+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-graduate work permit

Econguru

Sep 2, 2011
Hello everyone.

I am little confused.

To be eligible for the post-graduate work permit, one could be part-time in the last semester of studies if the course work does not require to be full-time. However, my thesis took six months (more than a semester) because of my supervisor's schedule.

Do I still qualify to apply for the post-graduate work permit?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Econguru said:
Hello everyone.

I am little confused.

To be eligible for the post-graduate work permit, one could be part-time in the last semester of studies if the course work does not require to be full-time. However, my thesis took six months (more than a semester) because of my supervisor's schedule.

Do I still qualify to apply for the post-graduate work permit?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
My thesis, too. And I was granted a PGWP. I think it's fine. You can always confirm it with your local Service Canada office -- they're quite helpful. Go there in person though.

Econguru

Sep 2, 2011
Thanks, Empirical Scientist.

When you say "go to your local service Canada office", when should I go to that office: after applying for the PGWP online or before?

And, did you take any letter from your department, graduate studies office or international student office?

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
You should go before applying so you get advised accordingly.

To apply, I requested an official letter from the Registrar's Office stating that I had completed the requirements for my degree as well as the corresponding dates.

Econguru

Sep 2, 2011
The department and the Registrar's office both confirm the completion of study requirements, which is a standard letter they issue.

What I meant was whether any specific letter is required outlining the time to completion of the thesis, and the reasons thereof.

What did they advise you? Did they issue any document to upload with your application?

Thanks again for sharing the information.

Econguru

Sep 2, 2011
Empirical-Scientist can you please further share your experience.

Has anyone else been in the same kind of situation as I am.

I would appreciate if anyone can share the information.

Thanks.

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Econguru said:
The department and the Registrar's office both confirm the completion of study requirements, which is a standard letter they issue.

What I meant was whether any specific letter is required outlining the time to completion of the thesis, and the reasons thereof.

What did they advise you? Did they issue any document to upload with your application?

Thanks again for sharing the information.
No such specific letter is required. You just need the confirmation of completion. The provincial office will also require a transcript of your studies.