+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit to Open Work Permit

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
@Naturgrl and @scylla In my express entrey profile my canadian qualification is showing 0 and i cant seem to understand why.

Also i had a question - i started working full time with a company and then shifted to part time with one weekend shift. how do i put this as work experience on my application? do i put full time and part -time separate ? or should i count the total hours and divide them by the no of weeks?

Also since im still employed by them does this count as having a job offer (it was made as full time), cuz it is not on an official letterhead but by email.
If you are on a LMIA or LMIA exemption (with one year of experience), you can count the job offer. If on PGWP or open work permit, you say No.

How much Canadian work experience in a skilled NOC do you have? Post the dates and hours.

Reactions: iona_s22

iona_s22

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
If you are on a LMIA or LMIA exemption (with one year of experience), you can count the job offer. If on PGWP or open work permit, you say No.

How much Canadian work experience in a skilled NOC do you have? Post the dates and hours.
thank you. however i am still unclear as to how to post a full time job with full hours that is now a part-time job - do i do two entries for this even though the job offer is one?

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Reactions: sSSspidermanNNn

rxtve

Star Member
May 20, 2022
@Naturgrl @scylla I have some urgent queries related to my PGWP expiring.

Currently working outside of Canada, I had 5 months work experience on my PGWP in Canada. Now, my permit is expiring in October 2025.

1. What are my options of finding a job and working in Canada to be eligible for my PR? What is the latest I can find a job so send in an application without having to leave Canada?

2. The company I work at right now may be registered in Canada but I have been working from outside so I have not been hired as a Canadian employee. If I went to canada and started working out of there, i.e. if I was hired as a Canadian PGWP employee, would that experience begin to count?

3. Are there any specific requirements for employers to be considered valid when applying for PR through CEC? For e.g., should their annual revenue be over a certain amount (if it is a small company) or should they be paying a minimum wage to qualify?

4. I am trying to find a job in Canada and go back quickly so that I can gain enough work experience in time to apply for my PR before October 2025. Do you have any tips or guidance as I am very stressed that I won't get enough experience in time. I do have 1 year foreign work experience if that counts. My CRS score if I complete hours will still be on the lower end (around 524).

Thank you so much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@Naturgrl @scylla I have some urgent queries related to my PGWP expiring.

Currently working outside of Canada, I had 5 months work experience on my PGWP in Canada. Now, my permit is expiring in October 2025.

1. What are my options of finding a job and working in Canada to be eligible for my PR? What is the latest I can find a job so send in an application without having to leave Canada?

2. The company I work at right now may be registered in Canada but I have been working from outside so I have not been hired as a Canadian employee. If I went to canada and started working out of there, i.e. if I was hired as a Canadian PGWP employee, would that experience begin to count?

3. Are there any specific requirements for employers to be considered valid when applying for PR through CEC? For e.g., should their annual revenue be over a certain amount (if it is a small company) or should they be paying a minimum wage to qualify?

4. I am trying to find a job in Canada and go back quickly so that I can gain enough work experience in time to apply for my PR before October 2025. Do you have any tips or guidance as I am very stressed that I won't get enough experience in time. I do have 1 year foreign work experience if that counts. My CRS score if I complete hours will still be on the lower end (around 524).

Thank you so much.
1. You will need to research your options for being eligible for PR. There are many different programs, each with their own requirements. If you don't want to leave Canada and want to keep working, the application would need to reach IRCC before your PGWP expires. This would mean having a job offer and also an approved LMIA from your employer.
2. Work outside of Canada cannot be counted as Canadian work experience, even if your employer is Canadian. Once you return to Canada, you can start counting it as Canadian work experience.
3. No specific requirements for employers in Canada.
4. Learn French and take the language test if you haven't done so already. Return to Canada as soon as possible since you cannot count work experience gained outside of Canada as Canadian work experience. The fact you are working outside of Canada is not helping you and is something you can easily control. When calculating your points, make sure you are not claiming the 50 points for having a job offer unless you have an approved LMIA.

