+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ppr request 60 days--can I delay passport submission?

raool

Nov 8, 2009
Hello, I am in a very strange situation.I am an Indian and I had applied from London in 2006 while I was there on a work permit.Now I am back in delhi and got a 60 day ppr letter from chc london 2-3 weeks back.I would now have to take a UK visa for going to london but my problem is that I am critically involved in a project which will take another 2 months and my employer is not willing to give me leave.He is not ready to give me a leave letter until 2 months and no reference which i would need for UK tourist visa to show my employment proof.Personally I want to land there in June/July next year so I am not really upset with my employer as I am getting some useful work experience here in delhi.

I understand that CHC New delhi cannot issue a visa as I applied in London and sending Indian passport to london by courier or somebody else is illegal.(read in forums--although its written on back of passport that it can be in hands of an authorised person)

Now kindly guide me as to:

Shall i get my file transferred to new delhi (if it takes 4-5 months)
or
shall I ask a 3-4 month extension to 60 day ppr letter?I did my medicals in sept 09 so I have time until sept 2010.

swattoo

Star Member
Sep 30, 2009
I think you do not need to go to London for Visa Stamping. You can courier your passport to them and they will send it back after stamping the visa. Its a normal practice. just check with the courier agency/ies that have a tie up with CHC - London and send your passport.

"DO NOT" request for change in your visa office at this time.................

mohitarora1979

Star Member
Jan 18, 2009
hi ya,

this is my personal experience............

i am indian and right now living in india.

i have send my passport to london through my friend but i have gave him notarized authorization letter to carry passport.

my passport is in london. he is going to submit very soon and bring it back to india after visa issuance.

singh123

Apr 24, 2009
raool said:
Hello, I am in a very strange situation.I am an Indian and I had applied from London in 2006 while I was there on a work permit.Now I am back in delhi and got a 60 day ppr letter from chc london 2-3 weeks back.I would now have to take a UK visa for going to london but my problem is that I am critically involved in a project which will take another 2 months and my employer is not willing to give me leave.He is not ready to give me a leave letter until 2 months and no reference which i would need for UK tourist visa to show my employment proof.Personally I want to land there in June/July next year so I am not really upset with my employer as I am getting some useful work experience here in delhi.

I understand that CHC New delhi cannot issue a visa as I applied in London and sending Indian passport to london by courier or somebody else is illegal.(read in forums--although its written on back of passport that it can be in hands of an authorised person)

Now kindly guide me as to:

Shall i get my file transferred to new delhi (if it takes 4-5 months)
or
shall I ask a 3-4 month extension to 60 day ppr letter?I did my medicals in sept 09 so I have time until sept 2010.
Sending Indian passport outside the country of residence through post/courier is illegal. Even if you send it the CHC London may not send it back to you through post/courier.

You have to land within one year of your medicals.

London is flexible and if you email them they may consider your request for extention but may not be for the period/months you request. You have to give a solid reason.

Follow what Mohit has posted if possible. It is the best way to get the job done.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: carl321

raool

Nov 8, 2009
Hello guys:

My ppr letter is of 60 days and it states "

Submit your passport, photos and information within 60 days of the date of this letter. Please see the last page of this letter for information about submitting your passports, photos and information.

Unless your passport expires on an earlier date, your visas will expire one year from the date of your medical examinations. You must enter Canada on or before this date. If your passport, or any of your family members' passports, are due to expire before this date, all visas will expire on the date that the first passport expires.

The validity of a Permanent Resident visa cannot be extended, nor can a replacement visa be issued with a new validity date.

If you do not provide us with your passport(s) before the expiry of your visa or you do not use your visa(s) before their expiry date, and you still wish to immigrate to Canada, you will have to submit a new application and processing fee. A new application would be assessed according to the Immigration Act and Regulations in force at that time."

I contacted the passport office here in Delhi and they asked me to go to ministry of external affairs where i was clearly told that it could land me in trouble if my passport was in somebodys hands even with authorisation letter..I am totally lost..

Yarla7bh

Sep 12, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 22, 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 23, 2009
AOR Received.
May 06, 2010 (2nd AOR)
File Transfer...
Aug 04, 2010. NY
Med's Request
Oct 26, 2010
Med's Done....
Dec 09, 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
If you do not mind getting delayed for the PR for a few months...............I would suggest write a quick email and a letter clearly stating your situation and request for an extension of passport request. Send your email and mention that a letter is following with the same.

I think it is not uncommon that these situations arise given the time it takes for PR processing....in your case almost 3years.....things change and people change places......so its quite understandable.

Clearly state your situation and request a reasonable time....

I hope there would be many people who might have experienced the same in the forum........lets hope you get practical suggestions

Good Luck

mohitarora1979

Star Member
Jan 18, 2009
hi ,

mate many of freind has done the same thing and now enjoying life in canada. you shouldnot worry.

i am 100% sure if you send your passport with a freind with notarized authorization to carry your passport, you will definetly get back your pasport with visa.

i dont think you are doing anything illegal.

now it is up to you.

swattoo

Star Member
Sep 30, 2009
I don't understand how is this possible that you can not send your passport through courier or legally through any of your friend. It is a common practice to send your passport to an embassy/high commission for visa stamping.

Do you think all CHC - London applicants live in London? Or they would especially come to London for getting visa stamp. CHC - London is responsible for approx 6, 7 GCC counties + many other applicants for PR. Do you think all those who are found eligible, especially go to London for getting their visa stamp. No my friend. This is not possible.

