+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post PR Girlfriend

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Hi,

I have PR. I've met a girl in the UK. IF we decided to emigrate to Canada together, will she need to go through the full PR process too?

Let's assume she is my wife. What then? Does she just have to apply as I did but will get points for being married to me?

Many thanks
Robert

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I have PR. I've met a girl in the UK. IF we decided to emigrate to Canada together, will she need to go through the full PR process too?

Let's assume she is my wife. What then? Does she just have to apply as I did but will get points for being married to me?

Many thanks
Robert
Easiest option would be for you to sponsor her for PR as your spouse once you are married.

Reactions: Berty3000

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Thanks for your responses guys, much appreciated.

So will sponsoring her make it easier for her to get PR status? Will she still have to go through the entire process I did to get PR? Language tests, criminal record check, health checks, etc? Does it just mean she gets extra points? Also, can the sponsorship process occur whilst we are in the UK, or do I need to be in Canada?

Also, do we have to be married for sponsorship to work?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

So will sponsoring her make it easier for her to get PR status? Will she still have to go through the entire process I did to get PR? Language tests, criminal record check, health checks, etc? Does it just mean she gets extra points? Also, can the sponsorship process occur whilst we are in the UK, or do I need to be in Canada?

I suggest you read the IRCC website on spousal sponsorships.

She don't need to take language test to apply PR.

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
I suggest you read the IRCC website on spousal sponsorships.

She don't need to take language test to apply PR.
I have, but find it hard to get the information I need and some of it is confusing. It's easier to ask experts on here.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You are asking some very basic questions that are easily answered on the IRCC website.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Thanks for this, canuck. Very helpful.

I am unsure what the best option is if we are married, I am in Canada, and she is in Canada with me on a tourist visa. (we are both UK citizens). She is 32 years old so as far as I know she could only be in Canada for the usual 90 days and then have to leave again.

Also, in reality, how long will we be waiting for the outcome?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013

It will make it easier.

No language test.

But yes to criminal record check and health check. There is no point system per se. She just needs to pass certain checks and they must deem your relationship valid. Since you are a PR, you must be in Canada during the sponsorship process.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You also must be compliant with your RO to sponsor her and you must prove you can support her without government help. A UK citizen can apply for an ETA and are usually granted a 6 month visitor stay when they arrive in Canada as long as they can prove that they have the funds to support themselves without working. You could then apply for inland sponsorship if you are already married or get married in Canada.