+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) current actual processing time

MyCrowley

Jul 8, 2015
jubear said:
Unfortunately your employer is right in that sense. You will need a new extended SP for you to continue working. In future apply to extend your SP at least 3 months before it expires. In my experience I've always applied to extend my SP at least 5 months early. That gives you time for processing, delays, working, and studying. Why? Because CIC is too busy with a gazillion applications from country wide and those outside Canada...

Your employers understandably have to protect themselves from the law.

Cheers!
Thanks for your prompt reply and I'm sorry if i didn't express it well.

What I applied is post graduate work permit, which can only be filed after I receive my confirmation of graduation. I applied it ASAP.

I asked because you said "PGWP applicants can actually work under implied status as they wait on a final decision from CIC about their application, in addition to R186 (w)" but in my case (i guess everyone else) SIN is getting expired too, without the SIN, we cannot work under implied status.

Thanks for your reply again.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MyCrowley said:
Thanks for your prompt reply and I'm sorry if i didn't express it well.

What I applied is post graduate work permit, which can only be filed after I receive my confirmation of graduation. I applied it ASAP.

I asked because you said "PGWP applicants can actually work under implied status as they wait on a final decision from CIC about their application, in addition to R186 (w)" but in my case (i guess everyone else) SIN is getting expired too, without the SIN, we cannot work under implied status.

Thanks for your reply again.
In that case yes, if you applied for a PGWP you can work under implied status. For your SIN issue, find your nearest Service Canada Centre and talk to someone in person. You should let them know that you applied for a PGWP and waiting. Ask if you can continue using you current SIN. For offices near you, see this link: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-bin/sc-srch.cgi?app=hme&ln=eng.

Good luck.

Cheers!

MyCrowley

Jul 8, 2015
jubear said:
In that case yes, if you applied for a PGWP you can work under implied status. For your SIN issue, find your nearest Service Canada Centre and talk to someone in person. You should let them know that you applied for a PGWP and waiting. Ask if you can continue using you current SIN. For offices near you, see this link:

Good luck.

Cheers!
thanks so much, i'll do it. but one last thing I'm confused is this

"If the new application was submitted for a different type of temporary resident status (e.g., work permit):

On the expiry of your study permit you must stop any of the activities stated in the original study permit once the permit expires. For example, you may have come to Canada as a student and then applied for a work permit. If so, you must stop studying once your study permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit."

Wouldn't this be exactly our situation? I came here as a student and applied for PGWP (which is a different type of temporary resident status), after my study permit expires, I can't work accordingly.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MyCrowley said:
thanks so much, i'll do it. but one last thing I'm confused is this

"If the new application was submitted for a different type of temporary resident status (e.g., work permit):

On the expiry of your study permit you must stop any of the activities stated in the original study permit once the permit expires. For example, you may have come to Canada as a student and then applied for a work permit. If so, you must stop studying once your study permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit."

Wouldn't this be exactly our situation? I came here as a student and applied for PGWP (which is a different type of temporary resident status), after my study permit expires, I can't work accordingly.
See page 2 of this forum. I answered the same question that someone else was confused about. Also visit the links I provided to that member.

Cheers!

Jaison784

Jun 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16-07-2017
IELTS Request
28-08-2017
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2018
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
22-05-2018
I have called CIC and got a confirmation email from them saying that I can continue to work while i wait for my PGWP, and I gave that email to my Employer and he directly contacted CIC and confirmed to me that I can continue to work with him, however CIC told my employer that students who have applied for PGWP 30 days prior to the expiry of their student permit only should be allowed to work.

so if you have not applied 30 days prior to the expiry of your student permit you may not be able to work under implied status.

Jaison784

Jun 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16-07-2017
IELTS Request
28-08-2017
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2018
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
22-05-2018
waiting time has gone up again.... 98 days

MyCrowley

Jul 8, 2015
Jaison784 said:
I have called CIC and got a confirmation email from them saying that I can continue to work while i wait for my PGWP, and I gave that email to my Employer and he directly contacted CIC and confirmed to me that I can continue to work with him, however CIC told my employer that students who have applied for PGWP 30 days prior to the expiry of their student permit only should be allowed to work.

so if you have not applied 30 days prior to the expiry of your student permit you may not be able to work under implied status.
Good tip. I wonder which phone number you've called? the one I found is only available if the processing time has passed. I need to call them as well.

Is the email you mentioned specified to your case or is it general? thanks in advance.

humdrumdum

Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VAC, Paper-based)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Jaison784 said:

So for example, my SP expires on June 30, if I did not apply for the PGWP before June 1st, I cannot work under implied status??? That's so weird, I haven't heard of that one before.

Jaison784

Jun 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16-07-2017
IELTS Request
28-08-2017
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2018
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
22-05-2018
humdrumdum said:
So for example, my SP expires on June 30, if I did not apply for the PGWP before June 1st, I cannot work under implied status??? That's so weird, I haven't heard of that one before.
This is what I heard from CIC and I think CIC requires all applications to change or extend your status has to be made 30 days prior to the expiry of your current status.

Jaison784

Jun 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16-07-2017
IELTS Request
28-08-2017
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2018
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
22-05-2018
MyCrowley said:
Good tip. I wonder which phone number you've called? the one I found is only available if the processing time has passed. I need to call them as well.

Is the email you mentioned specified to your case or is it general? thanks in advance.
I called 1-888-242‑2100, the letter I received from CIC was not specific it is general for all those who applied for PGWP.

humdrumdum

Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VAC, Paper-based)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
I called CIC earlier today to clarify this 30-day rule you've mentioned Jaison, and they said as long as you applied before your SP expired and the conditions of your SP allowed you to work and you did not violate them, you can work under implied status.

I know the 30-day rule only applies to work or study permit extensions, even my school's international student centre said I could apply for the PGWP the day before the expiry of my SP. I don't think it applies because it's a whole new permit, and you're not extending the current one you have.

Jaison784

Jun 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16-07-2017
IELTS Request
28-08-2017
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2018
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
22-05-2018
humdrumdum said:
I called CIC earlier today to clarify this 30-day rule you've mentioned Jaison, and they said as long as you applied before your SP expired and the conditions of your SP allowed you to work and you did not violate them, you can work under implied status.

I know the 30-day rule only applies to work or study permit extensions, even my school's international student centre said I could apply for the PGWP the day before the expiry of my SP. I don't think it applies because it's a whole new permit, and you're not extending the current one you have.
Thanks for clarifying and sharing it here :)