+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit With One Part Time Semester In The Middle

JoeYu

May 16, 2019
Hi All,

I would really appreciate if someone could give me some insight on this.

I transferred from UBC Okanagan to Vancouver campus after the first year. Since there were different first-year requirements to get into the program that I wanted, I took an extra year to complete those requirements. I had 18 credits in total but because some courses were only offered at certain semester, I couldn't evenly distribute my credits. So I did 8 credits for the first term and 10 credits for the second term. At UBC, 9 credits per term and 18 credits per year are minimal for full-time students. However, on the CIC websites, one of the criteria says the following:
"They have maintained full-time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program or programs of study they have completed and submitted as part of their post-graduation work permit application."

On my official transcript, each academic session is a year rather than a semester. If it goes by years rather than semesters, I shouldn't have any troubles I think.

Other than that, I met all the other requirements. What is my likelihood to get PGWP approved if I do flagpoling? Would there be a higher chance if I apply it online?

The reason I am consider flagpoling is because I already have a job offer and can't wait for 4 months online processing time since it will change my other plans.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Cannot comment or speculate whether you will get a PGWP but assume you realise that the moment you submit your application that you are on implied status and can start full time work pending approval so there is no wait period where you cannot work.