+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate worker waiting for PR under QSW track. Can I move to Ontario?

mgcarrenard

Oct 31, 2013
Hello All,

First of all, I'd like to thank the Forum as a whole for the countless times it has helped me navigate Canadian immigration processes for the 5 years that I've been living in Canada.

Just some history to have an idea of where I'm coming from:

I arrived in Quebec as a foreign student. I finished a 3 year Bachelor's program and then obtained a Post-Graduation work permit after I finished all my classes. After finishing my studies and obtaining my CSQ, I applied for Permanent Residence in Canada under the Quebec Skilled Worker category. I sent my application to CIC in February of 2013 and have since then sent in my medical exam results as well. I have been working full time for the past year and have had two different jobs during that period (One as a dispatcher for a security company, and my current job as an data analyst for an insurance company)
Recently my S.O. (Canadian citizen) has been interested in applyting to Toronto, Ontario for a new job.

Here is my question:
Am I able to move to Toronto with her, even though my application for PR under the QSW program is still under way? If I'm really serious about moving to Ontario, should I withdraw my application under the QSW program and make another application under the FSW program or the CEC program?
I have two years left on my Post-Graduation work permit. If ever I restarted the whole application process for Ontario, would I still have the time to receive my PR? Would I have to renew my work permit? CAN I renew my work permit?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you can help shed some light on this!

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
mgcarrenard said:
Hello All,

First of all, I'd like to thank the Forum as a whole for the countless times it has helped me navigate Canadian immigration processes for the 5 years that I've been living in Canada.

Just some history to have an idea of where I'm coming from:

I arrived in Quebec as a foreign student. I finished a 3 year Bachelor's program and then obtained a Post-Graduation work permit after I finished all my classes. After finishing my studies and obtaining my CSQ, I applied for Permanent Residence in Canada under the Quebec Skilled Worker category. I sent my application to CIC in February of 2013 and have since then sent in my medical exam results as well. I have been working full time for the past year and have had two different jobs during that period (One as a dispatcher for a security company, and my current job as an data analyst for an insurance company)
Recently my S.O. (Canadian citizen) has been interested in applyting to Toronto, Ontario for a new job.

Here is my question:
Am I able to move to Toronto with her, even though my application for PR under the QSW program is still under way? If I'm really serious about moving to Ontario, should I withdraw my application under the QSW program and make another application under the FSW program or the CEC program?
I have two years left on my Post-Graduation work permit. If ever I restarted the whole application process for Ontario, would I still have the time to receive my PR? Would I have to renew my work permit? CAN I renew my work permit?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you can help shed some light on this!
I don't know much about QSW but it sounds like your application is well underway? What's the processing timeframe currently? I'm not sure if it's worth canceling?
I believe if you leave the province your application will be cancelled
I'm not sure what kind of work permit you have so unsure I'd you can renew or still use it

If I were in your situation, I'd wait out QSW and get your Pr then move to Toronto

mgcarrenard

Oct 31, 2013
Yes the application is under way. CIC's average processing times are listed as 20 months so I have 11 months to go, in effect a year.
Application times for CEC are listed as 12 months, that's one of the reasons I was considering the change of applications since it would not constitute a major loss of time for me.
I have an open work permit and my employer has confirmed that they would have no problem transfering me to their Ontario offices and I would keep my job.
A call to CIC confirmed that my work permit would be valid in Ontario.
Yes, I realize the safest course of action would be to just wait it out, but I still wanted to get an idea of my options.