Kindly check with CHC - London for their partner/affiliated courier agency. Contact the agency in India and send your passport through them.

SASIF

Star Member
Jul 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What i understand from the letter sent by CHC, you can not extend your visa beyond the expiry of your passport or your medical examination, which makes the maximum period to be one year. If this presumtion is right then CHC should not object to your request to delay rhe passport submission if it falls within the limits otherwise. In my opinion you should try to send a request for delay in passport submission before trying anything else.

singh123

Apr 24, 2009
This is a topic I have been watching since last 6 months. Yes it is illegal to send it outside the country of residence either through courier/post. As regards the authorised person in possession of your passport, well this was a grey area. As the passport last page says it can be in possession of an authorised person. But it is silent on whether the authorised person can carry it outside the country of residence. However as Rasool as already visited the ministry of external affairs and have been categorically told it is illegal than that is the correct position. The fault is with the Indian ministry who do not clarify the law on the issue. Even the lastest passport issued have the same text/warning/caution as it did some 20 years ago. The have not even bothered to add courier along with post as understandable courier services were non-existent 20 years ago. I happened to visit an Indian consulate in west and it was posted on the notice board that the ministry of external affairs has taken a strong notice of people sending their passports outside the country of residence and should anyone be caught strong action will be taken as it amounts to getting the visa in absentia. But how on earth will someone get the job done with all this confusion? The goverment of India is happy to have NRIs send dollars back into the country but least bothered about the problems faced by them.

If one follows the law in letter and spirit the person will have to get a visitor visa to UK and then travel and stay in the UK till the stamping is done. He will end up paying atleast 1 Lakh rupees or more. And the major problem of leave from employer is still hanging.

I think write a email to the London office and ask for their advise. But then you have two issues to be sorted one extension of date of passport submission and second how to legally submit the passport and get it back after stamping.

Agreed many people have successfully sent their passport for stamping through authorised person, read the post of one balakri on the issue. But it is illegal. If many people are doing it does not make the practise legal.

This seems to be a never ending topic. But everytime some new information emerges. So thanks to Raool for his visit to ministry of external affairs and sharing their advise.

Please keep contributing to this topic and share your experience.

singh123

Apr 24, 2009
You all may be interested to read the reply of Delhi on this matter to one "Anish7453" which I am copy pasting below:

Source: http://www.trackitt.com/canada-discussion-forums/provincial-nominees/364922029/mailing-passport-across-country-borders-for-pr-stamp

Heelo to all,

You can never send your passport outside of India. I am passing through same situation. I am in canada but my wife has to apply for USA visa to get stamped canadian permanent residency visa from New york.

I guess this is the best idea to go in person insted of sending representative...
This is the mail that I got from Delhi embassy, might be useful for all of u.....

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is in response to your recent email enquiry to the Immigration Section of the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi.

If the Visa Office where your application is in process has requested you to submit your passport for visa issuance, you must submit your passport to the same Visa Office. No other Visa Office can issue the visa, nor can your passport be forwarded by one Visa Office to another.

We understand that, if you are currently in India and your application is process elsewhere, you will encounter difficulty trying to send your passport out of India. Since Indian law prohibits the sending of passports in and out of the country by mail or courier, you are advised to personally travel to the country where the Visa Office is situated in order to submit your passport, or to request a trusted person to carry your passport to that country on your behalf. Before choosing the latter option, however, it is essential to check with the Visa Office to find out whether they will accept passports submitted by a representative. If yes, you must provide authorization in writing to your representative to submit your passport on your behalf. You can complete and print the “Use of a Representative” form at this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applic.... Please note that you may also be required to provide a mailing address in that country to which your passport can be returned after the visa is issued. We recommend that you check the Visa Office's website for complete information.

We trust that this information will be of assistance.

Immigration Section / Section de l’immigration
Canadian High Commission / Haut-Commissariat du Canada
7/8 Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi
India / Inde

Websites/ Sites web: www.india.gc.ca
www.cic.gc.ca
www.vfs-canada.co.in
www.goingtocanada.gc.ca

For all e-mail correspondence with our office, we request you to use the enquiries form at:
https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/cicemail/intro-eng....
Always include the applicant's full name, date of birth, and file number in your message

raool

Nov 8, 2009
Hello Friends,

Good to see so many inputs on the forum...And Dear Mr Singh...I appreciate your efforts on passport issue...its really sad to see the Indian authorities not interested....I even contacted customs people...on airport who are there for vigilance...but they also had no idea.....all of them said go yourself..why take a chance???but what chance....no one knows...passport office revisited again today: they said ..its your passport do anything with it we cant do anything because its your property....the more i probe the more i think i will lose my sanity...whats hurting is even people from one office say different things(the other day passport office said go to Ministry of Ext affairs..now this own property statement)..

Guys...anybody has written an extension letter like this (citing other reasons)..kindly post it....I need a sample to write my letter...my mind has stopped working....

FairWay

Oct 10, 2009
I do not see any issue here. If you want to be Canadian, fly to London, get visa and enjoy the rest of life. But looks like you are not ready, talking about f*****g employee, who cares?! It is your life! If your employer do not care about you, I do not see the one reason why should you take care about him?!
Invitation to get visa should be enough to get yourself to London.

Also for your record, nobody cares about references from overseas here...

Good luck,

swattoo

Star Member
Sep 30, 2009
@ Raool,
have you checked with courier agencies... They are the best ones to clarify coz this is their routine business. Just check with a few and they will themselves let you know whether they are accepting passports for courier or no.