+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR Process Clarification

tstr1234

Apr 3, 2019
Hi,

I'm expecting to have my PR application (FSW-O) approved in the next week or so. I'm an Australian currently resining in Australia and I'm trying to understand what the process is once this happens. Will I be required to send my passport in? Where does it get sent and can I go in person to expedite the process? How long does this take, typically?

I've found the following information (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/admissibility-making-final-decision.html):

For applicants who are living outside of Canada, send the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) and permanent resident visa (if applicable) to the applicant’s address outside of Canada.

Do not issue a permanent resident visa counterfoil to applicants whose passport was issued by a visa-exempt country identified in R190(1)(a) or (b), 190(2)(b) – (f), or R190(2.1). However, officers may request to see the applicant’s original passport in these cases

I see that everything on all the forums/trackers talks about PPR (passport request), but is it ever just a CoPR letter that is sent without having to send in the passport?

Any insight on this process would be greatly appreciated!

knight17

Star Member
Jan 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-02-2019
AOR Received.
23-02-2019
When your application is approved they will send PPR or Passport Request e-mail. Then you will have to submit it to your local VFS Global office. You will receive your paspport with CoPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence).

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi,

I'm expecting to have my PR application (FSW-O) approved in the next week or so. I'm an Australian currently resining in Australia and I'm trying to understand what the process is once this happens. Will I be required to send my passport in? Where does it get sent and can I go in person to expedite the process? How long does this take, typically?

I've found the following information (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/admissibility-making-final-decision.html):

For applicants who are living outside of Canada, send the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) and permanent resident visa (if applicable) to the applicant’s address outside of Canada.

Do not issue a permanent resident visa counterfoil to applicants whose passport was issued by a visa-exempt country identified in R190(1)(a) or (b), 190(2)(b) – (f), or R190(2.1). However, officers may request to see the applicant’s original passport in these cases

I see that everything on all the forums/trackers talks about PPR (passport request), but is it ever just a CoPR letter that is sent without having to send in the passport?

Any insight on this process would be greatly appreciated!
You are from a visa-exempt country. So your PPR email will instruct you to send a copy of your passport bio page and photos in the right format (50x70mm white background). You won't send the physical passport.

How you will have to send it will depend on the specific instructions for your country. But generally you will be instructed to either deposit it at nearest VFS or directly by mail to a specified address in the email. After they process your final approval, they will send you your Confirmation of Permanent Residence for you and any dependent included in your application.
No, you cannot go in person if that's not what's instructed.
No, the CoPR is never sent directly. Sending passports (and in your case just copy of passport) is mandatory.

All in all, not to worry, specific instructions will be given to you in the PPR email.

Reactions: knight17