+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postgraduate Diploma (One semester)

Jem_hol

Jul 15, 2018
I am so confused...

WES has confirmed one of my diplomas is a 'postgraduate diploma (one semester)'

As i am filling in my express entry form I have said that under LEVEL OF EDUCATION it is a one year diploma, as this is what it is in my country and then under what WES have said it is in Canada i have said it is a secondary diploma (high school graduation).

Is this correct?

Reactions: Canadian1867

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
I am so confused...

As i am filling in my express entry form I have said that under LEVEL OF EDUCATION it is a one year diploma, as this is what it is in my country and then under what WES have said it is in Canada i have said it is a secondary diploma (high school graduation).

Is this correct?
No not correct! You cannot use it to claim education points because WES evaluated it as incomplete (One semester) program. Your education points are completely based on ECA report. Even though actually in your country it is a completed 1 year program but as per the ECA report it is not a completed Canadian equivalent program! read below-

Your report must show that your foreign credential is valid and equal to a completed Canadian secondary school (high school) or post-secondary credential. If it does, you must include the result and reference number in your Express Entry profile.

If your report shows that your credential isn’t equal to a completed Canadian credential or the foreign educational institution is not recognized:
  • you won’t meet the education requirement under the Federal Skilled Workers Program
  • you won’t get any points for it
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed/read-report.html

You also can check the comparison table given in the above link.

Sorry to let you know this! Good Luck!

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
What was your other diploma? If that program was equivalent to Canadian 3 or more years then I think you claim it as two or more degree, diploma.

Important notice: One must be for a program of three or more years.
ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:
  • Post-Bachelor's Certificate
  • Post-undergraduate certificate
  • Post-Bachelor's Diploma
  • Post-undergraduate diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Postgraduate certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma
  • Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Graduate diploma
  • two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
  • Dual Bachelor’s degree (four years)

Reactions: Canadian1867

Jem_hol

Jul 15, 2018
What was your other diploma? If that program was equivalent to Canadian 3 or more years then I think you claim it as two or more degree, diploma.

Important notice: One must be for a program of three or more years.
ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:
  • Post-Bachelor's Certificate
  • Post-undergraduate certificate
  • Post-Bachelor's Diploma
  • Post-undergraduate diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Postgraduate certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma
  • Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Graduate diploma
  • two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
  • Dual Bachelor’s degree (four years)
I have a degree (4 years), a postgraduate diploma (one semester) and completion of a college-level certificate (one semester). From what I am understanding I can only enter my degree?

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
I have a degree (4 years), a postgraduate diploma (one semester) and completion of a college-level certificate (one semester). From what I am understanding I can only enter my degree?
You qualify for two or more degree, diploma or certificate.

It says clearly "A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree PLUS any of the results in the sections below"

When you enter your credentials exactly as mentioned in the ECA the system accepts you as a candidate with two or more degree,diploma or certificate.

Good luck!!

Jem_hol

Jul 15, 2018

It says clearly "A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree PLUS any of the results in the sections below"

When you enter your credentials exactly as mentioned in the ECA the system accepts you as a candidate with two or more degree,diploma or certificate.

Good luck!!
Thank you!! This is great news! But i am now back to confusion as to what I enter it as in the express entry form. So one is obviously a degree, then what do i enter the other two as? As the only option for diploma is 1 year.... and they haven't been classified as 1 year? (back to my original question... )

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Thank you!! This is great news! But i am now back to confusion as to what I enter it as in the express entry form. So one is obviously a degree, then what do i enter the other two as? As the only option for diploma is 1 year.... and they haven't been classified as 1 year? (back to my original question... )
Check this. Believe this is what you were looking
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-i-select-two-or-more-certificates-with-wes-evaluation-as-college-level-cert.392225/

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017

Good luck!!
@SithLord Please refrain from giving wrong information. How can @Jem_hol enter his diploma credentials in the EE system where his ECA says they are only "One Semester" Canadian equivalent credential?

EE systems has Level of Education as follows-
Seceondary
One year program
Two Year Program
Bachelor's OR three or more year program
Masters
PHD

You need to answer a question like this- "what is the level of education according to your ECA report?" Can you tell me how it justifies to select "One year program" where your ECA says it is only equivalent to "One Semester"?

Besides I have posted a comment citing IRCC web page in this thread yesterday that- your credential must be assessed as COMPLETED Canadian credential, Can you let me know how on earth one can claim he has completed a credential just after a semester of study? There is no such things selecting "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees" in Express Entry education history section. It is only asked when you fill out "Come to Canada" questionnaire for your fsw eligibility check when you start creating your profile.

