+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit for optional Co-op (URGENT)

Oct 6, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Hey,
I am looking forward to accepting an offer letter from Victoria University. The program offered for masters degree is of 12 months plus 4-8 months of optional CO-OP. My concern being will I be eligible for 3 years PGWP post my co-op work? As it is an optional co-op will It be counted as a study term and hence will my degree qualify for 16-20 months of masters?
Thank you for your time and consideration

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
12+6=18 so you would be eligible for an 18-month PGWP, unless you have at least six months of scheduled breaks in between terms.

Oct 6, 2020
Category........
STUDY
12+6=18 so you would be eligible for an 18-month PGWP, unless you have at least six months of scheduled breaks in between terms.
No, I do not have any scheduled breaks between any of my terms. I was under the impression that 16 months of total studies at a University ( course+co-op) would make me eligible for a 3-year PGWP

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Considering what you have said and that there are no breaks, your course duration is 18 months so you will not get 3 year PGWP.

You need a 24 month course or a 18 month course + 6 month co-op to get a 3 year PGWP.

Oct 6, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Considering what you have said and that there are no breaks, your course duration is 18 months so you will not get 3 year PGWP.

You need a 24 month course or a 18 month course + 6 month co-op to get a 3 year PGWP.
Oh okay, thanks for the clarification. I thought it worked on a number of semesters basis.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019

Or you need to take a term off as a scheduled break. A four semester program can lead to a three-year PGWP if you take the summer (or some other term) off in the middle as a scheduled break, and the school reports the program as being two full years.

Oct 6, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Or you need to take a term off as a scheduled break. A four semester program can lead to a three-year PGWP if you take the summer (or some other term) off in the middle as a scheduled break, and the school reports the program as being two full years.
Okay understood, thanks for sharing such valuable information