+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

irinaaas11

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
I have the same question. Even I have applied on 27th august and am working. And my eligibility has not started yet. Just noticed that for somone who applied on 24th it has started. I read somewhere that we have to raise a webform something but not clear on the process if the date exceeds beyond 25 December :(
They send those letters so we can show our employers we are legally allowed to work. They're automated, I believe, and most students in my class for example didn't receive one. You can disregard the date on it, as we are allowed to work until a decision is made. Source: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181 and https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/after-you-apply.html and https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend/after-apply.html

If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter
If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter, you can still keep working until we make a decision.
If your employer or others need proof that you can continue to work
  • you can show them this web page, or
  • if your employer is not satisfied with the information on this page, you can contact us

Last edited:

John_22

Oct 21, 2018
They send those letters so we can show our employers we are legally allowed to work. They're automated, I believe, and most students in my class for example didn't receive one. You can disregard the date on it, as we are allowed to work until a decision is made. Source: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181 and https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/after-you-apply.html and https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend/after-apply.html

If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter
If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter, you can still keep working until we make a decision.
If your employer or others need proof that you can continue to work
  • you can show them this web page, or
  • if your employer is not satisfied with the information on this page, you can contact us
I don't think this would work with study permit holders. That statement only applies to individuals who already got their PGWP or other kinds of work permit that their work permit is about to expire and they already submitted an extension application of their work permit. I read somewhere that the IRCC will prioritize processing applications for those who are/were study permit holders within 120 days that is set on the WP-EXP for PGWP letter.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/work-without-permit/authorization-work-without-work-permit-implied-status.html
  1. The letter has a 120-day validity from the date of receipt, which corresponds with IRCC’s service standard for in-Canada applications. Historically, IRCC meets its service standard more than 90% of the time; therefore, only a few applicants will require a new letter. Most should receive a decision before the 120 days have expired.
  2. If a temporary resident is applying for their first work permit from within Canada, paragraph R186(u) does not apply. A temporary resident must hold a work permit and be applying to renew it under section R201 to meet the requirements of the work without a permit exemption.

Last edited:
Reactions: MariusC and jlusi

ProspectiveCanadain

Nov 1, 2021
I don't think this would work with study permit holders. That statement only applies to individuals who already got their PGWP or other kinds of work permit that their work permit is about to expire and they already submitted an extension application of their work permit. I read somewhere that the IRCC will prioritize processing applications for those who are/were study permit holders within 120 days that is set on the WP-EXP for PGWP letter.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/work-without-permit/authorization-work-without-work-permit-implied-status.html
  1. The letter has a 120-day validity from the date of receipt, which corresponds with IRCC’s service standard for in-Canada applications. Historically, IRCC meets its service standard more than 90% of the time; therefore, only a few applicants will require a new letter. Most should receive a decision before the 120 days have expired.
  2. If a temporary resident is applying for their first work permit from within Canada, paragraph R186(u) does not apply. A temporary resident must hold a work permit and be applying to renew it under section R201 to meet the requirements of the work without a permit exemption.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

Work authorization after submitting a post-graduation work permit application

As per paragraph R186(w), graduates who apply for a work permit, such as a post-graduation work permit, before the expiry of their study permit are eligible to work full time without a work permit while waiting for a decision on their application if all of the following apply:

• They are or were the holders of a valid study permit at the time of the post-graduation work permit application.
  • They have completed their program of study.
  • They met the requirements for working off campus without a work permit under paragraph R186(v) (that is, they were a full-time student enrolled at a DLI in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program of at least 8 months in duration that led to a degree, diploma or certificate).
  • They did not exceed the allowable hours of work under paragraph R186(v).

Applicants remain eligible to work full time without a work permit while waiting for a decision on their application even after leaving and re-entering Canada.

Applicants must stop working as soon as they are notified by IRCC (for example, via their MyAccount, by email or by mailed letter) that their application for a work permit is refused.

John_22

Oct 21, 2018
Reactions: MariusC and jlusi

irinaaas11

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
My bad, disregard the last link.

But the link you quoted is for the work permit, not PGWP. There's a huge difference in the laws between the two of them, as my immigration consultant mentioned to me a few weeks ago.
The link refers to WP-EXT only except PGWP - we received WP-EXT for PGWP - which contradicts the immigration law that states:
"You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application if, at the time you submitted your application, you:
  • had a valid study permit,
  • had completed your program of study,
  • were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and
  • did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions."
Some students didn't receive that letter at all, and they worked full-time until they got their PGWP approved. If that cut-off date was so important, I assume every student would have received the letter, not just some. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: KanikaJ and MariusC

irinaaas11

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
This is the exact link my immigration lawyer went through with me when I asked him if I can still work after leaving and re-entering Canada.
He also said to disregard the WP-EXT for PGWP letter, as its purpose is to show employers we are eligible for full-time work, and most PGWP applications get reviewed/approved/denied before that date.

