+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-graduation work permit, CEC, implied status & extensions!

d.r.

Star Member
Jul 7, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear all,

I believe there are more than a few people in my situation (which I will explain in a minute) and I would like to take this opportunity to shed some light and discuss the possibilities surrounding (post-gradiation) work permit extensions and implied status.

I am currently on a post-graduation work permit which is due to expire on June 16th this year and I have already applied and waiting for an ITA under CEC (current score: 412). Just like many people before me, I did apply under the old (2014) program for CEC, but due to the cap for 8,000 applicants my application got returned to me.
The question that I would like to ask is: what are my options so far? Will I be able to extend my post-graduation work permit so it can buy me some extra time while waiting to get an ITA? Do I need to renew my permit?
The reason why I'm asking this is because the following page mentions the "Post-graduation work permit" being acceptable under the four-year maximum rule:

h t t p : / /w w w.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible/four-year-maximum.asp?s=2

In order to see this when prompted with "Select the option that best describes your situation:", I chose "Applying to extend your work permit" and the following was displayed on the page:

"All work you do in Canada counts toward your four-year maximum, including all:
- Jobs with open work permits, including the Post-Graduation Work Permit
"

Does this mean that the four-year maximum rule applies for PGWPs? How does implied status factor into this entire scenario?
In addition to this (I'm not sure if this will make any difference) I have been working a year and a half in Canada under my current PGWP which has been issued on 07 Aug 2012 and expires on 16 June 2015.

If you are (have been) into this situation, please do let me know.

Thank you in advance!

pranith

Jan 29, 2015
Hi dude,

I am facing same scenario. I dont think we have an opportunity to extend one more year. I will post here if I get any newz.

Thanx

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
PGWP is a once in a life time permit. I believe that 4 year applies to PGWP as well, but PGWP is 3 year max.

You can get LMIA and get another work permit. If you are waiting for draws, you can change to visitor status, obviously you can't work after you changed it. Or if you get ITA and submit full application before your PGWP expires, you can apply BOWP and continue to work.

Implied status comes in only when you made an application and waiting for decision.

You'll never know when or whether cut off score will drop so just keep your heads up.

GARJ

Mar 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, unfortunately PGWP is non-renewable. Maybe you get ITA before the expiry date, seems like a possibility!

d.r.

Star Member
Jul 7, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you everyone for your replies!

tankthinks

Star Member
Feb 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am in the similar situation as you. (441 pgwp expires at mid June)... The only way to renew our pgwp is get the ITA and submit all our docs and get AOR BEFORE pgwp expiry date. (unless u can get LMIA)