+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR received but can't meet the deadline given by university

skyfall-0007

Aug 30, 2022
I received my PPR for Fall 2022 for a graduate program and have already submitted my passport for processing. However, I have been given a 1-week extended deadline from the university to be present in person to submit the study permit and a copy of my updated passport to the admissions office for registration. There is no any provision of online classes as well. If not able to meet the deadline, the university has asked to ask for a full refund and then re-apply for an upcoming intake(Fall 2023 - applications start October 2022 and LoA is received by the end of May 2023).

Now that I am sure to receive my updated passport in a week or two but not be able to join the university this year, what other options do I have if I want to use the same visa to travel and study for upcoming intakes(in the same or different DLI) and not re-apply for a study permit from the very beginning?

hs202

Nov 21, 2009
I received my PPR for Fall 2022 for a graduate program and have already submitted my passport for processing. However, I have been given a 1-week extended deadline from the university to be present in person to submit the study permit and a copy of my updated passport to the admissions office for registration. There is no any provision of online classes as well. If not able to meet the deadline, the university has asked to ask for a full refund and then re-apply for an upcoming intake(Fall 2023 - applications start October 2022 and LoA is received by the end of May 2023).

Now that I am sure to receive my updated passport in a week or two but not be able to join the university this year, what other options do I have if I want to use the same visa to travel and study for upcoming intakes(in the same or different DLI) and not re-apply for a study permit from the very beginning?
Don't worry. Talk to university. Their rule would not be that stringent. Talk to them email them and give the update of PPR

skyfall-0007

Aug 30, 2022
Don't worry. Talk to university. Their rule would not be that stringent. Talk to them email them and give the update of PPR
They have already provided a week long extension but it is not enough. I submitted a new request explaining my scenario and how frustrating that is for me, but they strictly denied citing reason that students who join late for classes do not perform well.

I can't even begin to explain how terrible I am feeling due to all this. I hope there is some way.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
They have already provided a week long extension but it is not enough. I submitted a new request explaining my scenario and how frustrating that is for me, but they strictly denied citing reason that students who join late for classes do not perform well.

I can't even begin to explain how terrible I am feeling due to all this. I hope there is some way.
I don't mean to sound rude but maybe this will help someone. Did you ask your university about your options if you didn't receive a decision on your SP on time? Did you review their policies regarding deferrals? Did you do all of this when you submitted your application? You need to be prepared for the worst case scenario and know the university policies and rules before paying a dime.

Talk to your university, they should be able to help you out specially now that your passport was requested. Good luck!

skyfall-0007

Aug 30, 2022
I don't mean to sound rude but maybe this will help someone. Did you ask your university about your options if you didn't receive a decision on your SP on time? Did you review their policies regarding deferrals? Did you do all of this when you submitted your application? You need to be prepared for the worst case scenario and know the university policies and rules before paying a dime.

Talk to your university, they should be able to help you out specially now that your passport was requested. Good luck!
I understand what you are trying to say but what's strange is that the university is staying rigid even after I have explained my case. I had done my research earlier before applying as every student does. Not trying to be overconfident here but I have a good academic and professional background with professional linguistic proficiency and proper documentation. I was just staying confident due to all these factors. Isn't it normal for me to assume that a university will consider such cases sincerely? I feel I failed here.

Can you suggest some options regarding how can I enter Canada and start studying there with the same visa in 2023?

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
I understand what you are trying to say but what's strange is that the university is staying rigid even after I have explained my case. I had done my research earlier before applying as every student does. Not trying to be overconfident here but I have a good academic and professional background with professional linguistic proficiency and proper documentation. I was just staying confident due to all these factors. Isn't it normal for me to assume that a university will consider such cases sincerely? I feel I failed here.

Can you suggest some options regarding how can I enter Canada and start studying there with the same visa in 2023?
Canadian universities are very rigid in all matters, not just visa issues.

How long is your program? 1 year? Your TRV & study permit will still be valid in May and you'll be able to travel on it.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021

I agree with you that the university not helping you out is odd. They should be more flexible, specially since you already received the passport request.

What you needed to prepare for was for a delay from IRCC, which is almost certain to happen. What you needed to ask your university was what would happen if the deadline to submit your SP came and you still were waiting for a decision from IRCC.

Regarding your question, I'm not sure... IRCC states that if your defer to a new intake and the starting date is 150 days or more from the original start date (which in your case it is), you only need to upload your new LOA via webform. However, I believe this only applies for applications in process, and you won't have your new LOA until next year. If your program is a 2 year program or longer, maybe you could use your Visa (which whill be valid for more than two years) and request your SP at the port of entry with your updated LOA. I would advise you to consult a lawyer maybe... good luck!

skyfall-0007

Aug 30, 2022
Canadian universities are very rigid in all matters, not just visa issues.