Reactions: ProspectiveCanadain

John_22

Oct 21, 2018
My bad, disregard the last link.

But the link you quoted is for the work permit, not PGWP. There's a huge difference in the laws between the two of them, as my immigration consultant mentioned to me a few weeks ago.
The link refers to WP-EXT only except PGWP - we received WP-EXT for PGWP - which contradicts the immigration law that states:
"You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application if, at the time you submitted your application, you:
  • had a valid study permit,
  • had completed your program of study,
  • were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and
  • did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions."
Some students didn't receive that letter at all, and they worked full-time until they got their PGWP approved. If that cut-off date was so important, I assume every student would have received the letter, not just some. Just my 2 cents.
That might be a glitch why some people didn't get an automated letter for them to work fulltime while their applications were in progress.

Reactions: jlusi

jlusi

Oct 13, 2021
That might be a glitch why some people didn't get an automated letter for them to work fulltime while their applications were in progress.
I agree, personally I would rather not risk it. Unless IRCC explicitly says it's okay, I will stop working when my date reaches if I have no decision yet.

I think making decisions based on immigration norms & reality instead of ignoring it because it was overlooked for someone else on this forum, is a safer bet. As in, someone from Europe doesn't get the same consideration as someone from Africa, it's just the way it is. So we ought to make decisions knowing that there is no guarantee that you will be treated the same as someone else with a similar profile.

Knowing that others mistakes were overlooked is good, to keep you hopeful and figure out a way forward, but don't deliberately ignore what is written by IRCC.

John_22

Oct 21, 2018
I agree, personally I would rather not risk it. Unless IRCC explicitly says it's okay, I will stop working when my date reaches if I have no decision yet.

I think making decisions based on immigration norms & reality instead of ignoring it because it was overlooked for someone else on this forum, is a safer bet. As in, someone from Europe doesn't get the same consideration as someone from Africa, it's just the way it is. So we ought to make decisions knowing that there is no guarantee that you will be treated the same as someone else with a similar profile.

Knowing that others mistakes were overlooked is good, to keep you hopeful and figure out a way forward, but don't deliberately ignore what is written by IRCC.
Fingers crossed, they will prioritize and approve international students given that we are Canadian educated.

AnkithaP

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hi
I am looking for answers for a couple questions for my boyfriend who is currently doing 1- year course in Ontario which ends on December 31st, his study permit expires on December 31st as well.

He is looking to apply for PGWP - and was mentioning that we would require transcripts before he could apply. Is transcript needed or any other document we could apply with ?
Also can he work when he is waiting for PGWP approval ?

He currently applied for Study Permit extension thinking it would provide extra time for receiving transcripts to apply PGWP, but still waiting for decision on extension itself. Worried with current long processing times, what to do if the extension is not yet approved before study permit expires (Dec-31).

Any advise on how to move forward will be helpful for us in great way. Thanks for all inputs and info.

Sb2021

Star Member
Oct 26, 2021
Hi
I am looking for answers for a couple questions for my boyfriend who is currently doing 1- year course in Ontario which ends on December 31st, his study permit expires on December 31st as well.

He is looking to apply for PGWP - and was mentioning that we would require transcripts before he could apply. Is transcript needed or any other document we could apply with ?
Also can he work when he is waiting for PGWP approval ?

He currently applied for Study Permit extension thinking it would provide extra time for receiving transcripts to apply PGWP, but still waiting for decision on extension itself. Worried with current long processing times, what to do if the extension is not yet approved before study permit expires (Dec-31).

Any advise on how to move forward will be helpful for us in great way. Thanks for all inputs and info.
On IRCC website in this situation, it is recommended to apply for visitor record before the expiration of the study permit IF you are only waiting for the marks and documents, and you are done with courses and exams. Therefore, by the time of applying for PGWP you are not out of status,however, you cannot work untill you have your work permit. In the case of study permit extension, it may be refused, as for extension you need to be registered for courses and Ofcourse, you have the restoration option too.

meiyou147

Star Member
Nov 29, 2019
I have the same question. Even I have applied on 27th august and am working. And my eligibility has not started yet. Just noticed that for somone who applied on 24th it has started. I read somewhere that we have to raise a webform something but not clear on the process if the date exceeds beyond 25 December :(
I applied on 28th of August, but letter allows me to work until 26th of December, I don't know if I can get my pgwp this month, cause my study permit is gonna expire at the end of the month.

Bs_001

Oct 29, 2021
Hlo Guys, i Applied my PGWP application on 13 july (inland) no update so far. now what should i have to do. Plz suggest me
Thank you