XX-09-2014
Passport Req..
XX-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
XX-12-2014
LANDED..........
XX-12-2014
Hi everyone,

I am a postdoc in chemistry. I have submitted my application with NOC 4011 in Feb. 2014 and get AOR in Mar. I wished I have known this forum at that time then I would never submit my CEC with 4011 :(

At that time:
1. I only submitted an employment letter from HR stating that I am an employed postdoc, while no detailed duty mentioned in that letter.
2. I also submitted a copy of my inviting letter(job offer) stating that I am engaged in some scientific research project, but not stating any educational duties :(

Currently I have read some posts in canadavisa.com and found my application was really risky. I guess I have two choice:

1. Submit a reference letter from my supervisor as supplementary materials, stating my job details. However, since my main duty is research, my supervisor can state only a few of 'assisting' educational duties such as:
---------------------------------------------
I. provide assistance to students in scientific research.
II. conduct part of the seminars and academic discussions of students.
III. assist the maintenances of the instrument in the lab, and inform students the operation procedure.
Anyone knows these would be OK for 4011?

2. Withdrawn my application and resubmit it using NOC 2112, chemist. But my current work permit stating that I am a post-doctoral fellow. Will a cover letter solve this problem?

Personally I prefer the first choice since I have to wait more months and could not get refund if I withdrawn my application. Would anyone give some suggestion? Thanks a lot.

Mehdi_svm

Jul 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sebaoyu said:
Hi everyone,

I am a postdoc in chemistry. I have submitted my application with NOC 4011 in Feb. 2014 and get AOR in Mar. I wished I have known this forum at that time then I would never submit my CEC with 4011 :(

At that time:
1. I only submitted an employment letter from HR stating that I am an employed postdoc, while no detailed duty mentioned in that letter.
2. I also submitted a copy of my inviting letter(job offer) stating that I am engaged in some scientific research project, but not stating any educational duties :(

Currently I have read some posts in canadavisa.com and found my application was really risky. I guess I have two choice:

1. Submit a reference letter from my supervisor as supplementary materials, stating my job details. However, since my main duty is research, my supervisor can state only a few of 'assisting' educational duties such as:
III. assist the maintenances of the instrument in the lab, and inform students the operation procedure.

2. Withdrawn my application and resubmit it using NOC 2112, chemist. But my current work permit stating that I am a post-doctoral fellow. Will a cover letter solve this problem?

Personally I prefer the first choice since I have to wait more months and could not get refund if I withdrawn my application. Would anyone give some suggestion? Thanks a lot.
Hi,

Don't worry at all. I have applied under 4011 as post-doc and my application has been approved. I didn't have any teaching experience because my job duties were only research. I provided a letter from my supervisor and she indicated the same duties as you mentioned in your first option and also help in supervising undergrad students. My personal suggestion is not to indicate the "assist the maintenances" as it sounds like a technician duty.
CIC asked me for my CV and supervisor contact but they never contacted her. :|

So, I believe your first option is more rational.

sebaoyu

May 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
4XXX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
XX-02-2014
AOR Received.
XX-03-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
XX-09-2014
Med's Done....
XX-09-2014
Passport Req..
XX-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
XX-12-2014
LANDED..........
XX-12-2014
Thanks a lot Mehdi. Your suggestion is really helpful~

Mehdi_svm said:
Hi,

Don't worry at all. I have applied under 4011 as post-doc and my application has been approved. I didn't have any teaching experience because my job duties were only research. I provided a letter from my supervisor and she indicated the same duties as you mentioned in your first option and also help in supervising undergrad students. My personal suggestion is not to indicate the "assist the maintenances" as it sounds like a technician duty.
CIC asked me for my CV and supervisor contact but they never contacted her. :|

So, I believe your first option is more rational.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
sebaoyu said:
Hi everyone,

At that time:

I know several postdocs who applied with "generic letter" as yours. Some of them were accepted, others were refused. I guess it mostly depends on VO who review the application. Check your offer letter if it doesn't say that you are not employee of the university. I know one postdoc who was refused because of offer letter.

sebaoyu

May 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
4XXX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
XX-02-2014
AOR Received.
XX-03-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
XX-09-2014
Med's Done....
XX-09-2014
Passport Req..
XX-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
XX-12-2014
LANDED..........
XX-12-2014
Thank you pfse. My 'generic letter' from HR stated 'verify the employment with university' and 'I commenced employment with the university', will this work?

