+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postgraduate Workpermit Confusion: Urgent.Two separate 1 year PG certificates

dddanny2006

Mar 31, 2014
Hi friends,

I need help here.I want to know as to how many years work permit do 2 separate back to back PG certificates give?I am worried at the moment

I know that a 2 year course gives a 3 year work permit but I'm not sure about 2 different PG courses of 1 year duration each taken year after year.

For example :1year PG course(Accounting)+1year PG course(Marketing) taken back to back from a Canadian college like Centennial or Seneca

Please give your inputs from experience.Different people have told me different things,Im not sure.Some say second program has got to be a masters program to get work permit of 3 years,some say otherwise.

Thanks

Dan

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

See here http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194A.asp

Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.

No requirement that one of the programs be a Master's Degree.

dddanny2006

Mar 31, 2014
What you're saying is true.Here's my confusion:

Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.

I have colored the text above.The text in Red says a certificate,a diploma,a degree so I presume this is not a Post graduate certificate/diploma/degree

If you look at the highlighted text in Orange then clearly its mentioned graduate.

So I think the above text says the prior degree /certificate has to be of a lower level and then the next one has to be of a graduate level.My worry is that both my programs are at the Post grad levels of 1 year each in duration thus making it a total of 2 years.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you look through the threads here, you will find several people who did two PG diplomas back-to-back and received a 3 year PGWP.

xerox61

Jul 30, 2016
If you look through the threads here, you will find several people who did two PG diplomas back-to-back and received a 3 year PGWP.
Hello canuck. My case is little different here. I know 2 PG courses ( 8 months each) that are taken in August intake are counted as 2 years as they have summer break in between. But in january intake there are no breaks. So after completion of my course in august ( jan to aug) I have to take another course in Aug of 8 months making 16 months in total.. So after 16 months of continuous study do I get 3 years workpermit??

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
Hello canuck. My case is little different here. I know 2 PG courses ( 8 months each) that are taken in August intake are counted as 2 years as they have summer break in between. But in january intake there are no breaks. So after completion of my course in august ( jan to aug) I have to take another course in Aug of 8 months making 16 months in total.. So after 16 months of continuous study do I get 3 years workpermit??
Lets be honest here its never easy to start a new program just after completing a previous program eg you complete by August end and begin another by September first week.. you have a lot of work in between. Extending Visa, graduating from your previous couse etc .. and that's the reason they have introduced a 150days gap in between where you can work before the start of your new program