+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

misledhelix

Mar 2, 2022
btw, applied on Oct 27th 2021, still waiting. Pasting the extract of the letter for reference

Good day,
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).​

Maintained status - Temporary resident
As a temporary resident, it is important to apply to extend your stay in Canada, if necessary, before it expires. Following submission of the application, you are considered to have maintained status, previously known as “implied status”.
  • If you apply to extend your stay before the expiry date of your current status:
    • you will be considered in status as a temporary resident until a decision is made on your application.
  • If you apply to extend your work or study permit before the expiry date of your current permit, and it expires before a decision is made:
    • you can continue working or studying under the same conditions as your existing permit, as long as you remain in Canada.
Leaving and re-entering Canada while under maintained status and authorization to work or study:
You may be authorized to re-enter Canada:
  • As a temporary resident, if your application to extend your stay has not yet been approved (if applicable, you must wait* until you receive your new permit before you start to work/study):
    • this applies to you if, among other things:
      • you are temporary resident visa (TRV) exempt,
      • you hold a valid multiple-entry visa, or
      • you have travelled only to the United States (excluding cruises entering international waters) and/or St.Pierre and Miquelon,
  • As a worker or student:
    • if the officer determines that your application to extend your permit was approved while you were outside Canada, or
    • if you are eligible to apply for a new work or study permit at your arrival in Canada.
An officer will ask you questions to see if you meet all of the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada.
*If you applied for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), you may work in Canada while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application.
Proof of maintained status:
It is recommended that you provide these documents to prove that you have maintained status:
  • Your expired immigration document,
  • (If the application was submitted by paper) A copy of the application to extend your stay sent to the Case Processing Centre before the expiration date of your status,
  • (If the application was submitted online) A copy of the Confirmation of Online Application Transmission message in your online account,
  • A copy of the fee payment receipt included with the application, and
  • (If applicable) A delivery confirmation from the postal service provider used to send the application.
If you submitted a second extension application and:
Your first application was approved after the receipt of your second application
  • The validity period of your newly issued document and any authorizations will apply while we continue to process your second application.
Your first application was refused or rejected after the receipt of your second application
and
Your original status was still valid when your second application was received
  • You are on maintained status until a decision is made on your second application, and
  • You can continue working and/or studying under the same conditions as your existing permit, as long as you remain in Canada.
Your first application was refused after the receipt of your second application
and
Your original status was expired when your second application was received
  • You are on maintained status until a decision is made on your second application as long as your first application was submitted prior to the expiry of your existing status,
  • However, you are no longer authorized to work and/or study without a permit from the date the first application was refused.
Your first application was rejected after the receipt of your second application
and
Your original status was expired when your second application was received
  • Since it was rejected, the first application is considered to have never been received,
  • You will be considered to have status only until your original status expires,
  • You do not have maintained status, and
  • You do not have authorization to continue working or studying.
More information on maintained status is also available on our website.
Coronavirus - Maintained status and authorization to work without a permit
We verified the information you provided and can confirm that your work permit application is still in process. If the letter we sent you when you applied online to extend or change your work permit is now expired and you haven’t left Canada, you have maintained your status. You can keep working under the same conditions of your current work permit until we make a decision on your application.
Here is why the letter expires after 120 days:
  • This is the service standard to process this type of application, and
  • Many employers and health insurance providers will ask for proof that you’re allowed to work,
    • an expiry date helps satisfy their concerns about your status and authorization to work in Canada.
If your employer or others require proof that you can continue to work, you can show them:
  • This email,
  • The information on our website,
  • Your expired immigration document,
  • A copy of the Confirmation of Online Application Transmission message in your account,
  • Proof that you paid the fees, and/or
  • If you received a Request Letter from IRCC, a copy of that letter.
For more information on maintained status, we invite you to consult our website.​

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you:

Thank you,

XXXXXX
Agent #******
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Note: The information provided may change without notice. If there is conflicting information between the text in the email and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, the Citizenship Act or their regulations, the Act and/or Regulations prevail. This email was sent to you in the language of your choice. The information on the IRCC website is available in both official languages.​

Vinoth95

Star Member
Dec 2, 2019
Yes, they hesitate but they do. I got hired to a permanent position in Feb with my maintained status expiring in Feb(120 days)....in the first week itself HR came back and gave me a notice of termination if my WP is not recived by the date mentioned the CICC letter...I called them and the agent sent me an email confirming that I can continue to work till they make their decision...I gave that email to HR and they were satisfied with it.
Thank you for your answer. I have an offer in hand from a major telecom company. I was wondering how can I convince them to hire me on applied status.

misledhelix

Mar 2, 2022
Thank you for your answer. I have an offer in hand from a major telecom company. I was wondering how can I convince them to hire me on applied status.
Frankly...it is not your Job/Duty to point out to them about your maintained status, so you should not try. You just need to answer one questions "Are you legally authorized to work in Canada?" the answer is single word "Yes" which you are. Once on-boarded they will not care as long as your status is maintained. The challenge is only if they start having apprehensions about your continued status in Canada Before an offer is made(they will not make an offer at all if they have doubts). If you already have an offer, just join them fast. Only You can screw this up for yourself by doubting yourself.,,don't try to explain your visa status.

Vinoth95

Star Member
Dec 2, 2019
Frankly...it is not your Job/Duty to point out to them about your maintained status, so you should not try. You just need to answer one questions "Are you legally authorized to work in Canada?" the answer is single word "Yes" which you are. Once on-boarded they will not care as long as your status is maintained. The challenge is only if they start having apprehensions about your continued status in Canada Before an offer is made(they will not make an offer at all if they have doubts). If you already have an offer, just join them fast. Only You can screw this up for yourself by doubting yourself.,,don't try to explain your visa status.
Yea sure thank you. Surprisingly they did not ask anything about my work permit status before making an offer. I guess they will ask me only after I accept the offer.

ukuduck

Mar 1, 2022
Hi, I am in a similar scenario as @Vinoth95 . I applied to my PGWP after my study permit expired. I had to restore my study permit and applied to the PGWP. So technically I cannot work until my PGWP gets approved. I received a verbal offer from a company who's doing some background check recently. I wonder if my current status will be a barrier for this company to hire me, because I am indeed out-of-status until I receive my PGWP. Do you think it's possible for them to still give me a written offer and officially hire me when my PGWP is issued? Thank you!

misledhelix

Mar 2, 2022
Hi, I am in a similar scenario as @Vinoth95 . I applied to my PGWP after my study permit expired. I had to restore my study permit and applied to the PGWP. So technically I cannot work until my PGWP gets approved. I received a verbal offer from a company who's doing some background check recently. I wonder if my current status will be a barrier for this company to hire me, because I am indeed out-of-status until I receive my PGWP. Do you think it's possible for them to still give me a written offer and officially hire me when my PGWP is issued? Thank you!
Anything is possible but usually an employer does not make job offers to people who do not have work authorization. If they go-ahead and select you + are willing to wait for your application to get processed then you got nothing to loose....but not very likely senario unless you have some rare skillset they badly need and are not able to find easily.

Reactions: ukuduck