I do not see any word as 'employment' or 'employ' in my job offer, while the word as 'appointment' and 'obligation' were used. :(

pfse said:
I know several postdocs who applied with "generic letter" as yours. Some of them were accepted, others were refused. I guess it mostly depends on VO who review the application. Check your offer letter if it doesn't say that you are not employee of the university. I know one postdoc who was refused because of offer letter.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
sebaoyu said:
Thank you pfse. My 'generic letter' from HR stated 'verify the employment with university' and 'I commenced employment with the university', will this work?

I do not see any word as 'employment' or 'employ' in my job offer, while the word as 'appointment' and 'obligation' were used. :(
Should be OK then. My friend's offer letter clearly stated than he is not employee of the university and therefore he has been refused (VO didn't find evidence for employer-employee relationsheep).

lucky_CA

Star Member
Jan 13, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2013
Doc's Request.
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
IELTS Request
Send with application
File Transfer...
09-07-2013
Med's Request
29-01-2014
Med's Done....
12-2-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-02-2014 (Ottawa) , 07-03-2014 (local visa office)
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2014
sebaoyu said:
Hi everyone,

At that time:

I also applied under NOC 4011 while working as a Visiting Scholar (similar to Post Doc) and did mostly research. Your HR letter and job offer letter seems perfectly OK. I would suggest to send a letter from your supervisor stating your duties and all other information required by CIC, and mention to CIC that you forgot to add this letter with your initial submission. Make sure you have some supervisory/administrative duties in addition to your research duties. For example you could include following duties in your letter from supervisor:

1. Conducting research in the area of "......" for possible publication in scholarly journal.

-then specify some specific research duties in your specialized area

2. Presenting research outcome in international conferences
3. Coordinating research group meetings and presentations to external companies
4. Advising/co-supervising undergraduate (mention name if you help any) and graduate students (mention name if you help any) thesis research projects.
5. Conducting lecture sessions on safe operation of laboratory according to University requirement.
5. Conducting lecture/training session on various laboratory instruments, such as (mention some of characterization equipment that you have expertise) to new undergraduate and graduate student in the laboratory.
6. Calibrating, upgrading, and maintenance of various laboratory instrument ( mention some of your specialized instruments here).

Do not forgot to send them your T4s, NOA, and payslips.

Hope this help.

sebaoyu

May 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
4XXX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
XX-02-2014
AOR Received.
XX-03-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
XX-09-2014
Med's Done....
XX-09-2014
Passport Req..
XX-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
XX-12-2014
LANDED..........
XX-12-2014
Thanks for your detailed suggestion~ I will take them to perfect my reference letter from my supervisor~

lucky_CA said:
I also applied under NOC 4011 while working as a Visiting Scholar (similar to Post Doc) and did mostly research. Your HR letter and job offer letter seems perfectly OK. I would suggest to send a letter from your supervisor stating your duties and all other information required by CIC, and mention to CIC that you forgot to add this letter with your initial submission. Make sure you have some supervisory/administrative duties in addition to your research duties. For example you could include following duties in your letter from supervisor:

1. Conducting research in the area of "......" for possible publication in scholarly journal.

4. Advising/co-supervising undergraduate (mention name if you help any) and graduate students (mention name if you help any) thesis research projects.
5. Conducting lecture sessions on safe operation of laboratory according to University requirement.
5. Conducting lecture/training session on various laboratory instruments, such as (mention some of characterization equipment that you have expertise) to new undergraduate and graduate student in the laboratory.
6. Calibrating, upgrading, and maintenance of various laboratory instrument ( mention some of your specialized instruments here).

Hope this help.

vs_phd

Aug 25, 2014
lucky_CA said:

Hope this help.

Hi Lucky_CA

I noticed that you used your "visiting scholar" experience. I am planning to apply and my case is similar to yours with the only difference that I was working as a visiting scholar with a closed work permit. My duties were mainly research and not teaching.

I agree with you in the fact that you chose the NOC 4011 because the "visiting scholar" title is explicitly there. However, in my case my work permit says that my occupation is Post-secondary teaching, which is NOC 4012. What do you recommend me to do ?. Have you read in the forum about a similar case ?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

lhyyym

Aug 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was also a postdoc fellow and submitted my CEC application on January 31st, 2014.

