Med's Done....
08-03-2018
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
22-05-2018
again...... 96 days.....seems like CIC not processing PGWP application at all.

humdrumdum

Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VAC, Paper-based)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
I just filed mine on June 27th (my program ended on June 10th and it took a while to release my documents)...

My study permit and visa expired on June 30th, but from what I understand, I have implied status. I just can't work since my SP has expired... I guess it's 3 months of doing nothing for me huhu (I am looking for volunteer work but I have to be really selective about it since CIC differentiates unpaid work from volunteer work, I don't want to be in trouble for it huhu)

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
humdrumdum said:
I just filed mine on June 27th (my program ended on June 10th and it took a while to release my documents)...

My study permit and visa expired on June 30th, but from what I understand, I have implied status. I just can't work since my SP has expired... I guess it's 3 months of doing nothing for me huhu (I am looking for volunteer work but I have to be really selective about it since CIC differentiates unpaid work from volunteer work, I don't want to be in trouble for it huhu)
You can work under implied status while you wait CIC to make a decision on your application. You can work or volunteer if you wish.

Cheers!

humdrumdum

Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
@jubear: I read this on CIC, "They can continue to work off campus provided that they hold a valid study permit and have applied for a work permit under the PGWPP." (Click here, it's under Conditions for work > Final academic session...)

Since my study permit has expired, I can't work? My SIN has expired with it, and I don't think I can get a new one without a new permit...

I'm confused because the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations 186(w) states that a foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit

(w) if they are or were the holder of a study permit who has completed their program of study and
(i) they met the requirements set out in paragraph (v), and
(ii) they applied for a work permit before the expiry of that study permit and a decision has not yet been made in respect of their application.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
humdrumdum said:
@ jubear: I read this on CIC, "They can continue to work off campus provided that they hold a valid study permit and have applied for a work permit under the PGWPP." (Click here, it's under Conditions for work > Final academic session...)

Since my study permit has expired, I can't work? My SIN has expired with it, and I don't think I can get a new one without a new permit...

I'm confused because the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations 186(w) states that a foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit

(w) if they are or were the holder of a study permit who has completed their program of study and
(i) they met the requirements set out in paragraph (v), and
(ii) they applied for a work permit before the expiry of that study permit and a decision has not yet been made in respect of their application.
First, consult this link for Postgraduate work permit (PGWP): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

The regulation R186 (w) allows students like you who have graduated from their program of study to work while they are waiting for a decision on their PGWP application. Yes, you can work as long as you were a full-time student enrolled at your college/university and that you did not exceed the allowable hours of work (20hrs/week) during your studies.

The link you quoted was for off-campus work permits (OCWP). However, the PGWP link has a lot more info. As long as you applied before your SP expired, you can work under implied status until CIC makes a decision on your application.

Cheers!

humdrumdum

Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Thanks jubear! Is it possible to work though with an expired SIN? I am thinking of getting a temporary job instead since I understand some employers don't want the risk of an undecided PGWP application.

humdrumdum

Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Hi jubear, I went to take a look at CIC's help centre to look out for any applicable FAQs... I found this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=492&t=15

The second part says:

"If the new application was submitted for a different type of temporary resident status (e.g., work permit):

On the expiry of your study permit you must stop any of the activities stated in the original study permit once the permit expires. For example, you may have come to Canada as a student and then applied for a work permit. If so, you must stop studying once your study permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit."

This was updated on May 28, 2015, which is more recent than the PGWP info page you showed me. I just really want to be sure about this and not risk working illegally. It's tough to wait 3 months out but I just don't want to get in trouble... CIC's really confusing me right now.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
humdrumdum said:
Thanks jubear! Is it possible to work though with an expired SIN? I am thinking of getting a temporary job instead since I understand some employers don't want the risk of an undecided PGWP application.
Yes, you can still work until you get a new PGWP. According to Service Canada (toll-free phone: 1-800-206-7218 (select option "3")) a SIN number can only be deactivated if it was dormant/not used for more than five (5) years. So don't worry about it. In fact it is something I never worry about myself every time I've extended my OCWP. I just keep working. However, I also encourage you to visit a Service Canada centre near you. Let them know you applied for a PGWP and that you are working as you wait for a decision. Ask if you can use your existing SIN.

Cheers!

