+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Sb2021

Star Member
Oct 26, 2021
I had a job offer and request for urgent processing after 1 month by webform
Me too, I have a job offer. I applied on September 3rd, still nothing. Today I sent my job offer through webfrom and explain I'll lose my job offer if I don't receive my WP by January. Do you think they consider this? I'm so stressed about this. I talked to an IRCC agent, she told me only if your job offer it's related to health, they are going to speed up the process.

Sb2021

Star Member
Oct 26, 2021
Guys , hope everybody is well and not 300% stressed haha

Here is a situation....

Technically, is the PGWP full-time maintained status requirement is required for the hole duration of the study permit or for a program of study.
Lets say somoene got 5 years study permit, and during the first 2 years was in between programs and sometimes part-time, but when chosed the right program maintained the requirements.... what gonna happen in this case ?
Based on this, the program is enough. However to be sure you should call IRCC and ask about this or ask your international student advisors at your University.

Reactions: NikitaLisbon

primestudio

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018
I had a job offer and request for urgent processing after 1 month by webform
Can't you work under implied status, I got a job offer for Sept 15 and applied for my work permit the day before (I hadn't had any work before). I finished my last class by end of aug so it took my school quite some time to finalize my graduation (and get that letter of graduation).

My employer are understanding (I think most do for tech position) of this, they know the whole implied status thingy. Though, if you would be working outside of Canada then I understand the need for it.

primestudio

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018
Me too, I have a job offer. I applied on September 3rd, still nothing. Today I sent my job offer through webfrom and explain I'll lose my job offer if I don't receive my WP by January. Do you think they consider this? I'm so stressed about this. I talked to an IRCC agent, she told me only if your job offer it's related to health, they are going to speed up the process.
That's weird. Does the HR know you can work under implied status till you get PGWP processed ?
In my experience, most medium-big companies HR's are aware of this. They don't even bring up my immigration status on job offer, cuz they know I will apply PGWP once I graduate (and in their eyes, its the same as hiring locals).

susa333

Star Member
Jun 18, 2020
That's weird. Does the HR know you can work under implied status till you get PGWP processed ?
In my experience, most medium-big companies HR's are aware of this. They don't even bring up my immigration status on job offer, cuz they know I will apply PGWP once I graduate (and in their eyes, its the same as hiring locals).
some companies do not hire graduates without a work permit, for example, my employer, I could not go to work until I get the approved work permit.

Reactions: Sb2021

primestudio

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018
some companies do not hire graduates without a work permit, for example, my employer, I could not go to work until I get the approved work permit.
Hmm that's really weird. Most of my friend who work in tech or finance didn't have issue with that. They only ask for your study permit, proof of application for PGWP and letter of graduation. But then again, this is for medium-big companies along with some highly paying startups

Did you post your job offer when applying for webform ?. I feel like you're in a hard position as technically its the employer's fault for not being aware with the law. Maybe contact your local MP. If you are lucky, they will expedite the process without many bureaucracy involved.

Last edited:

ns9

Jun 26, 2017
Same for me, I am working under implied status. My HR asked for the work permit, but I told her that I have applied for it and gave the PGWP application submission letter.

Chris Lee

Aug 26, 2021
Hello!

Sorry for bothering. I was wondering how I can tell when a eligibility review starts for my application. I logged in this morning to see a status update, but when I clicked into my application. I don't see much difference.

Is it about the application status? It looks shorter, but I can't remember what it exactly says before. And it could definitely be anxiety just playing tricks on me.

I applied in Ontario on 31 August. And I've seen people here getting their approval when they applied around 27-28 Aug and 3-9 Sept. So it's quite worrying.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you!

Reactions: jlusi