+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-Graduate Worker - Filling taxes for the 1st time - International Tution Fees Tax Rebate

jg3112

Feb 18, 2020
Hi there,

Just looking for some assistance on filing taxes for the 1st time. I'm originally from the UK, I graduated from a Canadian university last year, I have spent this year working in Canada, I am due to file my first lot of taxes in the next month (Have received my T4 and booked an appointment at H and R block).

I remember when studying at uni I was told something along the lines of... I might be able to receive a tax rebate / tax shield for a portion of the international tuition fees I paid while studying.

Have I made this up? Is anyone aware of tax advantages of having paid international tuition fees?

Thanks in advance,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there,

Just looking for some assistance on filing taxes for the 1st time. I'm originally from the UK, I graduated from a Canadian university last year, I have spent this year working in Canada, I am due to file my first lot of taxes in the next month (Have received my T4 and booked an appointment at H and R block).

I remember when studying at uni I was told something along the lines of... I might be able to receive a tax rebate / tax shield for a portion of the international tuition fees I paid while studying.

Have I made this up? Is anyone aware of tax advantages of having paid international tuition fees?

Thanks in advance,
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-323-your-tuition-education-textbook-amounts.html

Btw, H&R Block sucks. It is not hard to navigate the tax return yourself and save the money.