+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Marriage - Name Change - Affidavit

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hi Experts,

My wife's degree marksheets have her maiden name however the WES evaluation is in her post marriage name, basically adding my surname/ lastname as her last name.

After our marriage we got the Govt. Marriage Certificate issued and they directly wrote her new name (with my surname). Using that marriage certificate all other govt documents were also renewed/ issued with the new name, no questions asked. So we never had a need to get an affidavit for legal name change after marriage done.

Now on the PR application I did mention that wife had a different name in the past, for which they are asking me to produce the affidavit.

My question is - if I give CIC the scans of college degrees and marksheets (bearing the maiden name) and then Marriage certificate/ WES evaluation/ Passport/ PCC etc all of it in the new name do you think it will suffice?
Should I MUST get an affidavit ? Does it have to be from my home country? Can I get it issued in Toronto?

Thanks,

tuffy

Feb 26, 2021
I also have same
Hi Experts,

My wife's degree marksheets have her maiden name however the WES evaluation is in her post marriage name, basically adding my surname/ lastname as her last name.

After our marriage we got the Govt. Marriage Certificate issued and they directly wrote her new name (with my surname). Using that marriage certificate all other govt documents were also renewed/ issued with the new name, no questions asked. So we never had a need to get an affidavit for legal name change after marriage done.

Now on the PR application I did mention that wife had a different name in the past, for which they are asking me to produce the affidavit.

My question is - if I give CIC the scans of college degrees and marksheets (bearing the maiden name) and then Marriage certificate/ WES evaluation/ Passport/ PCC etc all of it in the new name do you think it will suffice?
Should I MUST get an affidavit ? Does it have to be from my home country? Can I get it issued in Toronto?

Thanks,
I also have same question, Can anyone please answer?