I found an item "Postdoctoral fellows moved to new code 4011" in NOC2011 file. Thus, I guess we can only choose 4011 as our code. Furthermore, the duty "Conduct research in field of specialization and publish findings in scholarly journals or books" should exactly match ours.

Actually, if CIC does not believe code 4011 matches us, why do they let postdoc fellow move to 4011 in the government file?

Unfortunately, I have not received my MR or any requests from CIC till now. Actually, I believe my application is delayed by two weeks till now compared to others. I do not know whether postdoc fellow is a real job and qualifies CEC or not. ???

sebaoyu

May 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
4XXX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
XX-02-2014
AOR Received.
XX-03-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
XX-09-2014
Med's Done....
XX-09-2014
Passport Req..
XX-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
XX-12-2014
LANDED..........
XX-12-2014
No worries. Recently CIC are always very slow.. Take your time~

lhyyym said:
I was also a postdoc fellow and submitted my CEC application on January 31st, 2014.

I found an item "Postdoctoral fellows moved to new code 4011" in NOC2011 file. Thus, I guess we can only choose 4011 as our code. Furthermore, the duty "Conduct research in field of specialization and publish findings in scholarly journals or books" should exactly match ours.

Actually, if CIC does not believe code 4011 matches us, why do they let postdoc fellow move to 4011 in the government file?

Unfortunately, I have not received my MR or any requests from CIC till now. Actually, I believe my application is delayed by two weeks till now compared to others. I do not know whether postdoc fellow is a real job and qualifies CEC or not. ???

lhyyym

Aug 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sebaoyu said:
No worries. Recently CIC are always very slow.. Take your time~
Thank you, friend. I guess you are also a postdoc and from China. Since you already got your MR, I think I have a great chance to get my MR sooner or later. Good luck!

sebaoyu

May 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
4XXX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
XX-02-2014
AOR Received.
XX-03-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
XX-09-2014
Med's Done....
XX-09-2014
Passport Req..
XX-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
XX-12-2014
LANDED..........
XX-12-2014
You should notice that in the NOC classification of 4011, it states:

"University professors and lecturers perform some or all of the following duties"

Notice that it is 'some or all of the following duties' instead of 'one of the following duties'.

Actually, as a postdoc, you are always do more than simply science research. For instance, attending meetings, helping grad&undergrad students, conducting and giving talks in group meetings, maintaining some lab equipments, assisting industry about scientific researches, etc..

I submitted a supplementary job letter from my supervisor, which states the above duties of mine. It may be workable that your supervisor could provide you a job letter stating all your duties, and submit it as a supplementary documents. For the content of the job letter, the reply of lucky_CA's in my post will also help.

lhyyym said:

lhyyym

Aug 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sebaoyu said:
You should notice that in the NOC classification of 4011, it states:

"University professors and lecturers perform some or all of the following duties"

Notice that it is 'some or all of the following duties' instead of 'one of the following duties'.

Actually, as a postdoc, you are always do more than simply science research. For instance, attending meetings, helping grad&undergrad students, conducting and giving talks in group meetings, maintaining some lab equipments, assisting industry about scientific researches, etc..

I submitted a supplementary job letter from my supervisor, which states the above duties of mine. It may be workable that your supervisor could provide you a job letter stating all your duties, and submit it as a supplementary documents. For the content of the job letter, the reply of lucky_CA's in my post will also help.
Did CIC request the supplementary job letter from you? Or you submitted the letter by yourself after sending your documents?

Do you think my delayed MR is because my employment letter is not in detail? Is it a right time for me to submit a supplementary job letter without getting request form CIC?

sebaoyu

May 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
4XXX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
XX-02-2014
AOR Received.
XX-03-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
XX-09-2014
Med's Done....
XX-09-2014
Passport Req..
XX-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
XX-12-2014
LANDED..........
XX-12-2014
I submitted the letter by myself.. I am not quite sure about your other questions..

lhyyym said:
Did CIC request the supplementary job letter from you? Or you submitted the letter by yourself after sending your documents?

Do you think my delayed MR is because my employment letter is not in detail? Is it a right time for me to submit a supplementary job letter without getting request form CIC?