+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit - Proof of Funds Needed?

jmoh

Apr 14, 2018
for PGWP you only need a letter from the SCHOOL or transcript. not a letter from the employer. its an open work permit hence proof of employment is not needed
Just pulled from CIC's website regarding if you need proof of funds if you are in CA on the PGWP, but do not have the amount they require to apply for PR. SUCCESS:

If you are invited to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program or Federal Skilled Trades Program, you will need to show that you meet the settlement funds requirement unless you:

• are currently authorized to work in Canada, and
  • have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada
Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1145&top=29

Conclusion: If you find a decent job during the 1 year PGWP, and you have all the points for an ITA at this stage, then PR becomes a breeze? Then I don't need to worry at all about the financial requirements once I arrive there, graduate, earn my extra EE points and then cheekily move onto the PGWP, maybe onto a bridging visa, and finally onto PR?

Last edited:

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
My tuition fee is about 10,000CAD and I have an additional 10,000CAD for living expenses while studying at the U of Alberta - yes I meet study permit requirements for 1 year only. My previous degree cost me 20,000£ per year, for a total of more than £100,000 over 3 years. Even though it was all funded by scholarship, was it worth it in retrospect? :D I think the university of Alberta is outrageously cheap for the opportunity it affords.

I would be looking for a job in Alberta after graduation ideally. But I'm open to relocating anywhere in Canada, I don't have any ties, it just me myself and I.

I live in the Caribbean now.
10k a year? Is that the International Student fee, as that seems very very cheap? Also, if you are living in the Caribbean right now, the weather in Alberta will be a big shock.

jmoh

Apr 14, 2018
10k a year? Is that the International Student fee, as that seems very very cheap? Also, if you are living in the Caribbean right now, the weather in Alberta will be a big shock.
Seeing is believing
https://www.ualberta.ca/graduate-studies/prospective-students/tuition-and-cost-of-living-estimate
If you troll their reddit or FB u can see them trying to raise fees for intls but facing resistance. They're WELL BELOW the market costs for higher education.

I heard the winters are worst than in the UK by far. I became acclimated to -5 to 20 degrees lol. I was very cheap with heating, somehow I don't think layering up alone are gonna cut it in those siberian winters of yours.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Seeing is believing
https://www.ualberta.ca/graduate-studies/prospective-students/tuition-and-cost-of-living-estimate
If you troll their reddit or FB u can see them trying to raise fees for intls but facing resistance. They're WELL BELOW the market costs for higher education.

I heard the winters are worst than in the UK by far. I became acclimated to -5 to 20 degrees lol. I was very cheap with heating, somehow I don't think layering up alone are gonna cut it in those siberian winters of yours.
Mind you I was basing my tuition fee's on 2 years so mines were relatively the same. Be prepared for the winters to be well into the minus double digits. I am in Newfoundland and the Winters here are not as bad but still a lot colder than what you are used to.

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
Just pulled from CIC's website regarding if you need proof of funds if you are in CA on the PGWP, but do not have the amount they require to apply for PR. SUCCESS:

If you are invited to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program or Federal Skilled Trades Program, you will need to show that you meet the settlement funds requirement unless you:

• are currently authorized to work in Canada, and
  • have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada
Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1145&top=29

Conclusion: If you find a decent job during the 1 year PGWP, and you have all the points for an ITA at this stage, then PR becomes a breeze? Then I don't need to worry at all about the financial requirements once I arrive there, graduate, earn my extra EE points and then cheekily move onto the PGWP, maybe onto a bridging visa, and finally onto PR?
that stream is called the Canadian Experience Class and no you dont need to show proof of funds for that. this is the stream that most international students use (myself included). for that all you need is an experience letter from an employer showing that you have worked there for a minimum of one year, your annual salary and benefits, your job description and role that is either 0.A or B

jmoh

Apr 14, 2018
that stream is called the Canadian Experience Class and no you dont need to show proof of funds for that. this is the stream that most international students use (myself included). for that all you need is an experience letter from an employer showing that you have worked there for a minimum of one year, your annual salary and benefits, your job description and role that is either 0.A or B
The CEC is one option for me, but I'm afraid they're quite strict with the 1 year work experience rule. Most likely I won't be able to do that.

This is why I've applied under Federal Skilled Worker, works better for me based on what I have and can achieve. The only thing I'm wondering now is what constitutes a valid job offer:

A valid job offer has to be:
  • made by one employer
  • continuous
  • paid
  • full-time (at least 30 hours a week)
  • for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
    • not seasonal
    • not on a contract basis
  • in a job that is NOC:
    • Skill Type 0 or
    • Skill Levels A or B
How would I know how long my job is guaranteed for if work isn't assigned on contract? Does this imply one needs to find a permanent job, in addition to it being suitable to the NOC? And I'm assuming I can find this 'suitable job' anytime in the 1 year I am within Canada on the PGWP? As long as it proves I am suitably employed for my first year of PR?

I'm starting to feel like my questions are straying from Studying and into the Working section, so I might make a new topic there for this.

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
The CEC is one option for me, but I'm afraid they're quite strict with the 1 year work experience rule. Most likely I won't be able to do that.

This is why I've applied under Federal Skilled Worker, works better for me based on what I have and can achieve. The only thing I'm wondering now is what constitutes a valid job offer:

A valid job offer has to be:
  • made by one employer
  • continuous
  • paid
  • full-time (at least 30 hours a week)
  • for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
    • not seasonal
    • not on a contract basis
  • in a job that is NOC:
    • Skill Type 0 or
    • Skill Levels A or B
How would I know how long my job is guaranteed for if work isn't assigned on contract? Does this imply one needs to find a permanent job, in addition to it being suitable to the NOC? And I'm assuming I can find this 'suitable job' anytime in the 1 year I am within Canada on the PGWP? As long as it proves I am suitably employed for my first year of PR?

I'm starting to feel like my questions are straying from Studying and into the Working section, so I might make a new topic there for this.
i know from experience that unless you are invited under CEC or have an LMIA job, you have to show proof of funds, irrespective of where you apply (inland or outland). so the job offer they are referring to above is an LMIA job.

jmoh

Apr 14, 2018
i know from experience that unless you are invited under CEC or have an LMIA job, you have to show proof of funds, irrespective of where you apply (inland or outland). so the job offer they are referring to above is an LMIA job.
Yes, you are right. It would be so hard, if not impossible, to be successful if LMIA is involved.

Well I guess I just need to try very hard to find engineering/office/non menial work. I need around 12,000CAD for expenses, and a further 12,000CAD for Proof of Funds for a total of 24,000CAD. Surely even a potential meager income at the time of even 30,000CAD post-tax would be sufficient? I guess this would be the best way forward given everything else? I don't have the privilege of studying for 2 years.

These conversations have been more helpful than months of trying to figure this out on my own, so thanks!