+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post secondary diploma after graduation

Har94

Mar 15, 2018
I'd done b.tech in electrical engineering in 2016. Now i am looking forward to study overseas(Canada). I searched for PG diploma for electrical but i end up finding nothing exact related to electrical field and i don't have any interest in electronics courses. So now i am looking for post secondary diploma. I found they are pretty relevant to my respective field. As there are number of diploma's and one in which i am interested is electrical engineering technican but i found one with electrical engneering technican. As i am little worried about my visa should i apply to post secondary diploma course? as i'd heard it might create a problem in my visa, apart from it i had seen many cases of 2017 intake of many students who got visa in undergaduate diploma even after finishing their b.tech in india.
Hope for best answers.

attitudefever

Star Member
Mar 29, 2009
I'd done b.tech in electrical engineering in 2016. Now i am looking forward to study overseas(Canada). I searched for PG diploma for electrical but i end up finding nothing exact related to electrical field and i don't have any interest in electronics courses. So now i am looking for post secondary diploma. I found they are pretty relevant to my respective field. As there are number of diploma's and one in which i am interested is electrical engineering technican but i found one with electrical engneering technican. As i am little worried about my visa should i apply to post secondary diploma course? as i'd heard it might create a problem in my visa, apart from it i had seen many cases of 2017 intake of many students who got visa in undergaduate diploma even after finishing their b.tech in india.
Hope for best answers.
Go for masters if you have bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or related field of study.
The visa process will be easier, you can get various funding in your TA-ship to cover your fees and expense.
Life after Masters is very easier in Canada, you will get high paid job, Permanent Resident process is very easier after Master especially if you choose Ontario as your residing city.
If you have done bachelors in Electrical Engineering I would suggest choose maters with Computer Science or Software options with Coop(paid intership) option, trust me you will remember my this advice on your good days.

If for some reason you are still looking to go for diploma rather than masters ignoring all these good reasons, choose diploma which has computer science/computer engineering/software courses.
Both computer engineers/computer science graduate and electrical engineers get the same kind of jobs in Canada because they are very well related fields of each other.

If you choose electrical engineering technician/technology diploma, make sure your courses include PLC at least. Although jobs after engineering technician/technology diploma are not very easy as may get drafting jobs unless you are super talented and can lead engineering team with your super capabilities.

Regards,
Hamid

Har94

Mar 15, 2018
Thanks for advice.
I have less than 70 percent marks in my B.E. so I think I am not eligible for masters in Canada.
1.Do you think I will get visa easily if I apply for post secondary course.
If so
I am confused between
Heating and refrigeration technician(HVAC) or
Electrical technician or
Robotics and industrial automation.

attitudefever

Star Member
Mar 29, 2009
Thanks for advice.
I have less than 70 percent marks in my B.E. so I think I am not eligible for masters in Canada.
1.Do you think I will get visa easily if I apply for post secondary course.
If so
I am confused between
Electrical technician or
Please don't hold yourself back with percentages, search different universities, not just one. Different state universities have different requirements.
I am not any visa expert, I don't know what your visa process will take it to get you a visa. But when I saw your post I wanted to advise you of a course which is better for you in the future and not just visa process.
It looks like you have already made your mind to pursue diploma studies and all of these mentioned are diploma courses:
Electrical technician or

From my understanding, HAVC technician is totally different than an Electrical technician and

In HVAC technician your job would not be office job it will be more service type of job where you have to do lots of physical work, its good money but its lots of hard work, it may be good for you if your a person who likes to work with physical requirements and have interests in understanding of fridge/refrigeration/heating/cooling/units.

The electrical technician/technology is a very vast field, you may end up working physically on wiring DC/AC units could be household units/construction/industrial units or you may end up working in an office for drafting and designing units wiring on AutoCAD or PLC troubleshooting. BUT you will always work with the main lead engineer. You will never become a lead! keep that in mind.

For Robotics and industrial automation again, you will work under the supervision of the main Engineer, you may have to work on drafting AutoCAD drawings in an office environment or you have to solder small electronics parts on PCB board in a robotic chip Cricut environment. If you are lucky you may also get a chnace to work on robot programming maybe Python/Java/C++ but its usually the lead Robotics Engineer who does that you maybe just do trouble shooting for him/her.
You may also end up in an industrial physical working environment where you may also do physical wiring or process control tasks on industrial units.

Hope these clear some of your thoughts.

Last edited:

rohanvus

Star Member
Feb 8, 2018
Life after Masters is very easier in Canada, you will get high paid job, Permanent Resident process is very easier after Master especially if you choose Ontario as your residing city.
Hamid
Are you referring to 'OINP-Masters Stream' ?
I was interested in same but worried that this stream is so competitive that one does not even get a chance to submit the application as the window closes asap (within few hours) and does not re-open for long time .... Your thoughts ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can try for a masters course but the competition is pretty high because there are more international students. You also have to do well in the course. If you struggled in your bachelors or didn't like the coursework one of the diplomas might be best for you.

There is a shortage of many trades like HVAC technicians and it will only get worse. I would look at courses where it will be easy to find a decent job and there is a shortage of workers not a surplus. Just because you don't work primarily in an office doesn't mean you won't make a good living. An elevator technician makes over 100k in Canada just as an example.