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
humdrumdum said:
Hi jubear, I went to take a look at CIC's help centre to look out for any applicable FAQs... I found this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=492&t=15

The second part says:

"If the new application was submitted for a different type of temporary resident status (e.g., work permit):

On the expiry of your study permit you must stop any of the activities stated in the original study permit once the permit expires. For example, you may have come to Canada as a student and then applied for a work permit. If so, you must stop studying once your study permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit."

This was updated on May 28, 2015, which is more recent than the PGWP info page you showed me. I just really want to be sure about this and not risk working illegally. It's tough to wait 3 months out but I just don't want to get in trouble... CIC's really confusing me right now.
I understand your confusion. However, you must also understand that those are new rules for prospective students as of June 1, 2014. Secondly, it clearly states study permits at the top not PGWP. The rule centres around students only who are seeking to extend their SP to continue studying. The reason why it says a student cant work if their SP has expired is because, their sole purpose of coming to Canada was to study not work. So, again the rule is about continuing students NOT graduates seeking for a PGWP after they've completed their studies.

This is the reason why PGWP applicants can actually work under implied status as they wait on a final decision from CIC about their application, in addition to R186 (w).

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

humdrumdum

Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Thanks again for your help jubear! That clears things up so much for me. I hope CIC finds a way to make things a little more straight-forward ::)

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
humdrumdum said:
Thanks again for your help jubear! That clears things up so much for me. I hope CIC finds a way to make things a little more straight-forward ::)
No worries. I'm always happy to help.

Cheers!

pokeyoke_info

May 29, 2015
Hello Folks,

I have even spoken to my employer and they have agreed at my current location to give me a permanent offer too. In the letter which I received from CIC, it clearly states that I can hold full time offer and work until the decision is taken, Now this is what confuses the HR in every organization, But one must back up their pitch with substantial evidence that one has studied in Canada for a duration of two years and is eligible for three years work permit.

Having a good rapport at work is also essential. My employers are only waiting for approval from the headquarters and would let me know regarding the continuity of my employment. Now if we see, CIC has not moved the date from 21 st of March yet. I brought this to my employers notice. The delay is clearly because of the PAN AM games & subsequent FIFA world cup, which is clearly understood. However, processing times are expected to go up to 120 days as we had predicted couple of weeks ago, But I have a feeling the processing times would definitely come down to atleast 60 by August end. For now we can only hope for the best & prepare appropriate convincing pitches for our employers to retain our jobs.

All the nest guys, I should have my decision in a day or two and I will keep you all posted.

Poke_Yoke

Nandini09

Dec 4, 2012
Hi Poke

I was in the same position last month. Unfortunately i lost the offer because when they called CIC and they mentioned that they cant say for 100% that i will get PGWP. I was working with this company for the past year. Initially as a summer student and then they extended my contract.
I am not saying this to discourage you but make sure you are ready for the worse.

Let me know how it goes.

Good Luck

MyCrowley

Jul 8, 2015
jubear said:
I understand your confusion. However, you must also understand that those are new rules for prospective students as of June 1, 2014. Secondly, it clearly states study permits at the top not PGWP. The rule centres around students only who are seeking to extend their SP to continue studying. The reason why it says a student cant work if their SP has expired is because, their sole purpose of coming to Canada was to study not work. So, again the rule is about continuing students NOT graduates seeking for a PGWP after they've completed their studies.

This is the reason why PGWP applicants can actually work under implied status as they wait on a final decision from CIC about their application, in addition to R186 (w).

I hope that helps.

Cheers!
Hi Jubear, can I ask for some advice? my study permit is about to expire as well as my SIN. and without the SIN my employer said they cannot sign me the contract longer than the expiry date. What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

to the thread:
I applied at 1st June, study permit expires at 30 July, now waiting.

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MyCrowley said:
Hi Jubear, can I ask for some advice? my study permit is about to expire as well as my SIN. and without the SIN my employer said they cannot sign me the contract longer than the expiry date. What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

to the thread:
I applied at 1st June, study permit expires at 30 July, now waiting.
Unfortunately your employer is right in that sense. You will need a new extended SP for you to continue working. In future apply to extend your SP at least 3 months before it expires. In my experience I've always applied to extend my SP at least 5 months early. That gives you time for processing, delays, working, and studying. Why? Because CIC is too busy with a gazillion applications from country wide and those outside Canada.

For further info, see this link, point 2: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=492&t=15

Your employers understandably have to protect themselves from the law.

Cheers!