+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post graduate work permit

prtjn

May 20, 2010
Hi All,

Me and my husband graduated in 2004 in Canada and received a 1 year Post Graduate Work Permit in 2005.
My husband was refused work permit and after few application of restoration and TRV refusal, he left Canada voluntarily.

I continued working for my employer till 2006 (more than 1 year work experience) as my workpermit ws renewed. Though, I came under Senior Animation Effects Editor (NOC 9990.1) NOC Cateory which was exempted I also had the labour market opinion approved.
Meanwhile we had applied for PR where my husband was principal applicant and was refused in 2007 as he did not have any work experience in Canada.
We both came back to India in 2007. Started our own design firm 2008.

Recently we both applied for 1 year Post Grad Course in Seneca (Sep2011) and got approved. But the problem is I am not sure after studying for one year, would I be able to get Post grad work permit for the
second time or any other work permit?
I have a medical test date booked for study permit. Should I cancel it? Or should I apply for visa under SPP as my edu loan is approved.

- Or If I join 2 yrs program, Can I directly apply for PR after that? or Do I have to get a work permit also?
- Can I apply for PR while studying? as I already have 1yr education and 1yr work experience in Canada

- As I have been working for my own firm for last 2 yrs, I am thinking of applying under NOC 1122 (Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management) as advertising consultant.

Please suggest me what would be best for me?

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
prtjn said:
Hi All,

Me and my husband graduated in 2004 in Canada and received a 1 year Post Graduate Work Permit in 2005.
My husband was refused work permit and after few application of restoration and TRV refusal, he left Canada voluntarily.

I continued working for my employer till 2006 (more than 1 year work experience) as my workpermit ws renewed. Though, I came under Senior Animation Effects Editor (NOC 9990.1) NOC Cateory which was exempted I also had the labour market opinion approved.
Meanwhile we had applied for PR where my husband was principal applicant and was refused in 2007 as he did not have any work experience in Canada.
We both came back to India in 2007. Started our own design firm 2008.

Recently we both applied for 1 year Post Grad Course in Seneca (Sep2011) and got approved. But the problem is I am not sure after studying for one year, would I be able to get Post grad work permit for the
second time or any other work permit?
I have a medical test date booked for study permit. Should I cancel it? Or should I apply for visa under SPP as my edu loan is approved.

- Or If I join 2 yrs program, Can I directly apply for PR after that? or Do I have to get a work permit also?
- Can I apply for PR while studying? as I already have 1yr education and 1yr work experience in Canada

- As I have been working for my own firm for last 2 yrs, I am thinking of applying under NOC 1122 (Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management) as advertising consultant.

Please suggest me what would be best for me?
Post graduate work permit is once a lifetime thing only, you may get approved for other types of permits which requires LMO approvals.

prtjn

May 20, 2010
If I go for one year post grad certificate course, how long does it take to get LMO approval. Is it really very difficult to get one?

Or Should I join 2 yrs program, Can I directly apply for PR under CEC after that? or Do I have to get a work permit also?

Can I apply for PR while studying? as I already have 1yr education and 1yr work experience in Canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you get an AEO (job offer), you can apply under FSW or through PNP, even without going to Canada first.

Since it has been a few years since you worked in Canada, you are no longer eligible for CEC. If you study again for 2 years and then work for one you could be eligible for CEC again or if you don't study, just work for 2 years.

prtjn

May 20, 2010
Does 2 yr study also need 1 yr work experience under CEC?

I know I can not get PGWP as I already got one. But Can I apply for PR while studying? as I already have 1yr education and 1yr work experience in Canada

Pls suggest....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prtjn said:
Does 2 yr study also need 1 yr work experience under CEC?
Yes.

prtjn said:
I know I can not get PGWP as I already got one. But Can I apply for PR while studying? as I already have 1yr education and 1yr work experience in Canada
The work experience must be after you graduated but within the last 2 years before you apply. If you want to apply under CEC, I suggest you read up on it on the CIC website, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp

prtjn

May 20, 2010
Thanks Leon for all the help :)

If I dont apply under CEC, what is the best category suits my situation:

-Is it possible if I come on visit visa and find a job with LMO approval? or find a job in a province which are still hrsdc exempted (NOC 5241,2174..)? OR

-As I have been working for my own firm for last 2 yrs, I am thinking of applying under NOC 1122 (Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management) as advertising consultant.

Please suggest me....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to apply under 1122 under FSW, I suggest you get your application ready as soon as possible and even that might not be soon enough. As you see at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list they have just reset the caps but the cap this time for each NOC is only 500 applications. If it is already filled when you are ready to apply, you would have to wait for July 1st in one year and hope it is still on the list.

You could go as a visitor and try to locate a job and get an LMO and work permit or get an AEO which would allow you to apply under FSW even under a NOC that is not on the list or which cap is already full.

As you can see on http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/communications/ITendNotice.shtml they still may have LMO exempted IT professions in BC and Quebec.

ALM123

Nov 27, 2011
Hey leon I see you are one of the senior members in this forum
Please help me in this regard.

I need a post grad work permit. I completed my 10 courses of masters in one and half year. Am i eligible for a 3 year work permit ??

Do you have any idea for how long buffalo office give me post grad work permit. I heard if you apply to buffalo they usually give a 3 year PGW permit regardless of the length of the program.

And also i have to renew my TRV as it expires in about 3 months. Do they still provide same day service ?? If not do you know how long do they take? Is it better for me to get a US visa and apply from buffalo office in person. or if i dont get the US visa can i mail them my passport and apply my PGWP from buffalo as i have heard that you get a 3 year Post grad work permit even if your length of program is about a year or so ..

Any comments on this matter would be appreciated
Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The PG work permit can not be issued for longer than the length of your course. If your course was 1.5 years, you get a 1.5 year PG work permit. It would have to be a 2 year course or longer for you to get a 3 year work permit.