How long is your program? 1 year? Your TRV & study permit will still be valid in May and you'll be able to travel on it.
It's a two year long program. Below are my main concerns.
1) Is there a certain specified time frame to enter Canada after the visa has been stamped on the passport? Can I travel anytime before the expiry period?

2) I am planning to reapply to the same course and university again for next fall intake starting Oct 2022. What are the chances that the university will accept me again? Do they prefer new students rather than old students?

How about using the new LoA from same university and course for next fall intake and then travel in next August with the same visa? I know new application does not need to be filed in case of same DLI.

skyfall-0007

Aug 30, 2022
I agree with you that the university not helping you out is odd. They should be more flexible, specially since you already received the passport request.

What you needed to prepare for was for a delay from IRCC, which is almost certain to happen. What you needed to ask your university was what would happen if the deadline to submit your SP came and you still were waiting for a decision from IRCC.

Regarding your question, I'm not sure... IRCC states that if your defer to a new intake and the starting date is 150 days or more from the original start date (which in your case it is), you only need to upload your new LOA via webform. However, I believe this only applies for applications in process, and you won't have your new LOA until next year. If your program is a 2 year program or longer, maybe you could use your Visa (which whill be valid for more than two years) and request your SP at the port of entry with your updated LOA. I would advise you to consult a lawyer maybe... good luck!
This is a major risk. I might raise a webform to IRCC and update them about new LoA. However, what happens if the immigration officer at the port of entry denies this request?I have read online that many potential students are sent back from the port of entry and I am afraid I will be sent back as well in such case.

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
It's a two year long program. Below are my main concerns.
1) Is there a certain specified time frame to enter Canada after the visa has been stamped on the passport? Can I travel anytime before the expiry period?

2) I am planning to reapply to the same course and university again for next fall intake starting Oct 2022. What are the chances that the university will accept me again? Do they prefer new students rather than old students?

How about using the new LoA from same university and course for next fall intake and then travel in next August with the same visa? I know new application does not need to be filed in case of same DLI.
When it coms to validity, that 150 day period only exists if you're inside Canada. If outside, the study permit remains valid till the date that's listed on it. You don't have to seek a new permit as long as get admission into the same DLI. Just send them the new LOA via web-form once you get it.

If they've admitted you once, they'll admit you again. Just apply as soon as the admission for the next term opens. The earlier you apply the greater your chances.

skyfall-0007

Aug 30, 2022
When it coms to validity, that 150 day period only exists if you're inside Canada. If outside, the study permit remains valid till the date that's listed on it. You don't have to seek a new permit as long as get admission into the same DLI. Just send them the new LOA via web-form once you get it.

If they've admitted you once, they'll admit you again. Just apply as soon as the admission for the next term opens. The earlier you apply the greater your chances.

That's a good way. We can update IRCC via webform. Are there any chances that the immigration officer at the port of entry might deny stating that my intake is late than mentioned earlier?

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
That's a good way. We can update IRCC via webform. Are there any chances that the immigration officer at the port of entry might deny stating that my intake is late than mentioned earlier?
Why would they deny? If they ask just tell them the truth - that you got the study permit too late and the university forced you to defer. Don't worry, you're hardly in a unique situation.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021

Where did you find the information that the 150 days criteria only applies for applicants from within Canada? From the twitter replies (including the one you are showing) and the information on IRCC website, I thought it was a criteria that applied to all applicants.

Thank's!

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
Where did you find the information that the 150 days criteria only applies for applicants from within Canada? From the twitter replies (including the one you are showing) and the information on IRCC website, I thought it was a criteria that applied to all applicants.

Thank's!
There are 2 aspects to the 150 day issue:

1. If you're inside Canada and you defer then your program must start the next semester or within 150 days, whichever is earlier:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/assessing-conditions.html#deferred

2. If you're outside of Canada then you must submit the new LOA via webform if the differences between the dates on the new and old LOAs is 150 days or more. However, this doesn't affect the validity of your study permit.

Just search the forum for "study permit after deferral" or "PPR after deferral". It happens every semester to a lot of people.

Reactions: Geet7

hs202

Nov 21, 2009
I think this may not be a problem. The study permit itself just gives you permit to study for X years. It is a separate document. The stamp of visa is just your ability to enter Canada. I think you would not have any issues