+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postpone the Oath of Citizenship

mashakwan

Dec 27, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I just got a notice to take The Oath of Citizenship.

However, the scheduled date of Oath is one day before I go traveling. That's mean they will take away my PR Card. Should I submit a request to postpone The Oath of Citizenship? Does it count as a valid reason for postponing the Oath?

Thanks,
mashakwan

andrew7007

Jun 2, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Call them up tomorrow and explain your situation.

mashakwan said:
Hi Everyone,

However, the scheduled date of Oath is one day before I go traveling. That's mean they will take away my PR Card. Should I submit a request to postpone The Oath of Citizenship? Does it count as a valid reason for postponing the Oath?

Thanks,
mashakwan

Almost_Canadian

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
CIC has such a huge backlog and with other processing delays, who knows when you might be rescheduled. My advice would be to postpone your holiday trip and get this over and done with.

I applied in May 2013 and due to RQ, processing time has been very long. Finally have got a DM on my ecas update since Nov 3. The point being that after such a long wait, if I get an oath invite anytime, I will be sure to cancel everything else and attend that.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
Almost_Canadian said:
CIC has such a huge backlog and with other processing delays, who knows when you might be rescheduled. My advice would be to postpone your holiday trip and get this over and done with.

I applied in May 2013 and due to RQ, processing time has been very long. Finally have got a DM on my ecas update since Nov 3. The point being that after such a long wait, if I get an oath invite anytime, I will be sure to cancel everything else and attend that.
I tend to completely agree with you. Considering the influx of Syrian Refugees and work backlog, any postponement is not a good option.

After Oath max within 4 days, you can get the Canadian passport.

whiz

Feb 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mashakwan said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
mashakwan
It's a no brainer! Stick to your appointment. Postpone your travel plans. Set your priorities right.

mashakwan

Dec 27, 2011
The flight tickets and hotel are all booked with my husband a while ago. It would be quite troublesome and expensive if we need to cancel our travel.

I'm going to send a letter to the local office to explain my reason, and check with them after if they accept my reason. Do you think it work? If they don't accept, I will try my best to attend the Oath. Do you think it work? Anyone has experienced that before?

hkalltheway

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
I have seen this issue being brought up numerous times. My question, then, is that isn't it possible to apply for a Canadian passport at any Canadian embassy overseas, provided you hold a citizenship certificate?

NVan

Nov 10, 2015
As I was pretty sure my oath was going to be anytime during the second half of December (I haven't received the oath letter yet), I called CIC to let them know I won't be in the country for those days. The person at the phone wrote a note in my file with the dates I am not available. He told me there shouldn't be any problem.

Don't write...call them!

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
mashakwan said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
mashakwan
Very bad idea. Very bad indeed.
Just postpone your trip. Whatever the trouble this will cause you, is less trouble (and risky) than trying to postpone your Oath.

krohmal

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mashakwan said:
The flight tickets and hotel are all booked with my husband a while ago. It would be quite troublesome and expensive if we need to cancel our travel.

I'm going to send a letter to the local office to explain my reason, and check with them after if they accept my reason. Do you think it work? If they don't accept, I will try my best to attend the Oath. Do you think it work? Anyone has experienced that before?
read the first post on this branch http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/urgent-passport-after-oath-t190090.30.html It's even possible to make the passport at the same day (see page 4, message from chikloo)