+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit

selel

Jun 6, 2019
Hello,

I just finished bachelors, university in Canada, Montreal. I have started working part-time right after my last exam at university, which was at the end of April. I received my final notes mid-May while working part-time. At the beginning of June, I applied online for the Post Graduate Work Permit with my transcript and an official letter from the university stating that I have fulfilled all the requirements of my program and will be granted by a Bachelor of Science at a later date in June. (I think this is important, I haven't officially received any documents-transcripts-diplomas from school after my final notes. I went to school and requested by myself only for the PGWP application). After applying online, I started to work full-time. Lastly, I have a valid study permit until 2021 and I have the right to work off campus. Also, I stated on the application form that my school finished in April and my work started in May.

Do you think this would cause a problem for my application?

Thank you for sharing your answers!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
So you mean you didn't include letter of completion or official transcripts in your application? If so this is a big problem.

You are only allowed to work part time up until you receive your official notification of completion. Then when you apply you can work full time.

Study permits are invalid 90 days after program completion and are not required to apply for PGWP, although if you apply on another status then you cant work while waiting for PGWP.

selel

Jun 6, 2019
So you mean you didn't include letter of completion or official transcripts in your application? If so this is a big problem.

You are only allowed to work part time up until you receive your official notification of completion. Then when you apply you can work full time.

Study permits are invalid 90 days after program completion and are not required to apply for PGWP, although if you apply on another status then you cant work while waiting for PGWP.
Thank you bongoman for your answer. Of course I added those documents : official transcripts, official letter from school stating that I will be granted soon with a Bachelor of Science and a letter from my program coordinator stating that I fulfilled the requirements of my program (this is unofficial). I'm just saying that I didn't receive anything from school officially. My diploma etc. I didn't even receive any kind of official statement, no graduation ceremony etc. For all the documents I went to school and got it by myself. It's just that I started working part-time at the beginning of May before my final notes were announced and my final notes were announced on 16th of May and I applied online for the PGWP at the beginnning of June. Dou you think there is a chance being deported? I'm a bit scared.

Another info: On my transcript, it says the date of release (date d'emission) is 31 may 2019.

It's a bit tricky I know

Last edited:

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Thank you bongoman for your answer. Of course I added those documents : official transcripts, official letter from school stating that I will be granted soon with a Bachelor of Science and a letter from my program coordinator stating that I fulfilled the requirements of my program (this is unofficial). I'm just saying that I didn't receive anything from school officially. My diploma etc. I didn't even receive any kind of official statement, no graduation ceremony etc. For all the documents I went to school and got it by myself. It's just that I started working part-time at the beginning of May before my final notes were announced and my final notes were announced on 16th of May and I applied online for the PGWP at the beginnning of June. Dou you think there is a chance being deported? I'm a bit scared.

Another info: On my transcript, it says the date of release (date d'emission) is 31 may 2019.

It's a bit tricky I know
I think you should talk to your school and ask specifically if that is the letter of completion that is used to apply for PGWP, ceremony and diploma are not necessary.
You wont get deported, you might get denied PGWP if its not the correct document, you can just apply again with correct docs since you have 180 days from completion.