+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post ITA: "Has this person ever used any other name?"

naphray

Feb 12, 2018
I'm completing my application post ITA and need inputs on what to answer for the question "Has this person ever used a different name?"

Situation: All throughout my academic life I used only my first name (last name was always left blank). Hence my Bachelors and Masters degree have just my first name. Only when I started working professionally in 2006 that I stopped doing it since it was too much hassle. I got my first passport amended 10 years back (details were added on a page that this person's last name has been updated to include last name); since then all my docs: Latest Passport, Employment letter, Drivers license, Marriage certificate, Visa etc etc have had my name in full.

ECA report done by WES prior to submission of EE profile shows only my first name against the field "Name on Credential" since they wrote what they saw on Grad and Post Grad certificates. They were able to authenticate my identity with the help of father's name on degree certificates and copy of my old passport that has info stated clearly that "Last Name" was added

Question:
Option 1: Should I answer "Yes" to the above question? (even though I've used the same first name throughout) and select 'Other' for 'Type of Name' since existing dropdown options like Birth/Nickname/Former Name/Son or Daughter of' do not apply in my case. Explain the situation of why I chose "Yes" as part of LoE.

Option 2: Select "No" to the above question. Upload my old passport copy that has the last name addition details (in addition to the latest passport). Explain this as part of Letter of Explanation.

Any other options that I'm not aware of are also welcome.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
I'm completing my application post ITA and need inputs on what to answer for the question "Has this person ever used a different name?"

Situation: All throughout my academic life I used only my first name (last name was always left blank). Hence my Bachelors and Masters degree have just my first name. Only when I started working professionally in 2006 that I stopped doing it since it was too much hassle. I got my first passport amended 10 years back (details were added on a page that this person's last name has been updated to include last name); since then all my docs: Latest Passport, Employment letter, Drivers license, Marriage certificate, Visa etc etc have had my name in full.

ECA report done by WES prior to submission of EE profile shows only my first name against the field "Name on Credential" since they wrote what they saw on Grad and Post Grad certificates. They were able to authenticate my identity with the help of father's name on degree certificates and copy of my old passport that has info stated clearly that "Last Name" was added

Question:
Option 1: Should I answer "Yes" to the above question? (even though I've used the same first name throughout) and select 'Other' for 'Type of Name' since existing dropdown options like Birth/Nickname/Former Name/Son or Daughter of' do not apply in my case. Explain the situation of why I chose "Yes" as part of LoE.

Option 2: Select "No" to the above question. Upload my old passport copy that has the last name addition details (in addition to the latest passport). Explain this as part of Letter of Explanation.

Since the options listed in the dropdown does not apply to you, you can answer No to it. However, use the LOE to explain, just like how you did above.

rohitpahwa

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018

Question:

Hi , Did you get this fixed? i have the same problem.

Please let me know how you handle it.

naphray

Feb 12, 2018
I went with second option and included detailed explanation in LoE. Plus I included my old passport copy as well.

pedro2121

Star Member
Dec 19, 2017
Hello guys,

I have the same problem. What should I mention on the IRCC form for the question "have you ever used any other name"? My family name had a suffix, but when I was a child we had it removed. So, all my documents (include of degrees, ID card, passport) are as per the new name except my birth certificate. In fact, in my birth certificate it is mentioned that there was a suffix which is removed. What should I do now?

Abhishek1710

Jan 27, 2020
Guys I have the same question. Can someone please update on this thread? As per passport my initials are expanded. But in all the other documents it is shortened. Should I select yes or no for this question?

mshalini09

Sep 2, 2020
Guys I have the same question. Can someone please update on this thread? As per passport my initials are expanded. But in all the other documents it is shortened. Should I select yes or no for this question?
Do we have an answer for this? What should be done?