+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

scilla

May 6, 2021
We did call about this exactly same issue and got en email from IRCC:

Coronavirus - Maintained status and authorization to work without a permit

We verified the information you provided and can confirm that your work permit application is still in process. If the letter we sent you when you applied online to extend or change your work permit is now expired and you haven’t left Canada, you have maintained your status. You can keep working under the same conditionsof your current work permit until we make a decision on your application.

Here is why the letter expires after 120 days:
  • This is the service standard to process this type of application, and
  • Many employers and health insurance providers will ask for proof that you’re allowed to work,
    • an expiry date helps satisfy their concerns about your status and authorization to work in Canada.
If your employer or others require proof that you can continue to work, you can show them:
  • This email,
  • The information on our website,
  • Your expired immigration document,
  • A copy of the Confirmation of Online Application Transmission message in your account,
  • Proof that you paid the fees, and/or
  • If you received a Request Letter from IRCC, a copy of that letter.
For more information on maintained status, we invite you to consult our website.
My hero

Reactions: zuxik649

jlusi

Oct 13, 2021
I found an interesting clause on the program delivery instructions, which states that the authority of paragraph R186 still stands despite the date stated in the WP-EXT letter. The date only serves to satisfy potential employers that anyone on maintained status is authorized to work while waiting on a decision on their PGWP application, and has no effect on the duration of the maintained status itself.

Quoting the Letter Validity clause under Interim Proof of Work, found at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/work-without-permit/authorization-work-without-work-permit-implied-status.html:

"Officers should understand that the validity date of the letter in no way overrides the authority of paragraph R186(u), which allows foreign nationals who meet the requirements to continue working until a final decision is made on their work permit renewal application or the foreign national leaves Canada.

The letter has a 120-day validity from the date of receipt, which corresponds with IRCC’s service standard for in-Canada applications. Historically, IRCC meets its service standard more than 90% of the time; therefore, only a few applicants will require a new letter. Most should receive a decision before the 120 days have expired."

To add:

"The letter is provided to applicants as proof that they have continued authorization to work, and the validity date is added to give employers and other stakeholders a more concrete period of time of authorized work. IRCC has found in the past that employers and stakeholders are reluctant to accept an unknown period such as “until a decision is made.”"

Hope this helps to clear the confusion around maintained status length / validity.
Thank you for this, I don't know if it applies to me, but I will check to verify.

jlusi

Oct 13, 2021

We verified the information you provided and can confirm that your work permit application is still in process. If the letter we sent you when you applied online to extend or change your work permit is now expired and you haven’t left Canada, you have maintained your status. You can keep working under the same conditionsof your current work permit until we make a decision on your application.

• Many employers and health insurance providers will ask for proof that you’re allowed to work,
    • an expiry date helps satisfy their concerns about your status and authorization to work in Canada.
If your employer or others require proof that you can continue to work, you can show them:
  • This email,
  • A copy of the Confirmation of Online Application Transmission message in your account,
For more information on maintained status, we invite you to consult our website.
Great this is very helpful

Erfan2108

Oct 17, 2021
Hi guys,

My PGWP application is still in progress and I want to apply for an open work permit for my wife. Do you think it makes sense to apply for her permit now and send a copy of my PGWP using webform once it is approved? I dont want to wait 3 months for my permit and then another 3 months for hers.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hi guys,

My PGWP application is still in progress and I want to apply for an open work permit for my wife. Do you think it makes sense to apply for her permit now and send a copy of my PGWP using webform once it is approved? I dont want to wait 3 months for my permit and then another 3 months for hers.
IMHO, you risk rejection for your wife’s SOWP in the event IRCC starts processing her application and you get your decision around the same time. Just my opinion.

ChrisCan

Star Member
Mar 15, 2021
The immigration officer at the entry told me when I entered with study permit extension and wp ext that you might have lost implied status, nontheless the ircc will contact you and you tell them the reason.

cooky.sonu

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021

• This email,

Is it true? you are giving me hope ! you called them or they mailed you?
Date does not mean we need to stop working ?

NikitaLisbon

Star Member
Oct 4, 2021
Hey Guys,

i applied for a PGWP Outland around September. i was asked to do biometrics since; couple weeks later ''yesturday'', i was asked to do a medical exam.
i have already done a medical exam when i was applying for a study permit...
In my application i joint a medical certificate to support my application, as i took couple semester off and part-time, so i am wondering if that is why they are asking for medical tests....

Neda_shad

Star Member
Feb 9, 2021
Hey Guys,

i applied for a PGWP Outland around September. i was asked to do biometrics since; couple weeks later ''yesturday'', i was asked to do a medical exam.
i have already done a medical exam when i was applying for a study permit...
In my application i joint a medical certificate to support my application, as i took couple semester off and part-time, so i am wondering if that is why they are asking for medical tests....
Medical tests are valid for one year, so I am assuming the test you did when applying for your study permit, is not valid anymore.