rxtve

Star Member
May 20, 2022
1. You will need to research your options for being eligible for PR. There are many different programs, each with their own requirements. If you don't want to leave Canada and want to keep working, the application would need to reach IRCC before your PGWP expires. This would mean having a job offer and also an approved LMIA from your employer.
2. Work outside of Canada cannot be counted as Canadian work experience, even if your employer is Canadian. Once you return to Canada, you can start counting it as Canadian work experience.
3. No specific requirements for employers in Canada.
4. Learn French and take the language test if you haven't done so already. Return to Canada as soon as possible since you cannot count work experience gained outside of Canada as Canadian work experience. The fact you are working outside of Canada is not helping you and is something you can easily control. When calculating your points, make sure you are not claiming the 50 points for having a job offer unless you have an approved LMIA.
1: I would apply through the CEC since that is what I'll be eligible for. My concern is not so much the ability to continue working but just being able to apply for PR before my time is up. So, if I don't have a job offer but I have completed my hours, and I send in an application for PR and leave Canada by the date specified on the work permit, do I still have a shot? From what I understand, you are eligible for PR with EE with 1 year work experience, and a job offer is not required.

2. Would they need to rehire me?

3. I get paid in PKR right now. In CAD, I would be paid less than minimum wage. Is that still valid?

4. I have not counted those points but have not been able to afford going back without a job. I have been looking for a job but with little success. Those points I calculated are only if I complete my hours, without a job offer. Please clarify.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1: I would apply through the CEC since that is what I'll be eligible for. My concern is not so much the ability to continue working but just being able to apply for PR before my time is up. So, if I don't have a job offer but I have completed my hours, and I send in an application for PR and leave Canada by the date specified on the work permit, do I still have a shot? From what I understand, you are eligible for PR with EE with 1 year work experience, and a job offer is not required.

2. Would they need to rehire me?

3. I get paid in PKR right now. In CAD, I would be paid less than minimum wage. Is that still valid?

4. I have not counted those points but have not been able to afford going back without a job. I have been looking for a job but with little success. Those points I calculated are only if I complete my hours, without a job offer. Please clarify.
1. A job offer is not required. You just need enough points to be selected.
2. Don't know. That's a question for your company.
3. That is a problem. First of all, illegal to be paid below minimum wage if you are working for an employer in Canada. Secondly, you would be at risk of IRCC saying you cannot count this work experience as Canadian work experience. Your compensation should be at least the minimum for your NOC / occupation.
4. I don't understand the question.

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
Reading between the lines and hoping I'm wrong, if you are thinking of registering a company in Canada and hiring yourself as an employee, be aware that you/company will be committing fraud at multiple levels.

You do what you've to do but I think the question you should be asking is if you can't find employment in years of PGWP, what's even the point of chasing PR?

rxtve

Star Member
May 20, 2022
Reading between the lines and hoping I'm wrong, if you are thinking of registering a company in Canada and hiring yourself as an employee, be aware that you/company will be committing fraud at multiple levels.

You do what you've to do but I think the question you should be asking is if you can't find employment in years of PGWP, what's even the point of chasing PR?
No of course not. The company is already registered in Toronto - one of the founders works out of Toronto, the other in my city and I am currently working under her. I was curious to know if I get hired as a Canadian employee under the other founder, but am compensated according to my work in my city, what that looks like.

I have not been actively pursuing until now as I needed to remain in my home country. My PR would determine my future and it's very important for me to try my hardest.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
No of course not. The company is already registered in Toronto - one of the founders works out of Toronto, the other in my city and I am currently working under her. I was curious to know if I get hired as a Canadian employee under the other founder, but am compensated according to my work in my city, what that looks like.

I have not been actively pursuing until now as I needed to remain in my home country. My PR would determine my future and it's very important for me to try my hardest.
If you are being hired as a Canadian employee and work in Canada, you need to be paid as the salary and compensation level as the NOC in Canada. Not lower. (you can get compensated according to your current city as long as it's MORE than that in Canada, it's paid by the Canadian HR/account and you actually work in Canada )

rxtve

Star Member
May 20, 2022
If you are being hired as a Canadian employee and work in Canada, you need to be paid as the salary and compensation level as the NOC in Canada. Not lower. (you can get compensated according to your current city as long as it's MORE than that in Canada, it's paid by the Canadian HR/account and you actually work in Canada )
Yes I have been discussing with my employer. It was my mistake I assumed I would be paid according to my current country rate.