+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit with flag-poling

ashek1520

Aug 22, 2012
Hello everyone,
I am finishing my masters (2 years) this month and I have a job offer with joining date on 15th Sept (23 days from today)
A few hours back I realized that CIC is taking 50 days to process work-permit application. Someone has suggested me to do flagpoling.
I have US visiting visa with multiple entry, valid Canadian TRV till December and student permit till December.
Is it Ok to do flag-poling. I saw many forums on net discussing about flag-poling and positive about flagpoling, but could not find any post on post graduate work permit.
Please share your experience if any or your suggestions.

Please guide me.
Thanks a lot

Vipul.Varinder

Jun 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dude you can work if you have already applied for pgwp .. do not need of flagpoling....
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-how.asp

enjoy and congrats for ur job..

ashek1520

Aug 22, 2012
Thank you :)
I have not applied for PGWP yet.. but I shall apply in 3-4 days once I get a notification letter from the graduate office.
However the weblink you sent, it says that
If I have valid off-campus work permit, I can start working just after applying for PGWP, no need to wait for the final work permit.
However if I do not have (which is true in my case), I can not start working untill i get the work permit in hand.
"If you do not have authorization to work off campus while waiting for your post-graduation work permit, you must wait until the permit arrives to begin your new job. It is illegal to work in Canada without a valid work permit."

Vipul.Varinder

Jun 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dude flag poling is easy in the case of PR or temporary visa, but think about work visa, even if you go to buffalo or west end of america Canadian border, how it will effect you..
for working in canada , you must have valid work permit or visa..
my suggestion is apply for off campus work permit,.. you still have some days.. and you will get it in 14-21 working days..
lets wait for others suggestions

ashek1520

Aug 22, 2012
Having studied for 2 years, I guess I am allowed to get the work permit for three years. So should not have problem is issuing work permit.
For an example: I know a few friends (doing PhD), when their spause passed immigration at Canada airport, they were issue work permit because Canada law suggest that.

About off campus work permit, it is taking 35 days now to process, in that case it is better to apply for work permit directly (I think).

Yes hoping for a few more responses.

Here is a discussion. which is not about PGWP, but it is about work permit through flagpoling.

ashek1520

Aug 22, 2012
Hi all,

This is just an update on my post which I should have done long back.
I did go for the flag polling to get the post graduate work permit (PGWP) and I could get the permit in 40 minute.
Everything went quite smoothly, however the officer told me that usually they don't prefer to give PGWP by flagpolliing.
So I would suggest not to try it unless it is the last option. Plan ahead and try to apply for the work permit as done usually. but as a last resort you can use flagpoll.
You shall have to carry all the docs you shall typically need to apply for PGWP. Its safer to have US visa (I had it), but people say its not necessary as people in US visa side are aware of this process.

Best

MUSHROOMROOM

Star Member
Dec 25, 2012
Hey!!

May I ask if you are from a visa-exempt country?
Did they ask you why you flagpole instead of mailing in your application?

Thank you!