+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-graduation work permit-Common-law work permit

Rong

Aug 27, 2020
Hello there,

My partner is a full-time student in Canada and I am now working in Canada by holding a common law open work permit sponsored by him.
After graduation, he could apply for the post-graduation work permit afterwords. My question is that when he make application, could he apply common-law work permit for me at the same time? Or he must have a job offer after graduation and then able to apply that for me?

Our study/work permit are about to expired on Mar 31, 2021 and he is supposed to graduate on April 30, 2021. I am worried if he cannot get a job offer right away after graduation, I will not able to continue work or even stay in Canada during that "transition" period.
Or should we extend our study/work permit for one or two month anyway?

Thank you for your time in advance.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
He needs to be working in an NOC level 0, A, or B job for you to be eligible for another work permit. He needs to apply for a study permit extension and you need to apply to change your status to visitor, so you will have status in Canada after March 31. Then after graduating, he can apply for the PGWP. Once he gets that and starts working, you can apply for a new work permit.

Rong

Aug 27, 2020
He needs to be working in an NOC level 0, A, or B job for you to be eligible for another work permit. He needs to apply for a study permit extension and you need to apply to change your status to visitor, so you will have status in Canada after March 31. Then after graduating, he can apply for the PGWP. Once he gets that and starts working, you can apply for a new work permit.
Thank you for your reply!
Yeah maybe the only way for me is to change my status to visitor and stop working until he find a qualified job after graduation :(