I know it is very frustrating and you want a solution, Your solution is to try ICES or IQAS evaluation which may give you One year duration equivalency. Now decision is yours about your EE profile, you are free to select whatever Level of Education you want to select.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
@SithLord Please refrain from giving wrong information. How can @Jem_hol enter his diploma credentials in the EE system where his ECA says they are only "One Semester" Canadian equivalent credential?

EE systems has Level of Education as follows-
Seceondary
One year program
Two Year Program
Bachelor's OR three or more year program
Masters
PHD

You need to answer a question like this- "what is the level of education according to your ECA report?" Can you tell me how it justifies to select "One year program" where your ECA says it is only equivalent to "One Semester"?

Besides I have posted a comment citing IRCC web page in this thread yesterday that- your credential must be assessed as COMPLETED Canadian credential, Can you let me know how on earth one can claim he has completed a credential just after a semester of study? There is no such things selecting "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees" in Express Entry education history section. It is only asked when you fill out "Come to Canada" questionnaire for your fsw eligibility check when you start creating your profile.

I know it is very frustrating and you want a solution, Your solution is to try ICES or IQAS evaluation which may give you One year duration equivalency. Now decision is yours about your EE profile, you are free to select whatever Level of Education you want to select.
As long as it says 'completed' it qualifies as a two or more. The duration doesn't matter.

I get the information from here.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-i-select-two-or-more-certificates-with-wes-evaluation-as-college-level-cert.392225/

It seems CIC has approved one semester qualification as two or more :)

Reactions: mkdirjavac

Jem_hol

Jul 15, 2018
It is all very confusing! Mine does say completed. It is the one semester that I am worried about, but it does seem from reading that thread
As long as it says 'completed' it qualifies as a two or more. The duration doesn't matter.

It seems people have! Although there is still a lot of confusion over this and what to put down and if its going to be accepted.... appreciate all the help!

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017

First of all, the thread you are referring was started on January 2016. IRCC has removed the option of selecting "two or more" for the second credential in 2017, it was removed to clear the confusion. Those applicants have selected "Two or more" as the level of education for their diplomas where you need to select the level of education, I have mentioned in my previous post.

Secondly, the person started the thread was a PNP applicant, His crs score was near or above 1000. During assessment a Case officer will manually calculate your CRS score and see whether or not you meet the cut off at the time of submission of eAPR. Even if his diploma credential was excluded by Case officer still he would have met the Cut Off score. So it is not surprising neither it confirms he was awarded the "two or more" degree points during assessment.
Another applicant was CEC inland who gets extra 50 points for Canadian experience. He also may have made the cutoff easily. Non other poster claimed they got PPR based on "One Semester".

Finally, repeatedly answering you and trying to clear you confusion is giving me Headache. So do what you think best for you, I am done answering your post. Good Luck!

Jem_hol

Jul 15, 2018
Unfortunately no where in this thread it states what to put :(

Is it:

Secondary diploma (high school graduation)

Or

One year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

I would go with the second option but i am unsure as they have said its one semester?

Jem_hol

Jul 15, 2018
First of all, the thread you are referring was started on January 2016. IRCC has removed the option of selecting "two or more" for the second credential in 2017, it was removed to clear the confusion. Those applicants have selected "Two or more" as the level of education for their diplomas where you need to select the level of education, I have mentioned in my previous post.

Secondly, the person started the thread was a PNP applicant, His crs score was near or above 1000. During assessment a Case officer will manually calculate your CRS score and see whether or not you meet the cut off at the time of submission of eAPR. Even if his diploma credential was excluded by Case officer still he would have met the Cut Off score. So it is not surprising neither it confirms he was awarded the "two or more" degree points during assessment.
Another applicant was CEC inland who gets extra 50 points for Canadian experience. He also would have made the cutoff easily. Non other poster claimed they got PPR based on "One Semester".

Finally, repeatedly answering you and trying to clear you confusion is giving me Headache. So do what you think best for you, I am done answering your post. Good Luck!
This makes sense... as it isnt clear what you would put down for one semester. They don't give you an option other than 'one year'.

Reactions: ishq74

sagar0321

Apr 18, 2018
I am so confused...

Is this correct?
Originaly your diploma program had just one semester of exam or two semesters ?
I too have enrolled in a post graduate diploma program where i will be giving just an annual exam at the end of one year. I am afraid if it wil come out to be one semester equivalency.