standard processing time of applications and expected Covid delays, I am expecting my PPR to come through around October/November

1) Now in response to PPR, do we send passports all the way to Canada for stamping? Or does the stamping take place in a regional immigration office/embassy in the current country? I am asking this because I want to know how long should I expect my passport to be taken away from me (worried they will request it around my exam time which is early December!!)
2) Around the time I will get PPR, my passport will be valid for less than six months, could they refuse to stamp it? Do they require the passport to be more than six months valid in order to stamp the visa on it?
3) Depending on the answer of Q2, if they stamp it just fine, when I renew my passport before I do the landing (i plan to get it renewed after my exam), will I have to send it again to get the visa stamped on the new one? Or will I be able to land just fine using my old and new passport?

Thanks in advance, your help is much appreciated!

guitarman

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
I think they will request a new passport if it's less than six months old at the time of your application. We applied, but then immediately started the new passport process and then uploaded the new passport scans via a CSE once we got the new ones.

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
I think they will request a new passport if it's less than six months old at the time of your application. We applied, but then immediately started the new passport process and then uploaded the new passport scans via a CSE once we got the new ones.
Is this from personal experience? I am talking about the not stamping part if it is less than six months. I mean is it a sure thing confirmed by them already to you ir are you just guessing? because i think i read about some people who had it stamped but question is what is the next step will i have to transfer the visa or not

El_Brujo81

Sep 4, 2019
Hi @LadyMacbeth,

I think it's pretty hard to answer your questions right now given the current situation. Moreover, at this point, nobody knows what's going to happen by the end of the year.

What you should know at this moment is that normally the deadline to submit your passports after you get PPR is 30 days. Due to COVID-19, they extended the deadline to 90 days. See below:

Permanent residence applications that we’re still processing
Some steps you may not be able to complete right now include

• submitting your passport or supporting documents, such as a police certificate
  • completing an immigration medical exam
No application in progress will be closed or refused because of documents missing due to COVID-19. We’ll automatically give you 90 days to complete these steps. Once you’re able to, complete the steps as soon as possible to avoid delays.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

I would check out myimmitracker.com for community-driven updates on passport processing times. See my timeline below on my signature. It's been almost 2 months since I've got my PPR and I still don't get my documents back. By the end of the year, chances are you may or may not get yours on time for your exam depending on the situation by then.

Also, bear in mind that you're allowed to submit your passport to Ottawa if you're currently residing in Canada or the USA. Otherwise, you'll have to submit your documents to your closest Visa Office. As of now, most VOs overseas are temporarily closed. See below for more information:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/offices.html

Regarding the validity of your passport, I'm not sure. It's always best to reach out to IRCC directly for inquiring them about your situation. In my personal opinion, If I were you, I would give a try renewing your booklet ahead of time so you minimize the risk of facing added delays in the final stages of your application.

Hope the above helps so you make informed decisions. All the best!

felixnote

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
Dear all,

Please I got PPR when my daughter's passport just had 4months validity. Unfortunately, I couldn't renew her passport due to the lack of Passport booklets in Nigeria and consequently, I had to submit our travel docs with hers so I don't miss the submission deadline of 15days. Now, passport booklets are ready but, I have already mailed in the old passport. Please can I send the new one with an LOE. Your reply would be highly appreciated.

Thanks always for your guidance and support.

With much regards,

Felixnote

Femiii

Feb 14, 2020
Dear all,

Please I got PPR when my daughter's passport just had 4months validity. Unfortunately, I couldn't renew her passport due to the lack of Passport booklets in Nigeria and consequently, I had to submit our travel docs with hers so I don't miss the submission deadline of 15days. Now, passport booklets are ready but, I have already mailed in the old passport. Please can I send the new one with an LOE. Your reply would be highly appreciated.

Thanks always for your guidance and support.

With much regards,

Felixnote
Hi Felixnote, I would like to know if your daughter's old passport was later stamped or it was the new one that got stamped.

Zahya

Star Member
Mar 24, 2021
Hi Femiii, the new Passport was stamped!
Hi @felixnote. I am in the same situation.

I am confused as today I got gckey update in my account that it has been approved but the travel document shown in it is the old passport number!
Wanted to ask you whether they issued old passport number in the visa issued in new passport?

felixnote

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
Hi @felixnote. I am in the same situation.

I am confused as today I got gckey update in my account that it has been approved but the travel document shown in it is the old passport number!
Wanted to ask you whether they issued old passport number in the visa issued in new passport?
No, they will most likely cancel the approvals on the old passports and re-issue and re-issue on the new ones. Mine took about 3days, first the application changed to in-progress and then approved after 3days. Don't panic please

pkapil

Feb 27, 2021
Hi All,

I need informatin for the same situation in which i will be soon.

Currently, I have received BIOMETRIC REQUEST and my passport is about to expire in next 9 months.
So I am confused that whether shall I get my Passport renewed before the PPR or afterwards, as till the tilme it will be less than 6 months validity?

Please advise.

Mikem86

Star Member
Jul 10, 2018
Hi All,

I need informatin for the same situation in which i will be soon.

Currently, I have received BIOMETRIC REQUEST and my passport is about to expire in next 9 months.
So I am confused that whether shall I get my Passport renewed before the PPR or afterwards, as till the tilme it will be less than 6 months validity?

Please advise.
We made a new passport for my wife after PPR. Just consider that you'll be given only a month to submit your passports, so the question is how long will it normally take for your country of citizenship to issue you a new passport? If it takes more than a month, then I suggest that you have your passport renewed before PPR. In our case, our embassy (we were not living in our home country) takes 2-3 days to issue a new passport. And generally, changing a passport is really not that big of a deal and you can always change it while waiting for your PPR. All you need to do after making a new passport is to raise and webform and inform IRCC by sending them a scanned copy of your old and new passports.

Good luck

Reactions: pkapil

pkapil

Feb 27, 2021
We made a new passport for my wife after PPR. Just consider that you'll be given only a month to submit your passports, so the question is how long will it normally take for your country of citizenship to issue you a new passport? If it takes more than a month, then I suggest that you have your passport renewed before PPR. In our case, our embassy (we were not living in our home country) takes 2-3 days to issue a new passport. And generally, changing a passport is really not that big of a deal and you can always change it while waiting for your PPR. All you need to do after making a new passport is to raise and webform and inform IRCC by sending them a scanned copy of your old and new passports.

Good luck
Thanks for sharing your experience. This really helps.

As I am currently a resideing in another country other than my citizenship country and here its takes around 2-3 weeks for teh passport to be renewed.
Then I will be initiating the renewal after I get biometrics done and hopefully before the PPR request, should have my new passport as well.